Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any fighter jet pilots in here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all you guys going to Columbus AFB:

At some point in your training you are going to call the VT-7 duty desk at NAS Meridian and tell the Ensign or 1stLT on the phone that you are going to be flying in the vicinity of IR-044, or VR-1030/31/32, but you will be several thousand feet above our route structure. He is going to pretend to write down your BUZZSAW callsign and all your entry/exit times, and tell you have a good flight.

In reality, he is watching TV and looking at pictures of Megan fox on the internet, not paying 1 bit of attention to what you're saying.

I just thought you would like to know.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT Malice
For all you guys going to Columbus AFB:

At some point in your training you are going to call the VT-7 duty desk at NAS Meridian and tell the Ensign or 1stLT on the phone that you are going to be flying in the vicinity of IR-044, or VR-1030/31/32, but you will be several thousand feet above our route structure. He is going to pretend to write down your BUZZSAW callsign and all your entry/exit times, and tell you have a good flight.

In reality, he is watching TV and looking at pictures of Megan fox on the internet, not paying 1 bit of attention to what you're saying.

I just thought you would like to know.
Sounds like me at Shaw with VR-92 and VR-1059
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Be sure you know what you're getting into...

Had my 2nd F-15 flight today, and man I got wore out again. Dude's flying fighters have one helluva job, but it's SUPER DEMANDING!!

I think I'll keep my cush Air Traffic Control job in the air conditioning!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BADMFR

Had my 2nd F-15 flight today, and man I got wore out again. Dude's flying fighters have one helluva job, but it's SUPER DEMANDING!!

both the jobs Im looking at doing are going to ware me out. You just gotta suck it up because it's rewarding in the end.

My Dad lives in Norfolk and theyre always flying, seriously, all the time. Kind of made me want to be a pilot even more seeing/hearing them everyday
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
As of right now, no. I got two years in and waiting to take the other two when I figure out exactly what I want to major in. What are some majors I could take that would correlate with being a pilot? Or do I just do whatever major appeals to me?

Your young OP. With only 2 years in college I guarantee you will change your mind multiple times. If you want to be a USAF pilot I hope your GPA is really high because they will look at that. Being a fighter pilot in the military is a hard strenous goal but if thats what you truly wanna be then go for it and dont look back. They are a rare breed exceptionally smart, but would get their *** kicked in a arm wrestling match or get laughed at when they hit the strength meter with a hammer at the state fair. LOL sorry flyboys I had to but they still manage to get laid more than anyone else. Chicks love pilots but you can always go enlisted and tell them your a pilot they dont know the difference.

The Navy/Marine side would be easier to get into. You gotta have some big Cohonies to land that thing on a moving a/c carrier/

No I am not a pilot just knew a lot when I was in the military. I owe my life to a lot of them
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BADMOON
Your young OP. With only 2 years in college I guarantee you will change your mind multiple times. If you want to be a USAF pilot I hope your GPA is really high because they will look at that. Being a fighter pilot in the military is a hard strenous goal but if thats what you truly wanna be then go for it and dont look back. They are a rare breed exceptionally smart, but would get their *** kicked in a arm wrestling match or get laughed at when they hit the strength meter with a hammer at the state fair. LOL sorry flyboys I had to but they still manage to get laid more than anyone else. Chicks love pilots but you can always go enlisted and tell them your a pilot they dont know the difference.

The Navy/Marine side would be easier to get into. You gotta have some big Cohonies to land that thing on a moving a/c carrier/

No I am not a pilot just knew a lot when I was in the military. I owe my life to a lot of them
haha thanks for this information, I will definitely try but the Marine or Army route will probably be my fall back.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I really like flying the Harrier, but I LOVE the F-15. I wanna try and do an exhange tour and fly F-15C's for a couple years, then come back to the USMC.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I really like flying the Harrier, but I LOVE the F-15. I wanna try and do an exhange tour and fly F-15C's for a couple years, then come back to the USMC.
Better hurry!! Most the F-15's will be phased out very soon.... Gotta try and be sneaky and get me a 3rd ride before they are all phased out of Tyndall.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 PM
NKAWTG...N

Better hurry!! Most the F-15's will be phased out very soon.... Gotta try and be sneaky and get me a 3rd ride before they are all phased out of Tyndall.
If by soon you mean 20 years...then yes.

The -15C's aren't going anywhere, they just got an upgraded radar and got off boresight helmet targeting also.

With only 187 Raptors, the -15C's will be around for a while.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

No one in our pipeline gets plucked to do UAV's. What does happen sometimes is a 6 month IA to UAV's. After I finish Harrier school, I could be selected to go to Iraq and fly UAV's for about 6 months, then I'll come back home, get a quick Harrier refresher, and be off to my gun squadron for a 3 year tour.
With all do respect Sir. I won't let you take my job. Currently their are no officer's flying UAV's in the Marine Corps as there are only enlisted operators flying the RQ-7B Shadow and are Mission Commanders for the Insitu ScanEagle. We are currently working on a new TUAV but it is yet to be named and fielded. We do have many officers with us from other MOS's but they do not fly the UAV, they just make the calls for where to go and when. But I envy you and would give up my keyboard and joystick for your nozzles anyday.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt

The -15C's aren't going anywhere, they just got an upgraded radar and got off boresight helmet targeting also.

schwartz and donley said similar things but there are going to be many 15's getting cut, just not all of them. tyndall will be losing 15's
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Teching In

The no-bullshit solution regarding the desire to become an AF Fighter Pilot is to apply to the Academy, be accepted, kick everyone's *** in everything, get to flight school, kick everyone's *** there as well, and then maybe you'll have a 50/50 shot.

Any other means will be a shot in the dark unless you are honestly a cut above the rest of society in terms of fitness, psyche, intelligence, stamina, and adaptiveness.

Man, I sound like a pilot right now. Yikes.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
NKAWTG...N

Academy? Please.

I wouldn't touch the AFA with a ten foot poll. I LOVED my college experience, wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

^yea, Id rather stay at a University and kick *** in it than be at a school that feels like a "boot camp"
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nmarple254
With all do respect Sir. I won't let you take my job. Currently their are no officer's flying UAV's in the Marine Corps as there are only enlisted operators flying the RQ-7B Shadow and are Mission Commanders for the Insitu ScanEagle. We are currently working on a new TUAV but it is yet to be named and fielded. We do have many officers with us from other MOS's but they do not fly the UAV, they just make the calls for where to go and when. But I envy you and would give up my keyboard and joystick for your nozzles anyday.
haha, way to call my bluff. We just had a capt return from Iraqistan who was IA as a UAV Det OIC for like 6 months. He told me that he was in charge of a couple enlisted operators, and a couple civ contractors. He spent most of his time there getting into screaming arguements with the air control officers trying to get operating airspace for his UAV's. He never touched the controls of a flying machine.

Originally Posted by StoleIt

I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting an exchange tour, but if I do, it will be in 4-6 years from now. I'm sure they will have plenty of Eagles in 6 years.

People always ask me if I'm gonna by flying an F-35 in the very new future. Yes, the F-35 is new and nice, but the Harrier will be around until 2024 or later.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Then after all this is finished, you get to rely on my Highschool diploma to make sure those jets you step into are in tip top flying status. LOL nah Gl on your choice whatever it may be, there is to many officers in here, im out....

Quick Reply: Any fighter jet pilots in here?