Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Ask a recruiter thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
well i gotta a question guys i just joined the army on july 8th 2009, my question is a huge fraction of my family has served in the army for 20 years or more my question is will i be able to make this in to a career i did a 5 year contract i dont want to just do my 5 years and have them kick me out on my ***.... oh and one more questions how did you guys like fort Leonard wood im going to basic and AIT there on January 6th
Although Im not a recruiter, I recently got out and had a lot of re-enlistment questions myself. I decided to get out.

You can re-enlist when your first contract is up. Your recruiter kind of screwed you when he signed you on with a 5 year contract. Reason being is when it comes to your bonuses for re-enlisting once it comes up. You can basically only re-enlist ONE time with the good bonus money. If you would of done 4 you could of been able to do another 4 and re-enlist at 8 years in and get another good bonus.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
well i gotta a question guys i just joined the army on july 8th 2009, my question is a huge fraction of my family has served in the army for 20 years or more my question is will i be able to make this in to a career i did a 5 year contract i dont want to just do my 5 years and have them kick me out on my ***.... oh and one more questions how did you guys like fort Leonard wood im going to basic and AIT there on January 6th
As long as you do well at your job, the Army is going to try to keep you. Just VOTE to make sure that the Army's boss will do the same...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Although Im not a recruiter, I recently got out and had a lot of re-enlistment questions myself. I decided to get out.

You can re-enlist when your first contract is up. Your recruiter kind of screwed you when he signed you on with a 5 year contract. Reason being is when it comes to your bonuses for re-enlisting once it comes up. You can basically only re-enlist ONE time with the good bonus money. If you would of done 4 you could of been able to do another 4 and re-enlist at 8 years in and get another good bonus.
I disagree. There are jobs that may require a 5 or, 6 year contract due to the length of time you are in school. The military wants it's time out of you perfoming the job, not just being in school learning it. It depends on his job.
Bonuses also depend on your job. There are differing dollar amounts based on how much the Army needs people in different positions. You can get 3 bonuses A,B,C zones. These zones depend on your time in service and whether you have received other bonuses. In my experience the C zone bonuses are the lower ones due to the fact that at that point you are a career soldier and are probably staying in anyway.
Keep in mind that bonuses are incentives for people to join or, reenlist. If there are a ton of people doing that anyway, bonuses will drop. Look how hard it is to get a job in the civilian sector right now.
Also, bonuses are subject to change. There is no high or low balling. What is there, is there and it could change from day to day.

Last edited by bob320fa; 10-10-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bballr4567

Well, your career counselor lied to you. I will use myself as an example...I reenlisted as a 6yo EW in the Navy. When my 4 year mark came up, I was able to reenlist, I chose not to because I wanted to wait to see if bonus money would go up. It didn't go up, so I kinda screwed myself, but I couldve reenlisted at 4 years if I wanted
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Well, your career counselor lied to you. I will use myself as an example...I reenlisted as a 6yo EW in the Navy. When my 4 year mark came up, I was able to reenlist, I chose not to because I wanted to wait to see if bonus money would go up. It didn't go up, so I kinda screwed myself, but I couldve reenlisted at 4 years if I wanted
Exactly. You'll be past ten years when it comes time to re-enlist NEXT time. You'll get zilch. Yes, youll get a bonus but hardly nothing compared to if you were to do it at 8 years. Ive seen it plenty of times.

Yes, sometimes you HAVE to enlist for 5-6 years but IMHO that is just iffy unless you know you will LOVE what you do. For me the 3 year mark lets you know how you will end up. Those extra 2-3 years after 3 yr mark can make your life miserable.

Quick Reply: Ask a recruiter thread.