Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone in Al Udeid or been there recently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone in Al Udeid or been there recently?

I've heard they've built it up pretty nice in the last few years. Do they offer internet there yet? and if so how fast/good is it? Baghdad had wireless you could subscribe to but it sucked. I want to but the nfl game pass so I can watch the games this season.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Went through there in May and yes its built up a lot more!! They have a huge BX with a food court and everything, and yes that whole area has wireless. Also, the bra area has wireless too.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

thought they were still trying to get people to wipe their harddrives before going onto it though??? Did they get a 3rd party finally
Old 08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL That **** is crazy. I was there for like 150 5 years ago, and I thought it was pretty plush then. Now you guys are talking food court and wireless? I need to get back to Club Med
Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

I was there may-sept of 08. Its built up like crazy the bx is huge. The wireless is decent as long as the Bx and bra arent full of poeple playing "world of warcraft" and **** slowing down the internet. They build up the BPC area "where the bx is" really nice. The new dorms over there are pretty sweet way better then the trailor **** abd the gym is awesome...way better then the one we have at Fairchild!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was just there last month passing through. even with a billion people on the internet i was still downloading cd's in no time. it gets crowded at night though. the pools and new gym is nice. the bx is off the chain too.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by W8S SS
i was just there last month passing through. even with a billion people on the internet i was still downloading cd's in no time. it gets crowded at night though. the pools and new gym is nice. the bx is off the chain too.
W8S!! whats up buddy...long time no talk! how u been dude? this website is too big we need injected back!

this is Ls1beast btw.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm here now and it seems like the whole place is a haven for laptoppers. I'm only a block away from the bra but can't get wireless in my room. I may try to pick up a signal amp of some kind but I think the theater blocks reception(it's directly in the path to my trailer) I've been at the bra early in the morning and at 2200 or so and not had any issues with connections. The big BX seems pretty nice but it's odd for prices to me and I really don't care for this eagle card crap at all. Chow hall is further away from the bra now but pretty decent and as always, 24hrs. QA is a huge pita but oh well...... whats new!! It's hot, it's humid and I'm counting weeks already too.......dammit. Herc town is fun!!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
LOL That **** is crazy. I was there for like 150 5 years ago, and I thought it was pretty plush then. Now you guys are talking food court and wireless? I need to get back to Club Med
x2. I went there four times between '03 and '06. My first deployment we were in tents (Camp Andy). At the end of my last trip, they were working on finishing the hard quarters.

Edit: Am I correct in assuming that the trailer park is no longer the primary AD and contractor living quarters?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nah, the ad are pretty much in the new dorms near the bx facility(what little of it there is) the rest of the world stays in the CC. As for me, Herc Town is a wonderful place. Just us and the Aussies here now!! A couple of them are in to hotrods so it's cool yapping with them. I did an arm-drop for them tonight and the raced their tugs in our compound....funny sheeit!!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got here. Techs and above are in the new dorms. Staffs and below are in the trailers still and still have roomates in a 10X10 room. The wireless internet is slow as ***** because so many people are on it all the time. It took me 30 minutes to log on yahoo and check my email the other night. The bpc is nice but unless you live over there it's not really worth walking to. It's also hot as hell! Jesus, Bahgdad wasn't even this hot.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bygblok
nah, the ad are pretty much in the new dorms near the bx facility(what little of it there is) the rest of the world stays in the CC. As for me, Herc Town is a wonderful place. Just us and the Aussies here now!! A couple of them are in to hotrods so it's cool yapping with them. I did an arm-drop for them tonight and the raced their tugs in our compound....funny sheeit!!
Yup. The Aussies were pretty cool. The most attractive woman I saw out there was an Aussie Lt. She wasn't a "Desert Queen" either, she was gorgeous.

Originally Posted by bradl1982
Well I got here. Techs and above are in the new dorms. Staffs and below are in the trailers still and still have roomates in a 10X10 room. The wireless internet is slow as ***** because so many people are on it all the time. It took me 30 minutes to log on yahoo and check my email the other night. The bpc is nice but unless you live over there it's not really worth walking to. It's also hot as hell! Jesus, Bahgdad wasn't even this hot.
I'm sure they'll have the internet figured out soon enough. One thing I'll say is that the base was very good about fixing issues that people complained about. Their logic being that a happy Airman was a productive Airman.

Haha. Yeah...the highest temperature I remember seeing was 131*. It was routinely 125*+ during the summer. That wasn't including the humidity and time out on the flight line. It was pretty brutal to be out on the tarmac during the day.

One of my lasting memories from that place is walking back from the Cadillac and it being so humid that I was drenched by the time I got back to the room. lol

I did kind of luck out there. My rotations made it so that I was there at least a bit of each month, including the rain during the winter.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone in Al Udeid or been there recently?-dsc01052.jpg  

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-20-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread but I'm headed there as a contractor on the 29th of January - is anyone over there now? I'm wondering what if anything has changed since the last update here a/o September '09. I'm told that I'll probably be working the bar/lounge for the majority of my time there.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

your going over there to serve drinks?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99WS7
your going over there to serve drinks?
haha, well, yeah I am. I'm hoping to move up to something more fitting my background after the year contract but it's a way to get my foot in the door with the company.

Anyone over there now? I have a friend who is an AF officer in Hawaii and he said the post is pretty sweet but doesn't know of anyone who is there now.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im here now and this place is just like they say that it was going to be. Its a regular old base. Im just wondering when they are going to kick us out of here. I mean we left PSAB for a reason right? After the new dorms were made. Oh well this is my gazillionth time here. I know there are worse places but when you come here all the time and recover acft and refuel or whatever all day long it get pretty boring. I stood on desert soil for every year I been in the military. 7 more to go then they can have this ****.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Passed through there in the beginning of Jan this year..I'll be back through sometime in May..

I've been through there 7 times since June '04..back then it was nothing..now it's awesome.

Originally Posted by johnlv6
I did kind of luck out there. My rotations made it so that I was there at least a bit of each month, including the rain during the winter.
IT ****** ACTUALLY RAINS THERE..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Cats go there for R&R... I'm glad I'm not in the deid. I'd come back fatter and prob down a stripe. I saw some damn good women while I was passin through... And i got my own room here... Did wish I could get internet though. Not paying 80 bucks a month for the ultra slow 128k they offer.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my own room and I got internet in my room. Kinda nice this is the first time since this base opened up that I had a room to myself.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I am there now as well just passing through to Afghan.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Al Udeid or been there recently?