Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

They Have No More Jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default They Have No More Jobs!

Well, I got up today at 4:00 a.m. today to go to MEPS down in Miami. I fly through my physical and medical portion of the test. Found out I have a color deficiency and cant tell some colors apart. This is news to me, I mean I do audio wiring in my shop class in my high school and never screwed up, but they dont care I guess.

Then I get the pleasure of waiting from 10:30 till 4 pm, with the only excitment being going to the bathroom. So then my recruiter walks in and says I will take care of you. Then 10 minutes later he tells me with my asvab score of a 56 and having a "color deficiency" the NAVY has no jobs availiable for me in active.

30 minutes after that he says he has a EA (Engineering Aid) for the reserves available. So now im at the hotel computer typing this, pissed cause I cant go out on my boat tomorrow to fish, because i have to go to MEPS again.

My real question here is, has anyone changed their job from reserve to active? My recruiter says its no problems, I just want to make sure he is not blowing smoke up my tail pipe.

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Launching!

sounds like its time to leave that place and figure out something else. your not committed until you get on the plane for basic
Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See thats the thing I really want to be apart of the NAVY, it just seems like I am striking out
Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is very hard, almost impossible, to go active from the reserves. mostly because the Navy is downsizing due to being way overmanned on the active side and about 80% on the reserve side.

You recruiter is definitely blowing smoke up your ***. He may be correct that their are no AD jobs out there for your situation, but the reserve/active transition is no joke.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what do you guys suggest I do, I can still say no tomorrow. Should I take it and be apart of the Navy and try to switch down the road, or say no and wait till the economy settles which may be a long time. My recruiter said, hes no longer bringing anyone down to meps anymore if they dont have a high score. I just dont want to be screwed into something thats not what I want.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998MysticZ28
I just dont want to be screwed into something thats not what I want.
You just answered your own question. Don't do anything that you don't REALLY want to do, because the military is a SERIOUS commitment.

Do you really want to be stuck doing something you didn't want to do in the first place for EIGHT years?
so what do you guys suggest I do, I can still say no tomorrow. Should I take it and be apart of the Navy and try to switch down the road,
I am very serious when I tell you there is more of a likelyhood of you joing the Navy reserves and then going AD Army, then ever being a part of AD Navy if you go the reserve route first. I have seen MANY people try to convert and NONE of them were accepted. Most rates in the Active Duty Navy are seriously overmanned.

The only way anyone in the reserves will be considered for active duty, is usually if they are prior service, or in the O programs.

or say no and wait till the economy settles which may be a long time. My recruiter said, hes no longer bringing anyone down to meps anymore if they dont have a high score.
Have you looked at the other branches at all? Your recruiter sounds like he isn't trying too hard. Is there another recruiting branch near you?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

www.GOARMY.com
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Even if you do find a job your still going to be in DEP for 6+ months i say try another branch DEP takes some of the excitment away when your waiting for so long. Your line scores must have also not been that high becasue i scored right around what you got but had high line scores in the mechanical and electrical part basically did good with everything except math parts and it opened up alot of things but that was back in Oct. I also was surfing ls1tech while at the hotel though.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you study and re-take the asvab. Don't let the recruiter bully you or intimidate you. If he's being a dick, go to a different recruiter.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Why don't you study and re-take the asvab. Don't let the recruiter bully you or intimidate you. If he's being a dick, go to a different recruiter.
Exactly, don't worry about what your recruiter says/does, because it is your life/career. All you are to him is a number, even if he is a "good guy".
Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

As stated above: study and re-take the ASVAB if you must join the Navy.
As for your recruiter saying he's not bringing anyone to MEPS without a high score. LOL
That may be true (for THIS month). Recruiters live month to month. If he makes mission (meets his quota) for the month he's the sh*t! If he doesn't make it the next month he's a piece of sh*t. That's how the station commander sees it.

And Jmill was right, nothing says you can't go to a diff recruiter. May help.

Unless your in a hurry, time is on your side. Study, re-take the test and check back w/ the recruiter towards the end (about the 20th) of each month.

Or, you can join the Army and get paid to blow sh*t up! LOL

Scott
Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

retake your asvab and try to get a higher score.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need a higher asvab score.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

like the others have said dont sign it unless your going to be ready for the next 4-8 years of your life to be for the military, expessially with a job that you dont want... oh and hurry up and wait is a part of the lifestyle we live lol
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't do it unless you are 100% sure thats what you want to do. I didn't get the job I wanted and it's not been the funnest 3 years of my life, but I've made due.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
You need a higher asvab score.
Brad you hit it the nail on the head!

That score is the suck. Did you even try? Quit your whining and bitching and nextime your elgible to take the ASVAB, score better. The Armed Services do have a mininum standard you have to meet. If you want to be Navy get a better score, other wise look at Army.
Have you killed anybody lately? If not, Army sounds like a win.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
x4........ FWIW i was altered when i took the ASVAB and scored a 79.... AF recruiter was too busy on the phone with his g/f so i walked next door into the Army office and the rest is history
Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
x4........ FWIW i was altered when i took the ASVAB and scored a 79.... AF recruiter was too busy on the phone with his g/f so i walked next door into the Army office and the rest is history
hahaha. nicely done!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Those that have been there

Originally Posted by 1998MysticZ28
Well, I got up today at 4:00 a.m. today to go to MEPS down in Miami. I fly through my physical and medical portion of the test. Found out I have a color deficiency and cant tell some colors apart. This is news to me, I mean I do audio wiring in my shop class in my high school and never screwed up, but they dont care I guess.

Then I get the pleasure of waiting from 10:30 till 4 pm, with the only excitment being going to the bathroom. So then my recruiter walks in and says I will take care of you. Then 10 minutes later he tells me with my asvab score of a 56 and having a "color deficiency" the NAVY has no jobs availiable for me in active.

30 minutes after that he says he has a EA (Engineering Aid) for the reserves available. So now im at the hotel computer typing this, pissed cause I cant go out on my boat tomorrow to fish, because i have to go to MEPS again.

My real question here is, has anyone changed their job from reserve to active? My recruiter says its no problems, I just want to make sure he is not blowing smoke up my tail pipe.

Thanks

Chris

I was Army Spec Ops 13 year vet and my daughter wanted to join and she was smitten in the fact that she did not want to do Army.

My daughter is hating life I had her hooked up, even though she had issues with color also, with a sign on bonus, she had an MOS bonus and she was going to have "Stability" for 2 years in another words she was not going any where for 2 years, which she could have started school asked to go into the program green to gold and go to school and the army would pay her as an E-5 until she graduated from college. Listen to people who know more than you. Oh and the total amount of bonuses added to $22K.

The way I look at it all branches are good but, she is doing laundry in her ship right now, the job she was offered was full when she got to her ship and she is now either cooking or folding sheets.

You also have to understand that there are bonuses for recruiters for filling certain jobs, and they can say that there are no jobs available just so they can fill a specific job and that comes straight from DOD.

Make the right choices so you have no regrets I have none.

Oh and don't be stupid get a girl knocked up or out of stupidity, go and get married you really hate life then!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 AM
11 Second Club

Not to down all the GO ARMY guys in here.. but Im an AD2.. I love my job, I work on f18 hornets, and well, its not that bad.. If you like working on stuff, turning wrenchs, maybe taking a jet up on high power every now and again.. I do it everyday.. That whole color blind test **** is dumb, I dont read wires, I remove motors, work on fuel cells, and fix **** that people break. Its not they BEST job in the world.. like maybe Ashley force's pit crew might be... but its fun. I have done 4 years, and I plan on doing atleast another 3, if not more.. so if its something YOU want, then dont just stop or change your mind, because someone told you no.. .... ... .. .. By the way I had a 76 on my asvab, and I just wanted to be a mech.. so thats what I picked.. . I do know that with the manning issues, and budget cuts, and whatever else is going on, they might be "pulling back" the number of people they let in every month, but that dont mean you cant get in.. If you have any other questions, hit me up.

Quick Reply: They Have No More Jobs!