Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Ask a recruiter thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob320fa
As an Army recruiter, I'd would agree that recruiters get a bad rap. We are here to help. I don't make any more money for putting in 1 person or 20. I also don't need to chase people to join. I am in the job of looking for quality people to join but, if you don't want to be here then I don't want you here.It's not for everyone.

I would highly reccomend a few things.

1.) Check out all branches and find out what each one has to offer. Don't join a branch based on someone elses opinion or experience. You are not them and they are not you.

2) Each branch has it's own business rules and they are subject to change. For example....tattoo policy, educational requirements, moral (law) requirements, and physical requirements.

3) Do some research on your own. Each branch has it OWN OFFICIAL website. Also, compile questions for your recruiter. He can't possibly tell you EVERYTHING about the branch off of the top of his head.

4) Ask a recruiter.They are the subject matter experts on current recruiting policy, not some guy that was in years ago. If you aren't comfortable with a recruiter.........get another one. There needs to be a lot of trust between a recruiter and an applicant.

I agree with him 100%!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1313of1600
OK Here is the deal, we dont push people into PJ's, CCT, Or TACP, why because 99% of the kids cant pass the PAST test. So why even try, the ones that do that job and get it want it, have to train to even pass the test. EOD, out of the 130 jobs we get a month for each squadron there may be 1 EOD job in the bank so why in any recruiters right mind would we push them for that.

Now when you came in in 2006 you came in with a Appitude area, not open mechanical. You also knew that the only jobs that you could choose from were from the mechanical area. Same thing goes for the General Area. When kids go down and choose there top 5 jobs they also MUST choose an area. And guess what the MEPS Linco told you that in the event the AF can not get you one of you top 5 jobs we will give you the area that YOU picked. The kids that go down and choose the General area and get that area are not "open general". If you read what i wrote above "open general"(back when) ment you could get any job out of the over 150 the AF has. When you get the General Area now you only have a choice of about 40 jobs. Yes SF and services are in there but that is also where all of our medical jobs are, all enlisted flying jobs are, all intel jobs are. So before you go bitching for someone else, they, just like you walked into my office or any other recruiters office to join the AF and NO ONE twisted your arm or held a gun to your head to make you join. To be honest i could care less if you or anyone else joins. Why, because im still going to get paid on the 1st and 15th if you join or not and the only persons life its going to change is yours. I would hope that you dont run off at the mouth with-out knowing what your talking about like you just did, at work cause your supervisor must have pre-caned LOC&LOR's ready for you.
actually its APTITUDE, not appitude.

and to correct you i was NOT allowed to pick jobs at the recruiter's or MEPS, my contract was "open mechanical". in basic i was allowed to put down possible mechanical jobs but the job i got wasn't one of the 5 i put on my "dream sheet".

i wouldn't call speaking the truth "running off at the mouth".

i don't have a supervisor but when i did i never received a single LOC or LOR(and when you spell canned you might not want to confuse it with beating something with a stick). i did however receive plenty of accolades for my outstanding work/accomplishments.

i also think its hilarious that you guys claim you don't push dudes into those careerfields but then typically 50% that show up can't even pass the PAST test at Lackland.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
actually its APTITUDE, not appitude.

and to correct you i was NOT allowed to pick jobs at the recruiter's or MEPS, my contract was "open mechanical". in basic i was allowed to put down possible mechanical jobs but the job i got wasn't one of the 5 i put on my "dream sheet"..
BS, your contract didnt say Open Mechanical, it said "Mechanical-9TM44" As far as you not getting whatever job you put down you should have read the contract, and i quote "Although my preferences will be considered, I also understand my specific AFSC is based on the specialties available at the time of my classification and the needs of the Air Force" So tough **** for not reading what you signed.

i wouldn't call speaking the truth "running off at the mouth". .
Ever been a recruiter? No didnt think so. You dont know what your talking about, nuf said.

i don't have a supervisor but when i did i never received a single LOC or LOR(and when you spell canned you might not want to confuse it with beating something with a stick). i did however receive plenty of accolades for my outstanding work/accomplishments. .
Glad to hear you learned how to keep you personal opinions to yourself at work and just did your job, so here is an idea let the recruiters speak about recruiting and keep you opinions to yourself.

i also think its hilarious that you guys claim you don't push dudes into those careerfields but then typically 50% that show up can't even pass the PAST test at Lackland.
Again you have no idea what the stats are for people who do and dont pass the PAST at basic, keep shooting off from the hip though its kinda funny. They have to pass it twice before they can leave here first, if they dont pass it at basic guess what thats on them not on anyone else.

The only thing that was correct in everything you said was that i did aptitude wrong good catch.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As a Marine recruiter for the last 1 1/2 years the one thing I can tell you is never trust an Army recruiter. I have interviewed many kids that they interviewed and found them to be spreading (intentionally or not) false information about us. Then I have to go to the Army office and let them know what the **** is up. The other branches seem pretty straight. But I find the Army to be the bad examples of recruiter when it comes to lying to the kids.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

From the AF's point of view i do find that sometimes the Army recruiter does tell apps bad info about us. Most of the time its not intentional. I hang out with some of the Army recruiters at the track almost every weekend. They give me people and i give them people, i think i may have put more people into the Army then the AF.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WTyW-9Usg

Best recruiting video of all time I might add.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

That is F'ing great!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

If you sign up open anything in the Air Force you should have a firm understanding that the air forces needs come first. I think other braches would work the same so have a very open mind when you do that.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Teching In

BS, your contract didnt say Open Mechanical, it said "Mechanical-9TM44" As far as you not getting whatever job you put down you should have read the contract, and i quote "Although my preferences will be considered, I also understand my specific AFSC is based on the specialties available at the time of my classification and the needs of the Air Force" So tough **** for not reading what you signed.
i knew exactly what i was signing, please show me where i said otherwise. i simply stated that i came in in the mechanical aptitude area and didn't pick a specific job(i was allowed to put down a dream sheet in basic and did not get any of those jobs). i knew i would not start out with the job i wanted but i did all my research and used ETP to crosstrain early in my enlistment.

Ever been a recruiter? No didnt think so. You dont know what your talking about, nuf said.
i would never give up my current path to be a desk jockey.

Glad to hear you learned how to keep you personal opinions to yourself at work and just did your job, so here is an idea let the recruiters speak about recruiting and keep you opinions to yourself.

Again you have no idea what the stats are for people who do and dont pass the PAST at basic, keep shooting off from the hip though its kinda funny. They have to pass it twice before they can leave here first, if they dont pass it at basic guess what thats on them not on anyone else.
i am not speaking about basic, i am talking about the 342TRS where the pipeliners take the real PAST. you know at indoc and selection.

i was JUST THERE, were you? 50% of the basic trainees that showed up for CCT selection failed the PAST at selection. care to argue this point again?

The only thing that was correct in everything you said was that i did aptitude wrong good catch.
actually you spelled "canned" wrong as well, you missed that correction.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Sparky your not even worth it anymore......

Anyway the guy who signed up for this site but only post's in the Mil section because he is god and knows everything and has said his .02c. Lets get back to why this post was created in the first place.

There is an x Marine Recruiter on here now "ss1129", an Army Recruiter "bob320fa", Navy recruiter "99FormulaM6" and myself for the Air Force so if anyone has questions feel free to post. Im sure that if one of us doesnt know the answer we can find it in a REG or FACT sheet somewhere for you.

Last edited by 1313of1600; 09-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea, this has kinda gotten away from the main reason I started it...

<--- Navy recruiter...If you have questions about the Navy..ask away
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I would still like to make this a sticky if thats possible, i think it could be helpful to people now and in the future.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you guys have any idea the chances of getting a waiver for being on sleep meds? I take them just to allow myself to fall asleep. I can function perfectly fine on 6.5 hours of sleep every night although I prefer about 8. I am trying to get off them but I don't know how that will turn out.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

My buddy got a 93 on the ASVAB, is that pretty decent?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
Do you guys have any idea the chances of getting a waiver for being on sleep meds? I take them just to allow myself to fall asleep. I can function perfectly fine on 6.5 hours of sleep every night although I prefer about 8. I am trying to get off them but I don't know how that will turn out.
no. You can not be on any meds and goto bootcamp. are they perscribed by a doctor? In bootcamp, you get 8hrs of sleep a night usually. the first week or so you dont, but after that its lights out at 10 and wake up at 6. Sometimes you get up a little earlier, but for the most part its 6

Originally Posted by MaroMan
My buddy got a 93 on the ASVAB, is that pretty decent?
yes. It's a percentile not a percentage. Either way he did good - highest is a 99. He did better than 93% of the people who have taken the test. But, you can get a 99 and not qualify for some jobs, and you can get a 35 and qualify for Nuclear power. The final percentile score is only calculated by pulling scores from the math and english sections. To qualify for jobs, you have to have a certain combo of scores, ie for IT you have to have AR+MK+EI+GS=222. Which is arithmetic + math knowledge + electronics intelligence + general science. Generally, we look for line scores (each sections score) to be in the high 40s to low 50s to make sure you qualify for jobs. Getting in the 60s for line scores is pretty damn smart. Im not sure what the highest is though..
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
no. You can not be on any meds and goto bootcamp. are they perscribed by a doctor? In bootcamp, you get 8hrs of sleep a night usually. the first week or so you dont, but after that its lights out at 10 and wake up at 6. Sometimes you get up a little earlier, but for the most part its 6
They are prescription meds and if I don't take them I am usually awake for at least 22 hours before I fall asleep. Once I do get to sleep it's not much of a problem, I just need that push. It probably doesn't make too much of a difference but I am looking at OCS, not boot camp.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

well i gotta a question guys i just joined the army on july 8th 2009, my question is a huge fraction of my family has served in the army for 20 years or more my question is will i be able to make this in to a career i did a 5 year contract i dont want to just do my 5 years and have them kick me out on my ***.... oh and one more questions how did you guys like fort Leonard wood im going to basic and AIT there on January 6th
Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

99FormulaM6, I was wondering if you could explain some things about the Navy's nuclear program to me..

I recently took the ASVAB and scored a 92 with a 120-ish GT score. I have actually been leaning torwards the NC Army National guard because I can get college knocked out quickly and be on my way to be an officer a lot sooner. I have about 45 college credits already..

I was in JROTC in high school and I went to talk to my old intructors about it and they were telling me about the Navy's nuclear program but didn't really know much about it.

I was wondering, I'm sure I'd go in as an E3 and do Basic. Then I guess the nuclear program has their own AIT.. But I didn't know how the training works, it seems like there would be quite a bit of training involved.

Would I be an E3 still doing nuclear work for the navy or is there some kind of promotion? Or would I need a degree first to do that?

As you can probably tell, I really have no idea how that would work.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't lie to anyone..

Last edited by dantastic01SS; 10-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss1129
As a Marine recruiter for the last 1 1/2 years the one thing I can tell you is never trust an Army recruiter. I have interviewed many kids that they interviewed and found them to be spreading (intentionally or not) false information about us. Then I have to go to the Army office and let them know what the **** is up. The other branches seem pretty straight. But I find the Army to be the bad examples of recruiter when it comes to lying to the kids.
I spent about 3 years as an Army recruiter and NEVER laid down my values or witnessed anyone in my office lay down those values as much as the Marines that recruited next door to us. I can't speak for those Army recruiters you work with but it's pretty unfair to speak of all of them as a whole as unfairly as you have. The Marine recruiters I worked with were essentially dirtbags but I'm not going to sit here and call ALL Marine recruiters dirtbags because of the few I worked around.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I'll never say "Don't trust a Marine recruiter"... although I've worked with Marine recruiters that have lied their way into any contract they can drum up. All of them aren't like that... however, I have enough brains to recognize it.

Quick Reply: Ask a recruiter thread.