Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

anyone here voluntarily reclassed to infantry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here voluntarily reclassed to infantry?

im a 94E working in an S6 shop for an avaiation unit. the discipline and work ethic is disgusting. leaders appear to be more concerened about how it makes them look if they chew out a somone for doing what a shitbag does (sham/talk back/not sharing their load of the work) rather them implementing any sort of real punishment or consequences. the attitude of the junior enlisted makes it appear like they said to their recruiter :"hey, i dont wanna do any work, please put me in the most bitch job the army has"

I just want the "other" (arguably "real") army experience. so have any of you guys done it or care to offer opinions on what the other side is like?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Im not in the army but the marine infantry is the same way. I think there are just goin to be worthless pieces of **** everywhere. We have these 3 year lcpl's (E-3) who went to iraq once and didnt see **** and think theyre combat vets and rate to not do **** and be lazy shitbags. Its everywhere just depends on where you want to deal with it and how many NJPs you want to take care of it yourself.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

you make a good point, theres worthless pieces of **** everywhere including the civilian sector.. maybe im just missing the comradarie that i see the infantry has.. my support unit is all about sharpshooting and backstabbing to make yourself look good. i try to promote and do every little extra thing like grilling out or movie night (proxima + blanket) to keep the s6 cohesive but every now and again that bullshit mentality slips underneath the door. ive been in this unit for almost 2 yrs and ive just about had it.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I did it. Granted, I was only a POG for 4 months, and I was still on the line before I officially reclassed because infantry was what I wanted to do in the first place, and I just had that relayed through my chain of command up to the CSM, and him being a grunt himself, put me right where I wanted to be. I'm happy I "officially" made the switch, and I don't regret it one bit. Life's better over here.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

So my window opens tommorow, I have a huge decision to make so i figured i would TTT this for some last minute advice. I would be giving up 12k over my last 2 years in my MOS right now (correct me if im wrong but i do believe i would lose my bonus if i reclassed) to switch to 11b. thats alot of money for a guy my age (21) but i truley think i would be happier. ANYBODY willing to give advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned

I'm not in the Army I just work with you guys so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I would try to go higher than infantry if I were you, I mean go to an ACTUAL ranger batallion (not just the school, a tab doesn't mean much beyond a pat on the back if you don't go to the 75th) or an SF group. I respect the infantry guys completeley, but I don't know how they put up with that **** man. They get treated like retarded little kids, too many of them end up being shitbags and brings the standard down for the whole group, and now because you can't trust 3 or 4 dudes to not lose their ******* NVG's, the whole platoon does random SI checks and other stupid ****. It's the exact opposite of any kind of big-boy system, at least it was with the guys I worked with. A lot of them were good dudes, and the desire to fight and be in a combat job is more than admirable, I just don't think I could handle being treated like that. That's just me though.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Yea Jperran has a point. I would go sfas before I would go infantry, the worst you would get is that you did not make it. Train up and go. I used to be a 25S before I went to 18E.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

okay okay time to fess up... it is my absolute DREAM to be on an ODA. ive wanted this for quite some time but never really had the "tools" to actively pursue it. im about 70% there physically (in my mind) .. i havent thrown on the pack yet though and my pull ups sucks but those are my only 2 major physical downfalls. i have spoken to the SF recruiter back at drum and i will be doing the 5 week prep they run there before heading off to selection. i just dont want to be a letdown to my team because i dont have ANY outside the wire experience.. ive been in an aviation unit doing S6 work =/ i have a fire that burns deep inside of me to do this type of unconventional work.. i cant imagine myself doing anything else. So i am headed in that direction but it just sucks hanging around waiting for it to come(SFAS).. ill be back in less than a week though so its almost time to get the ball rolling.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matthewjernigan
okay okay time to fess up... it is my absolute DREAM to be on an ODA. ive wanted this for quite some time but never really had the "tools" to actively pursue it. im about 70% there physically (in my mind) .. i havent thrown on the pack yet though and my pull ups sucks but those are my only 2 major physical downfalls. i have spoken to the SF recruiter back at drum and i will be doing the 5 week prep they run there before heading off to selection. i just dont want to be a letdown to my team because i dont have ANY outside the wire experience.. ive been in an aviation unit doing S6 work =/ i have a fire that burns deep inside of me to do this type of unconventional work.. i cant imagine myself doing anything else. So i am headed in that direction but it just sucks hanging around waiting for it to come(SFAS).. ill be back in less than a week though so its almost time to get the ball rolling.
If you really have that much drive to make it, I don't think you will be letting anybody down. Good luck to you man.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey bro, if you want to go 18 series, go for it. Don't let anyone hold you back. I have an offer to go after I finish my tour, but I'm going to go to Kosovo for a year 1st, then make my decision. Aim high bro.

Quick Reply: anyone here voluntarily reclassed to infantry?