Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Ask a recruiter thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Ask a recruiter thread.

I always see threads from people saying "i was to join xxxx" and then a whole bunch of random people chime in with mostly BS and false info.

So, I am currently a recruiter in Clearwater FL and will be for another 2 years, so if anyone has any questions about the Navy, Navy programs, enlistment questions, etc..... Feel free to ask.

I figure the best way to get the right info, is to ask the right people.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Hell, I'll take a stab at it, though I'm not sure if you can help, but the biggest question I've had and can't seem to find an answer to is: Do officers go in the field with the enlisted as well? Or do they get stuck behind some protection barrier and just shout orders?

I'm asking this with regards to the Marines, so it might be different for you guys, but any help, direction you can offer I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

yes because we all know recruiters dish out the truth.

while i'm sure you will take offense, the vast majority of recruiters will lie lie lie while the very small minority(yourself likely included) will tell the truth, not hide info, not make cooking omelets look like free fall school badassery.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I haven't worked with many Marines. The most I have is on the ship since the two ships I was on were amphibs, so we carried Marines and their gear over to the middle east. But what the little I have seen/heard, the lower grade officers (ie a 1LT Platoon leader) do go out in the field. But, I am not a Marine, so my info isn't going to be 100%.

I do not take offense to it, Sparky. I have no reason to lie to anyone, at any time. The Navy sells itself almost 100% of the time. I'm sure you think im BSing you now, but i'm not...

Everyone has a big misconception about recruiters, but we aren't all like that. For every guy I have that walks into my office, that does not want to join the Navy, there are atleast 5 others that do. The times of recruiters needing to lie, cheat and steal to find people have come and gone.

The truth is, almost everyone I try and put in the Navy these days, can't get it right now. We have no jobs available. I have tried to send down 3 people so far this month, and only 2 got in. They didn't get in right away either, they had to go to MEPS, process and then get put on a list of people waiting for jobs. And they dont get to pick a job either. MEPS finds a job, calls us, and we call the applicant and they them what job MEPS found.

So you see, the economy is so bad, 90% of the people that walk in my office, or call in, or stop me as I am getting my lunch - just want to be in the Navy, and could care less about anything else, as long as they get in. So, why lie to people about anything? Like I said in the beginning, the Navy sells itself...I just do the paperwork to put people in.

I have helped out one guy from Tech and answered his questions to try and help him, and I wanted to give the same opportunity to other people as well. Alot of people think like yourself, and think recruiters are hiding things. I wanted to give people a source of info to confirm (or disprove) what a recruiter told them.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Teching In

it really is good to have no bs guys like you, i have friends wanting to join and they are getting the run around from some recruiters.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks for trying.

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
it really is good to have no bs guys like you, i have friends wanting to join and they are getting the run around from some recruiters.
I know that feeling. Stopped by one day, got told I had to call another guy as a matter of protocol. I called about 4 times over the next week, left two messages, and never heard back. Meanwhile I stopped back by to make sure I had the right number, they took down my info again, and said they'd have him call me. That's the last I heard from anybody.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Banned

Yes my questions are as follows:

On a navy ship is there a poop deck?

Why do yall wear your names on your buttcheek?

Why have 99% of navy recruiters I have seen been fat?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, best regards.

GTO Jimmy
US ARMY
Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned

But on a serious note, this thread is a great idea. I wish I would have had a thread like this when I was going through the enlistment process, because my recruiter bent me over six ways from sunday.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Teching In

My recruiter never lied to me, and I thank him for it. He told me that basic would suck while I was there and schooling would seem long and would suck. But he also said after all that was over then Id look back and laugh, which I did.

Jeremiah
AirForce
Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

I can offer some assistance for AF if need be.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

my never lied to me he tried to talk me out of the infantry, told me as a pvt i'll get shitted on, crappy work pretty much what i got when i first joined now 17 yrs later almost done.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

How often do you guys (any recruiter) push for critical career fields over what the person may actually want? From my own experience, and that of a few others I know, they were either convinced to do a certain career field or go in as a general aptitude to "get into Basic quicker." Is this a tactic or people just trying to win NCO of the QTR or something?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, speaking for Navy...we don't really do that. Right now, the only thing we tell people before we send them to MEPS is that they better be open to any Navy opportunity (ie take any job offered).

Most people now a days dont get offered a job at MEPS, they go to process and classify and then get put on a QNJ list (Qualified - No Jobs) and when MEPS finds them a job, we call the applicant, tell them they have a job and get them back to MEPS to sign a contract and swear in.

Now, there are certain fields we used to push on people who we thought would be qualified for the field. I'm talking about NUKE, SEAL, SWCC, and other 'special programs' though - not undesignated airman or anything. But even that has kinda stopped. NUKE field is kinda full, and the SPECWAR programs aren't ever really looking for big #s of recruits.

Basically, if someone comes in my office and isn't open to any job in the Navy, we don't even waste our time with them. Obviously there will be exceptions to that (like someone with a 99QT saying they want Intel or Electronics - that we understand, and we don't want to make them a Machinist Mate), but 99% of the time, the rule of thumb is - be open or go next door (to the Army or Marines).
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

double post.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Obviously there will be exceptions to that (like someone with a 99QT saying they want Intel or Electronics - that we understand, and we don't want to make them a Machinist Mate)
I **** you not. I had a 99 and wound up as a MM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Well, speaking for Navy...we don't really do that. Right now, the only thing we tell people before we send them to MEPS is that they better be open to any Navy opportunity (ie take any job offered).

Most people now a days dont get offered a job at MEPS, they go to process and classify and then get put on a QNJ list (Qualified - No Jobs) and when MEPS finds them a job, we call the applicant, tell them they have a job and get them back to MEPS to sign a contract and swear in.

Now, there are certain fields we used to push on people who we thought would be qualified for the field. I'm talking about NUKE, SEAL, SWCC, and other 'special programs' though - not undesignated airman or anything. But even that has kinda stopped. NUKE field is kinda full, and the SPECWAR programs aren't ever really looking for big #s of recruits.

Basically, if someone comes in my office and isn't open to any job in the Navy, we don't even waste our time with them. Obviously there will be exceptions to that (like someone with a 99QT saying they want Intel or Electronics - that we understand, and we don't want to make them a Machinist Mate), but 99% of the time, the rule of thumb is - be open or go next door (to the Army or Marines).
Very good to read I know when I was going through the AF, they were trying to push me to do an Open General because my recruiter wanted 1) the body sent so he got credit for it that month and 2) because Force Shaping was beginning to happen.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

we had a few pipeliners in the EOD prelim course that were there because recruiters were pushing EOD hardcore(these people went to basic in june).
Old 08-30-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My recruiter was great. He didn't BS me at all, my friend who just got from basic and ait was doing hometown recruiting as well so i found out everything i needed to know. He told me exactly what my wife and me should expect. I got an 80 on my asvab and he didnt push me to any job, but the job i wanted wasnt open so i took my 2nd choice.

PFC McCracken
US Army
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recruiter didnt lie to me, infact he told me the truth on one thing, and I accused him of lying. And i didnt find out that he was telling the truth until I experienced it.

Me: Is the food in boot camp good?
Him: Yes, its real good.
Me: Bullshit, see now thats a lie.
Him: Ok man, but I aint lyin

Come to find out, the food in bootcamp was actually pretty good.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

I am an AF recruiter right now. If anyone has any questions at all feel free to ask or PM me. Can we make this a sticky thread too!!!

Quick Reply: Ask a recruiter thread.