Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any fighter jet pilots in here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fighter jet pilots in here?

Im going into the Military and I want to make sure I am doing what I want to do and one of them is being a jet pilot, the other is joining the Army and joining Special Operations so now it is down to these two. What is it like? What's the training consist of? What are the requirements? Is there anything I am missing out that I will want to know about this career?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Are you going officer for SF? I'm not sure how the Army works with their stuff but I thought you couldn't just "jump" into SF's without holding a different MOS first or something. With the AF you could go CRO or CTO in be in Special Tactics Squadrons though. Training is intense and usually has a 90%+ washout rate. Applying to be a pilot doesn't automatically mean you will be a fighter pilot either. After you get done with your indoc class they break it down (based on score IIRC) and then divy out the selection for each airframe. You don't do well enough you could very well be a AWACS or C-130 pilot. Not everyone can be Iron Eagle ya know.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Launching!

I am in the USMC and I fly the AV-8B Harrier. It's not technically a "fighter", but it is definatley a ferocious tactical jet.

If you have a 4 year college degree, you should join the USMC or the Navy. They will garauntee you a slot in flight school if you pass the air aptitude test and pass a flight physical exam.

After OCS, which is basically officer boot camp, you will go flight school in pensacola FL. If you join the Marines, you will make a 6 month pit stop in Quantico VA for infantry training at TBS.

After 6 months in primary flight training, you can select props, helos, or jets based on your score. When I finished primary, 80% of guys got helos. It's surely differnent now. The percentages always change. If you get jets, you go to jet school for 15-18months and fly the T-45. After that, you again select a pipeline based on your grades and availability.

If you're in the Navy, your choices are Hornets, or super Hornets.
Marines can choose from Hornets, Harriers, or Prowlers.

Thats the $2 version of the story. If your really interested, go to marineofficer.com, or some Navy website for more detailed info.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT Malice
I am in the USMC and I fly the AV-8B Harrier. It's not technically a "fighter", but it is definatley a ferocious tactical jet.

If you have a 4 year college degree, you should join the USMC or the Navy. They will garauntee you a slot in flight school if you pass the air aptitude test and pass a flight physical exam.

After OCS, which is basically officer boot camp, you will go flight school in pensacola FL. If you join the Marines, you will make a 6 month pit stop in Quantico VA for infantry training at TBS.

After 6 months in primary flight training, you can select props, helos, or jets based on your score. When I finished primary, 80% of guys got helos. It's surely differnent now. The percentages always change. If you get jets, you go to jet school for 15-18months and fly the T-45. After that, you again select a pipeline based on your grades and availability.

If you're in the Navy, your choices are Hornets, or super Hornets.
Marines can choose from Hornets, Harriers, or Prowlers.

Thats the $2 version of the story. If your really interested, go to marineofficer.com, or some Navy website for more detailed info.
wow, sounds like an awesome chance to take. Thanks for this helpful information.

And for Big T, I wasnt saying straight into Special Operations, just what I would want to strive for if I do join the Army or Marines.

This may just end up being a coin toss...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can enlist in the army into the 18X program which you striaght in to special ops preperation and then go to selection.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

I am in pilot training for the USAF right now.

If you really only have your heart set on being a "fighter" pilot than I'd say stay away from the USAF. We are rapidly expanding our UAV program and barely any fighters drop these days. Per UPT class (T-38 track) there are maybe two fighters, one bomber, one FAIP, one NSA, and the rest UAVs.

Last Columbus drop:
T-38:
F-15E Seymour
U-28 Hurlburt
T-38 FAIP
T-6 FAIP

The last ENJPPT slot was damn good (atleast recently, two years ago the same drop would have been considered garbage):
1 F-22
2 F-15E
1 KC-135
2 C-17
2 F-15C
1 B-52
1 B-1
1 T-6
1 T-38
1 UAV

ENJJPT is a lot harder to get as far as UPT tracks go btw...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Right now, it's harder to get into pilot training in the Air Force than it is to get into Harvard or Stanford. I just read that next year's pilot training Fighter and Bomber quota is 217 pilots (if my poor old brain remembers correctly), which is a fraction of the drone operator quota. I don't mean to dismiss the drone [pilot] operators, as that is a very important job, but to a pilot, it's worse than kissing your sister. It's more like marrying her, and having multiple genetically damaged children.
Looking at StoleIt's numbers above, you not only have to do the equivalent of getting into Stanford to get a pilot training slot, you have to be top of your class to get a fighter.
I like Lt Malice's idea. The Harrier is more of a fighter than the Air Force's F-117. Don't forget, those Harrier squadrons will be transitioning into the F-35 in the not too distant future.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a couple buddies that got FAIP'd at Vance AFB that ended up going to 16s after they were done with that, so it isn't all doom and gloom if you end up getting that...well, provided the new students don't kill you, and they don't turn the 16s into drones too quickly.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Right now, it's harder to get into pilot training in the Air Force than it is to get into Harvard or Stanford. I just read that next year's pilot training Fighter and Bomber quota is 217 pilots (if my poor old brain remembers correctly), which is a fraction of the drone operator quota. I don't mean to dismiss the drone [pilot] operators, as that is a very important job, but to a pilot, it's worse than kissing your sister. It's more like marrying her, and having multiple genetically damaged children.
Looking at StoleIt's numbers above, you not only have to do the equivalent of getting into Stanford to get a pilot training slot, you have to be top of your class to get a fighter.
I like Lt Malice's idea. The Harrier is more of a fighter than the Air Force's F-117. Don't forget, those Harrier squadrons will be transitioning into the F-35 in the not too distant future.

I believe it. Maybe in a couple years after the F-35 gets spun up the numbers will go back up, but for now being a fighter pilot in the AF is very very improbable.

OP, how old are you? First you need to commission, then get your pilot slot (or vice versa depending on your commissioning source). So you are looking at ROTC, OTS, or Academy. There's about 1000 total pilot slot per year, split unevenly (heavy on the academy). Then you will need to pass IFS (I am here right now actually), then you need to kick *** at UPT, track T-38s, then you need to kick *** in T-38s...then via the will of the Gods you need to pray the figher you want is in your drop.

Then you need to pass that fighters B-course. If you want -22's you need to go -15C's (they are transitioning to -16D's now though) and prove yourself to those IP's, otherwise they will just keep you at the -15/-16.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I had a couple buddies that got FAIP'd at Vance AFB that ended up going to 16s after they were done with that, so it isn't all doom and gloom if you end up getting that...well, provided the new students don't kill you, and they don't turn the 16s into drones too quickly.
Yea there is nothing wrong with getting FAIPed. But if you can get your #1 right out of the box, then do it! If you can't, then go for FAIP and you have a second chance.

Edit: Oh yea all the Vipers and Hogs aren't dropping to studs. They are broken and their B course is shut down. -15C drops are rare but starting to pick up since they finally got the hole longeron thingy figured out. Pretty much all it is are Mud Hen's and bombers.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Launching!

I forgot that Navy/Marines do IFS too. We do it at civilian fields with civ planes and instructors though. It's a very easy going process of about 6 weeks.

No one in our pipeline gets plucked to do UAV's. What does happen sometimes is a 6 month IA to UAV's. After I finish Harrier school, I could be selected to go to Iraq and fly UAV's for about 6 months, then I'll come back home, get a quick Harrier refresher, and be off to my gun squadron for a 3 year tour.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Teching In

you can also go army WOCS, high school to flight school(helicopters).
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by LT Malice
I forgot that Navy/Marines do IFS too. We do it at civilian fields with civ planes and instructors though. It's a very easy going process of about 6 weeks.

No one in our pipeline gets plucked to do UAV's. What does happen sometimes is a 6 month IA to UAV's. After I finish Harrier school, I could be selected to go to Iraq and fly UAV's for about 6 months, then I'll come back home, get a quick Harrier refresher, and be off to my gun squadron for a 3 year tour.
We used to do IFS (then IFT) that way, but found that the quality of instruction varied so much it was pretty much worthless. This is more an intro to military flying than it is to GA flying.

We have a 3 year UAV tour...then supposed to go back to whatever jet. But after big blue non-volled so many people (TAMI21)...nobody really trusts it.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brad8266
You can enlist in the army into the 18X program which you striaght in to special ops preperation and then go to selection.
Yup, this is my plan if I do end up going this route.
Originally Posted by StoleIt
I am in pilot training for the USAF right now.

If you really only have your heart set on being a "fighter" pilot than I'd say stay away from the USAF. We are rapidly expanding our UAV program and barely any fighters drop these days. Per UPT class (T-38 track) there are maybe two fighters, one bomber, one FAIP, one NSA, and the rest UAVs.

Last Columbus drop:
T-38:
F-15E Seymour
U-28 Hurlburt
T-38 FAIP
T-6 FAIP

The last ENJPPT slot was damn good (atleast recently, two years ago the same drop would have been considered garbage):
1 F-22
2 F-15E
1 KC-135
2 C-17
2 F-15C
1 B-52
1 B-1
1 T-6
1 T-38
1 UAV

ENJJPT is a lot harder to get as far as UPT tracks go btw...
So what you are saying is dont be a fighter pilot? If it is this hard to be a fighter pilot I would be willing to try my hardest to fly. So would it be worth all the hard work or are you saying that my percentage of actually getting into the program now a days is just too low?
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Yea, plus Id be getting infantry training as well which would be a plus.
I believe it. Maybe in a couple years after the F-35 gets spun up the numbers will go back up, but for now being a fighter pilot in the AF is very very improbable.

OP, how old are you? First you need to commission, then get your pilot slot (or vice versa depending on your commissioning source). So you are looking at ROTC, OTS, or Academy. There's about 1000 total pilot slot per year, split unevenly (heavy on the academy). Then you will need to pass IFS (I am here right now actually), then you need to kick *** at UPT, track T-38s, then you need to kick *** in T-38s...then via the will of the Gods you need to pray the figher you want is in your drop.

Then you need to pass that fighters B-course. If you want -22's you need to go -15C's (they are transitioning to -16D's now though) and prove yourself to those IP's, otherwise they will just keep you at the -15/-16.

Yea there is nothing wrong with getting FAIPed. But if you can get your #1 right out of the box, then do it! If you can't, then go for FAIP and you have a second chance.

Edit: Oh yea all the Vipers and Hogs aren't dropping to studs. They are broken and their B course is shut down. -15C drops are rare but starting to pick up since they finally got the hole longeron thingy figured out. Pretty much all it is are Mud Hen's and bombers.
Im 20 years old and that would be what I would want to fly if I was to join the AQir Force are the 22's.
Originally Posted by sparky1397r
you can also go army WOCS, high school to flight school(helicopters).
I was also thinking of this as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this has really helped me know what Im getting into. Im going to go by a recruiter here shortly.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
So what you are saying is dont be a fighter pilot? If it is this hard to be a fighter pilot I would be willing to try my hardest to fly. So would it be worth all the hard work or are you saying that my percentage of actually getting into the program now a days is just too low?
No, by all means if thats what your heart is set on...then persue it to the max! But you also need to be realistic. I want to be a Hog driver, but right now they aren't even dropping to -38 studs since their RTU/B course is all jacked up (wing cracks and C upgrade).

Im 20 years old and that would be what I would want to fly if I was to join the AQir Force are the 22's.
Are you working on a degree? You HAVE to be an officer to be a pilot in the USAF.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

No, by all means if thats what your heart is set on...then persue it to the max! But you also need to be realistic. I want to be a Hog driver, but right now they aren't even dropping to -38 studs since their RTU/B course is all jacked up (wing cracks and C upgrade).

Understood

Are you working on a degree? You HAVE to be an officer to be a pilot in the USAF.
As of right now, no. I got two years in and waiting to take the other two when I figure out exactly what I want to major in. What are some majors I could take that would correlate with being a pilot? Or do I just do whatever major appeals to me?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
NKAWTG...N

As of right now, no. I got two years in and waiting to take the other two when I figure out exactly what I want to major in. What are some majors I could take that would correlate with being a pilot? Or do I just do whatever major appeals to me?
Some schools have straight up aviation degrees, like the University of Illinois (my alma mater), Perdue, Southern Illinois University...etc.

Any type of engineering the AF loves (IE: Technical degree).

The aviation degrees are stupid expensive though, just a heads up. So since you already have two years down it looks like you would go the OTS route. You will need a 3.0 just to get your packet looked at, and a 3.5+ to be competitive. It's ALOT easier via ROTC (my 2.8 speaks for itself ).

Also with OTS any recommendation letters are good, preferably from someone with stars on their shoulders or from major politicians.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Some schools have straight up aviation degrees, like the University of Illinois (my alma mater), Perdue, Southern Illinois University...etc.

Any type of engineering the AF loves (IE: Technical degree).

The aviation degrees are stupid expensive though, just a heads up. So since you already have two years down it looks like you would go the OTS route. You will need a 3.0 just to get your packet looked at, and a 3.5+ to be competitive. It's ALOT easier via ROTC (my 2.8 speaks for itself ).

Also with OTS any recommendation letters are good, preferably from someone with stars on their shoulders or from major politicians.
Im getting motivated...

Thanks for the info man
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really doesn't matter what your major is. Your TBAS scores, AFOQT scores, grades and commanders rating (in ROTC) is what determines your pilot selection. I'm headed to columbus for undergraduate pilot training and I was a history major at Southern Illinois
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

if you have a local reserve station that flys fighters that may be something to look into. You might have a better chance getting into the pilot slot with the usaf that way then going active duty. I looked into going air force enlisted to air force last year and it was easier to get a pilot spot then a desk slot, but fighter pilot much harder. I work at Luke AFB which is the f16 training base, and well there are officers here doing desk jobs waiting to go to pilot school still
Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Swang
It really doesn't matter what your major is. Your TBAS scores, AFOQT scores, grades and commanders rating (in ROTC) is what determines your pilot selection. I'm headed to columbus for undergraduate pilot training and I was a history major at Southern Illinois
Swang, when you gonna get there?

I am there (well TDY to Pueblo right now, but UPT at CAFB).

Quick Reply: Any fighter jet pilots in here?