Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Ask a recruiter thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
How often do you guys (any recruiter) push for critical career fields over what the person may actually want? From my own experience, and that of a few others I know, they were either convinced to do a certain career field or go in as a general aptitude to "get into Basic quicker." Is this a tactic or people just trying to win NCO of the QTR or something?
I can tell you that as a AF recruiter, we have no choice right now but to push for critical jobs and or jobs that we know we have. For example it seems like everyone that walks into my door wants to do something medical. The problem is that right now the AF is not releasing any medical jobs, so yea i will try and see if they have any other intrests (mec, electrical). If they dont and all they want to do is medical i will tell them to have a good day and show them the door. As a recruiter i find it ammusing how people walk in and say all i want to do is X. When they do that i show them the door. The reason is if you want to join the AF then join the AF, you dont join to just do 1 f'ing job, you cant walk into Wal-Mart right now and say i want to work here but all i want to do is be the manager of the electronics section, cause they will laugh at you the whole way to the door. We have to tell people that sure they can join but X type of jobs are all we are getting, we arnt getting any admin jobs, or medical, or flying so if X jobs are something that intrest you i would be more then happy to work with you if not the Army is right down the street.

NOW ABOUT "OPEN GENERAL"

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!! That has been gone since about 1999. What "Open General" was, was when the AF could put you into any job to include Mec, Admin, Electrical and General. The way that the system works now is if we cant get you one of the jobs that you put down then we will give you your area that you put down when you processed. Once you get your area (mec, elect, general, admin) then you can only get a job out of that area. For example if you get the General area you can not get a job listed in the Mechanical area or a job in the electrical area, you can only choose from the jobs in the General area(which is where the flying jobs are). If you get the Mechanical Area the same thing applies you can only get jobs from that area not jobs in the General area, not jobs from the Admin area, not jobs from the Electrical area. Once you get the an area, at basic training you will be given a list of jobs out of that area only and be asked to rack and stack them in order(1st choice,2nd and so on). Those jobs that you are given out of your area are the jobs that have training start dates around when your graduation date is from basic. So with all of that being said there is NO such thing as OPEN GENERAL. The system has changed and works 10x better then when i joined!!!

Hope this helps
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1313of1600
As a recruiter i find it ammusing how people walk in and say all i want to do is X. When they do that i show them the door. The reason is if you want to join the AF then join the AF, you dont join to just do 1 f'ing job, you cant walk into Wal-Mart right now and say i want to work here but all i want to do is be the manager of the electronics section, cause they will laugh at you the whole way to the door. We have to tell people that sure they can join but X type of jobs are all we are getting, we arnt getting any admin jobs, or medical, or flying so if X jobs are something that intrest you i would be more then happy to work with you if not the Army is right down the street.
exactly!! This is the story of my life.lol EVERY female who comes in wants medical or maybe admin. But, like I said earlier (and like you said), right now, you join the Navy to be in the Navy, not to do X in the Navy. For every one person who comes in and only wants one job, I have 20 other people I can find that will do any job.

The time of the Navy being someone's last effort to get a stable job is gone. The Navy is picky, and we don't want bums. AF and Navy have traditionally been more selective though, but even the Army is getting tougher to get in. We still send all our unqualified people down there though.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if a person walked into your office and only wanted to be a SEAL?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

To become a SEAL you have to take another job first, then take the SEAL physical screening test and pass, and then you can reclass to SEAL. Some times they will give the PST first, but 99% of the time you take a job first and then reclass.

Of course there are other prequal things too, like the ASVAB and other criminal/medical things that we go over first.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I can tell you that as a AF recruiter, we have no choice right now but to push for critical jobs and or jobs that we know we have. For example it seems like everyone that walks into my door wants to do something medical. The problem is that right now the AF is not releasing any medical jobs, so yea i will try and see if they have any other intrests (mec, electrical). If they dont and all they want to do is medical i will tell them to have a good day and show them the door. As a recruiter i find it ammusing how people walk in and say all i want to do is X. When they do that i show them the door. The reason is if you want to join the AF then join the AF, you dont join to just do 1 f'ing job, you cant walk into Wal-Mart right now and say i want to work here but all i want to do is be the manager of the electronics section, cause they will laugh at you the whole way to the door. We have to tell people that sure they can join but X type of jobs are all we are getting, we arnt getting any admin jobs, or medical, or flying so if X jobs are something that intrest you i would be more then happy to work with you if not the Army is right down the street.

NOW ABOUT "OPEN GENERAL"

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!! That has been gone since about 1999. What "Open General" was, was when the AF could put you into any job to include Mec, Admin, Electrical and General. The way that the system works now is if we cant get you one of the jobs that you put down then we will give you your area that you put down when you processed. Once you get your area (mec, elect, general, admin) then you can only get a job out of that area. For example if you get the General area you can not get a job listed in the Mechanical area or a job in the electrical area, you can only choose from the jobs in the General area(which is where the flying jobs are). If you get the Mechanical Area the same thing applies you can only get jobs from that area not jobs in the General area, not jobs from the Admin area, not jobs from the Electrical area. Once you get the an area, at basic training you will be given a list of jobs out of that area only and be asked to rack and stack them in order(1st choice,2nd and so on). Those jobs that you are given out of your area are the jobs that have training start dates around when your graduation date is from basic. So with all of that being said there is NO such thing as OPEN GENERAL. The system has changed and works 10x better then when i joined!!!

Hope this helps

i know you guys have limited slots but please don't push these kids into jobs like EOD, CCT, SERE, TACP, SOWT, PJ. it really pissed me off seeing slots burned during the prelim course because recruiters pushed guys/girls into EOD school.

i came in the AF in 2006 under "open mechanical", and they were doing contracts for "open general"(several people in my BMT flight were classed under "open"). so your 1999 business is also incorrect.

you are claiming open general doesn't exist but then right below it you say you can get signed with a general contract if you can't get a desired job.

go general and you have great chances of security forces or services, not likely to get "the flying jobs" as stated above.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

NOW ABOUT "OPEN GENERAL"

Hope this helps

i know you guys have limited slots but please don't push these kids into jobs like EOD, CCT, SERE, TACP, SOWT, PJ. it really pissed me off seeing slots burned during the prelim course because recruiters pushed guys/girls into EOD school.

go general and you have great chances of security forces or services, not likely to get "the flying jobs" as stated above.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I came in to the Navy in 2006, i was hell bent on going AG, but I was open to looking into other rates. What really pissed me off was the MEPS guys trying to force an aviation job me which I had no interest in. I guess Submarines are a special need/special program cause the guy was all excited about talking about it.
plus my recruiter was a bubblehead and got even more excited when I talked to him about it. and here I am 3 years later as A Navigation Man on a submarine. Atleast my recruiter didnt bullshit me about what life as a submariner was going to be llike, especially how much it sucked whike being a nub.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sparky1397r

i came in the AF in 2006 under "open mechanical", and they were doing contracts for "open general"(several people in my BMT flight were classed under "open"). so your 1999 business is also incorrect.

you are claiming open general doesn't exist but then right below it you say you can get signed with a general contract if you can't get a desired job.

OK Here is the deal, we dont push people into PJ's, CCT, Or TACP, why because 99% of the kids cant pass the PAST test. So why even try, the ones that do that job and get it want it, have to train to even pass the test. EOD, out of the 130 jobs we get a month for each squadron there may be 1 EOD job in the bank so why in any recruiters right mind would we push them for that.

Now when you came in in 2006 you came in with a Appitude area, not open mechanical. You also knew that the only jobs that you could choose from were from the mechanical area. Same thing goes for the General Area. When kids go down and choose there top 5 jobs they also MUST choose an area. And guess what the MEPS Linco told you that in the event the AF can not get you one of you top 5 jobs we will give you the area that YOU picked. The kids that go down and choose the General area and get that area are not "open general". If you read what i wrote above "open general"(back when) ment you could get any job out of the over 150 the AF has. When you get the General Area now you only have a choice of about 40 jobs. Yes SF and services are in there but that is also where all of our medical jobs are, all enlisted flying jobs are, all intel jobs are. So before you go bitching for someone else, they, just like you walked into my office or any other recruiters office to join the AF and NO ONE twisted your arm or held a gun to your head to make you join. To be honest i could care less if you or anyone else joins. Why, because im still going to get paid on the 1st and 15th if you join or not and the only persons life its going to change is yours. I would hope that you dont run off at the mouth with-out knowing what your talking about like you just did, at work cause your supervisor must have pre-caned LOC&LOR's ready for you.

Oh and by the way Services jobs are pretty much gone, which is why the min score almost nation wide to get into the AF now is a 50QT not a 36. Because like the Navy we also have the right to be a little more selective on who we put in. One more thing the score for SF is a 33 in the general area which is the lowest score requirement of any job in the AF, services is a close second with a 34 in the general area.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Tattoo's..

Whats the requirement in order to join the AF? Ive been thinking about signing up but am afraid to get rejected due to a idiotic decision in getting one on my neck. Just stars, which isnt too big, but its visable.

The job id LOVE to have is a firedog, since my entire family is envolved in the fire department.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when i walked in the door in Jan01 i went through the book. after reading several job descriptions i choose 2m0x2 / Missile and Space Systems Maintenance ( ICBM'S) and i got what i wanted... a different time that was, now it's cheaper to pay civilians to do the same job with 10x's less standards to work by and only care about the paycheck over the quality of work. Hill AFB is the worst AFB. over run with civilians who have no respect for military let alone to show their respects for those who have fallen and come to a complete stop during revelry , retreat or taps
Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KidFromThePast
Tattoo's..

Whats the requirement in order to join the AF? Ive been thinking about signing up but am afraid to get rejected due to a idiotic decision in getting one on my neck. Just stars, which isnt too big, but its visable.

The job id LOVE to have is a firedog, since my entire family is envolved in the fire department.
Well, I can tell you as far as the Navy goes...Basically, it has to be hidden under a collared shirt, ideally not visible above the collar of a t-shirt. If its above the collar of a t-shirt, we have to take pics with one of our dress uniform tops (about the same collar height as a basic collared shirt) and if its above that...then you don't process.

I can't imagine the AF being more lax then us...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

To be honest i could care less if you or anyone else joins. Why, because im still going to get paid on the 1st and 15th if you join or not and the only persons life its going to change is yours.
Exactly! I am so sick of everyone thinking I need them to join... I could care less. I do not get an pay incentives or fancy gifts for getting people to join. We do get in house awards, but nothing monetary or worth any value.

Our minimum AFQT to get in the Navy without any hiccups is a 50. We can still put in people with 35+ AFQT, but its harder, and they probably won't qualify for any jobs that we have open anyway, so its a waste of time usually.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Well, I can tell you as far as the Navy goes...Basically, it has to be hidden under a collared shirt, ideally not visible above the collar of a t-shirt. If its above the collar of a t-shirt, we have to take pics with one of our dress uniform tops (about the same collar height as a basic collared shirt) and if its above that...then you don't process.

I can't imagine the AF being more lax then us...
I believe a dress uniform will cover it. I had planed to get it lazer'd off, but its out of budget at the moment/for a while.

I do have them on my arms, but end before my elbow so it can be covered with a long sleeve or dress shirt.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Tattoo's..

If the tattoo is above the collar bone it is most of the time DQ'ing. sorry
Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I believe a dress uniform will cover it. I had planed to get it lazer'd off, but its out of budget at the moment/for a while.

I do have them on my arms, but end before my elbow so it can be covered with a long sleeve or dress shirt.
here is some help for you from 36-2903
"Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible
through the uniform) while in uniform. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/
brands that exceed 1/4 of the exposed body part and those above the
collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar uniform."
It sounds like you should be good.

I have one gripe for recruiters and that is sending turd in to the Air Force. I know you can't determine some ones character or how they will adjust to the military, but some of these kids suck and bring down whole units. I know it’s not y'alls fault but there is training and surveying problem in the AF of its new people. I hate thugs wearing my uniform.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Thats air force regs sorry
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

On your neck 99percent sure its a no go for the Navy they have tightend up on the tatts over the 11 years that I have been in. If the economy was booming and people not needing the Services then it might have been different but with people needing the Services its a different story.

I have had 2 different jobs in the Navy and wish I could xfer to the Army via Blue to Green but under the instruction I have to wait till my contract is over.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it's because blanket parties and wall to wall counseling is looked down upon these days..
Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Teching In

then you can't even send a kid to CC.they are almost telling new guys " don't worry about these guys with strips they are your babysitters call me if you have any problems, oh and here is your check have a great day."
Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an Army recruiter, I'd would agree that recruiters get a bad rap. We are here to help. I don't make any more money for putting in 1 person or 20. I also don't need to chase people to join. I am in the job of looking for quality people to join but, if you don't want to be here then I don't want you here.It's not for everyone.

I would highly reccomend a few things.

1.) Check out all branches and find out what each one has to offer. Don't join a branch based on someone elses opinion or experience. You are not them and they are not you.

2) Each branch has it's own business rules and they are subject to change. For example....tattoo policy, educational requirements, moral (law) requirements, and physical requirements.

3) Do some research on your own. Each branch has it OWN OFFICIAL website. Also, compile questions for your recruiter. He can't possibly tell you EVERYTHING about the branch off of the top of his head.

4) Ask a recruiter.They are the subject matter experts on current recruiting policy, not some guy that was in years ago. If you aren't comfortable with a recruiter.........get another one. There needs to be a lot of trust between a recruiter and an applicant.

Quick Reply: Ask a recruiter thread.