Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

(USAF) question about awards and decorations

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default (USAF) question about awards and decorations

I always have followed what the vmpf shows. I'm not sure if it's right. I asked a friend and he says it's not always right and that you can get in big trouble if you don't have em right. So how are you supposed to know what ribbons you should have?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the VMPF rip to your local Awards and Decs section at MPF, and ask them to verify. I know for a fact that VMPF is not always correct, especially on devices. Perfect example, my VMPF shows that I should have 4 devices on my good conduct ribbon, but I have only been in 15 years...Good conduct was awarded every 4 years until they got rid of it.

Jack
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Take the VMPF rip to your local Awards and Decs section at MPF, and ask them to verify. I know for a fact that VMPF is not always correct, especially on devices. Perfect example, my VMPF shows that I should have 4 devices on my good conduct ribbon, but I have only been in 15 years...Good conduct was awarded every 4 years until they got rid of it.

Jack
mean every 3 and it just came back
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

yep, waiting on my GC to show up.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i have one meritorious unit award for sure...i've been in under 3 years and it's telling me i got 2 bronze oak leaves..that's not even possible right?

I'm not sure how it works cuz no one has explained it to me, but to me, the medal counts as one and each oak leaf is 1, which equals 3 awards..and a meritorious unit award is only every year right? Or do i just need to do some research?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Definitely not accurate.

I have a device on my AF training ribbon. Dont know how that happened.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about Outstanding Unit, or Meritorious Unit? You could very well have 2 Outstanding Unit's, but Meritorious unit's are fairly hard to come by.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowmc
Definitely not accurate.

I have a device on my AF training ribbon. Dont know how that happened.
You get a device if you cross over from enlisted to officer.

And while it's not always accurate, I don't think you can get in trouble for following it (unless of course its a big time award that is protected by the stolen valor act)
Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Teching In

My devices still aren't right after showing them all of my awards rips, so just remember what you've earned, and keep all the rips, especially if you get a short tour from the desert. Also, keep all your orders and travel vouchers.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Orders don't mean squat when getting ribbons from MPF. You have to have a filed travel voucher or an LOE from deployment.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I always have followed what the vmpf shows. I'm not sure if it's right. I asked a friend and he says it's not always right and that you can get in big trouble if you don't have em right. So how are you supposed to know what ribbons you should have?
If you make an honest attempt to get it right and you are following an official guideline of some sort and there is a mistake then I would not worry about it.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Are you talking about Outstanding Unit, or Meritorious Unit? You could very well have 2 Outstanding Unit's, but Meritorious unit's are fairly hard to come by.
Yes, 100% positive it's the meritorious unit medal...the vMPF shows 2 oak leaves on it. I've only been in 2 years and like 10 months.

Originally Posted by aggiez28
If you make an honest attempt to get it right and you are following an official guideline of some sort and there is a mistake then I would not worry about it.
thanks, that's what i was thinking as well
Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Yes, 100% positive it's the meritorious unit medal...the vMPF shows 2 oak leaves on it. I've only been in 2 years and like 10 months
So how many outstanding Units do you have? I have 5 outstanding units and zero meritorious unit awards. Sounds odd to me.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

OUA are easy as crap to get. They are basically awarded to any base/squadron which passes an inspection above a SAT or has a direct impact on the missions at hand. In my 3 years at 723AMS at Ramstein, I got 4 OUA's because of what the mission was there.

MUA's are VERY hard to come by and there are probably only a handful of people who have more than 1, and they are usually SOF people. If you were in the 332AEW or Club Med, you got one 2 years ago....those were the last two to be given though. And before that, was like 2002.

GUA's are impossible unless your JPerran or one of those AFSC's. I have never seen anyone outside of Cops or SOF have them

My guess, is you were supposed to have the OUA and whoever put it in the system fucked it up and clicked the wrong ribbon. I can tell you right now, unless your a TSgt or above and you walk around with 2 oak leafs on that ribbon you will get called out fast.

You also don't have to listen to what the vMPF site shows for your decoration because 90% of them are wrong. It doesn't self update when you are awarded anything and has to be done manually by a CS rep in the MPF itself. The only ones that are automatic are your real decorations (e.g. medals). Your "been there" ribbons have to be manually added. PME ones are put in by the PME instructors after graduation. Automatic ones to the entire branch (e.g. GWOT) are automatic. The rest like marksmanship, GWOTE, Short/Long Tour, Unit Awards, etc have to be put in manually by proving you have received them.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
So how many outstanding Units do you have? I have 5 outstanding units and zero meritorious unit awards. Sounds odd to me.
I am 100% positive it's the meritorious unit award medal. I have the medal and two bronze oak leaves...so that's 3 correct? That's what the vmpf shows...

Well this is taken from Wikipedia...

The MUA is awarded to Air Force units for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding achievement or service in direct support of combat operations for at least 90 continuous days during the period of military operations against an armed enemy of the United States on or after September 11, 2001.

Originally Posted by BigT2002
My guess, is you were supposed to have the OUA and whoever put it in the system fucked it up and clicked the wrong ribbon. I can tell you right now, unless your a TSgt or above and you walk around with 2 oak leafs on that ribbon you will get called out fast.
I don't have the OUA...not one! So what am I supposed to do? I am trying to figure out how often a unit can receive a MUA...looks like 90 continuous days in a year, you can receive one for that...if that's true. I should only have 2.

I'll ask someone higher up around here I guess.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On AFPC, there is a link that tells you what unit/location and time frame will earn you certain medals. The MUA isn't an automatic deal. My only one came from 2004. I've been deployed 5 different times to 4 different locations (not like that is alot).
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

good old Vmpf, i've been in for over 7 years and on Vmpf i don't have a BMT ribbon, so i guess i never graduated from BMT... LOL
Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
On AFPC, there is a link that tells you what unit/location and time frame will earn you certain medals. The MUA isn't an automatic deal. My only one came from 2004. I've been deployed 5 different times to 4 different locations (not like that is alot).
Originally Posted by BigT2002
MUA's are VERY hard to come by and there are probably only a handful of people who have more than 1, and they are usually SOF people. If you were in the 332AEW or Club Med, you got one 2 years ago....those were the last two to be given though. And before that, was like 2002.
I've gotten 2 of them awards, exactly from the time frames that you guys are talking about..
The first was in summer of '04 during my deployment to Kir Kuk, Iraq, and the second was in summer 2006 during my deployment to Baghdad, Iraq. Both times were under the 332 AEW. I just got done with my third deployment, which to Tallil, Iraq, attached under the 332 AEG, so I'm keeping my eyes open for another one.
I've got a ton of Outstanding Unit awards, they give them out like candy. As far as the MUA's go, right place at the right time I guess..

Last edited by the_merv; 02-20-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Your orderly room would know if they have gotten Meritorious Unit the past three years...since that is a pretty big deal. And you usually have to get a Outstanding Unit to get a meritorious.

Or try calling your local MPF, the awards and decs section, and Im sure they could review your records and fix what needs to be. Cause I highly doubt you got Meritorious the last 3 years.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I just looked at mine and it's messed up in a few places. I don't have my Iraq Campaign Metal, instead I have just a normal Expeditionary Metal. That and my MUA's aren't on there, but I still have the 2 notices that were sent out when we were awarded them. I'll have to bring my Travel Vouchers from my first 2 tours to them guys in MPF and have it straightened out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (USAF) question about awards and decorations