Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

(USAF) question about awards and decorations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I am 100% positive it's the meritorious unit award medal. I have the medal and two bronze oak leaves...so that's 3 correct? That's what the vmpf shows...

Well this is taken from Wikipedia...

The MUA is awarded to Air Force units for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding achievement or service in direct support of combat operations for at least 90 continuous days during the period of military operations against an armed enemy of the United States on or after September 11, 2001.

I don't have the OUA...not one! So what am I supposed to do? I am trying to figure out how often a unit can receive a MUA...looks like 90 continuous days in a year, you can receive one for that...if that's true. I should only have 2.

I'll ask someone higher up around here I guess.
Well hmm... good on ya. Do those happen to account for points when you test?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I dont think OUA or MUA give you any points on testing. Just meritorious service...stuff like that.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You start getting points with an achievement medal or better
Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GAH, now I'm out of date. Didn't know the AF brought back the GCM already. No big rush, being in the guard now I'll rarely ever have to wear my blues
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I am 100% positive it's the meritorious unit award medal. I have the medal and two bronze oak leaves...so that's 3 correct? That's what the vmpf shows...

I don't have the OUA...not one! So what am I supposed to do? I am trying to figure out how often a unit can receive a MUA...looks like 90 continuous days in a year, you can receive one for that...if that's true. I should only have 2.

I'll ask someone higher up around here I guess.
Okay I'm going to ask this quick to make sure we are talking about the right thing. Does your ribbon look like this:

To have two of those, you pretty much of would needed to be deployed twice around 2006/2007 to have two of them. I haven't seen anyone outside of the AO's get them. But in case I'm wrong, go here and look for yourself with every unit you've been assigned to:

http://w20.afpc.randolph.af.mil/awar...rchAwards.aspx

Originally Posted by the_merv
I've gotten 2 of them awards, exactly from the time frames that you guys are talking about..
The first was in summer of '04 during my deployment to Kir Kuk, Iraq, and the second was in summer 2006 during my deployment to Baghdad, Iraq. Both times were under the 332 AEW. I just got done with my third deployment, which to Tallil, Iraq, attached under the 332 AEG, so I'm keeping my eyes open for another one.
I've got a ton of Outstanding Unit awards, they give them out like candy. As far as the MUA's go, right place at the right time I guess..
I missed it by like 2 months, trust me I wasn't happy lol

Originally Posted by the_merv
I just looked at mine and it's messed up in a few places. I don't have my Iraq Campaign Metal, instead I have just a normal Expeditionary Metal. That and my MUA's aren't on there, but I still have the 2 notices that were sent out when we were awarded them. I'll have to bring my Travel Vouchers from my first 2 tours to them guys in MPF and have it straightened out.
Make sure you get that lovely star too for the OIFCM one. Gotta love vMPF
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

You don't get a star for each tour, it's for each phase of the operation you were involved in. It's completely possible to deploy once and get the ribbon and a star, and deploy twice and get only a ribbon.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

I was here at Tallil(currently here again) in late 2005 on AEF 7/8 and got the Iraqi Campaign Ribbon/Medal with bronze star device and the Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border. The brozne star device was issued from June 29, 2004 to Dec. 15, 2005 for the Iraqi Governance campaign.

That was in 2005, so I'm kinda curious what they give me this time around
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I just went through trying to get my ribbons straight right before I PCS'd. I had to have finance order my old travel vouchers from DFAS and wait for them to get here so I could prove I went on 3 deployments and get vMPF updated. Its a pain but your awards and decs section of the MPF should be able to help you. That is part of their job after all.

on another note: can anyone ever find a single oak leaf cluster device? My last base was sold out of then (Pope) and so is my new base (Bolling).
Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

problem solved..my rack is right...i have two MUAs
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00Z-28Maro
I just went through trying to get my ribbons straight right before I PCS'd. I had to have finance order my old travel vouchers from DFAS and wait for them to get here so I could prove I went on 3 deployments and get vMPF updated. Its a pain but your awards and decs section of the MPF should be able to help you. That is part of their job after all.

on another note: can anyone ever find a single oak leaf cluster device? My last base was sold out of then (Pope) and so is my new base (Bolling).
have you tried online?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigT2002
OUA are easy as crap to get. They are basically awarded to any base/squadron which passes an inspection above a SAT or has a direct impact on the missions at hand. In my 3 years at 723AMS at Ramstein, I got 4 OUA's because of what the mission was there.

MUA's are VERY hard to come by and there are probably only a handful of people who have more than 1, and they are usually SOF people. If you were in the 332AEW or Club Med, you got one 2 years ago....those were the last two to be given though. And before that, was like 2002.

GUA's are impossible unless your JPerran or one of those AFSC's. I have never seen anyone outside of Cops or SOF have them

My guess, is you were supposed to have the OUA and whoever put it in the system fucked it up and clicked the wrong ribbon. I can tell you right now, unless your a TSgt or above and you walk around with 2 oak leafs on that ribbon you will get called out fast.

You also don't have to listen to what the vMPF site shows for your decoration because 90% of them are wrong. It doesn't self update when you are awarded anything and has to be done manually by a CS rep in the MPF itself. The only ones that are automatic are your real decorations (e.g. medals). Your "been there" ribbons have to be manually added. PME ones are put in by the PME instructors after graduation. Automatic ones to the entire branch (e.g. GWOT) are automatic. The rest like marksmanship, GWOTE, Short/Long Tour, Unit Awards, etc have to be put in manually by proving you have received them.
What years were you in the 723, or have we already talked about this? I was in the 723 (crew chief) from 05-08 and i got no OUA's.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

i've seen a couple devices on a basic training ribbion haha
Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

GCM also includes Delayed Enlistment time. I have been in for 5.5yrs and have 1 cluster because of my 1 year DEP.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dex
i've seen a couple devices on a basic training ribbion haha
Haha thats pretty funny.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
What years were you in the 723, or have we already talked about this? I was in the 723 (crew chief) from 05-08 and i got no OUA's.
04-06. They got it from 2003-2006. I qualified for '03, '04, '05, and '06 by how the dates fell on the '03 one. You should have at LEAST 1 or 2 from the 723.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
have you tried online?
What site can you order ribbons and devices from? I did manage to find some oak leaf clusters, it just took a few weeks and I had to catch them before they sold out again. Thanks.
Kirk
Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

This site has a bunch of stuff

http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/ind...0bd97b2d515c01
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Many times awards are issued to a wing level or high organization and it is your responsibility to have them added to your records. You can do this with a copy of an EPR/OPR in some cases. For example:

I was stationed at Andersen AFB during Super Typhoon Omar (1992); after I left the island, pretty much anyone stationed there was awarded the Humanitarian Service Medal for the post-typhoon clean up and activities. I just took my EPRs to the MPF and they updated my record and handed my a medal on the spot. Of course this was way before the VMPF, so the procedures may be slightly different now.

I have also belonged to units that were awarded the Outstanding Unit or Organizational Excellence for the time I was stationed there, but I found out later. Once again, I had to visit the MPF to have them added. It is not realistic for the system to apply every unit award to everyone that should have been awarded. This should be considered your responsibility. The MPF should have a lift of every unit award in the USAF for you to review.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is wrong my VMPF says I have NONE!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

I found out last week that the 407th AEG(Ali Base) was awarded a MUA for the last time I was here(2005). Looks like I have to make a trip to MPF when I get back to the states to get my **** updated.

Quick Reply: (USAF) question about awards and decorations