Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

joining usaf

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Im good buddies with the boy who started this thread (828ls1formula), is anyone in the uas or any of the new uav programs, Im looking into the predator, reaper, and global hawk?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

This is what I did for 6 Years and loved it 2A6X2 - AEROSPACE GROUND EQUIPMENT-http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob2a6x2.htm
Siplified, you work on any equipment aircraft requier to run systems while on the ground. From heaters to 60,000 psi x3, hydralic power systems (used to jack up the plane, operate the landing gear flaps etc.)
Lots of travel if you like, (Equipment goes wherever aircraft go) and many of the things you will learn correspond to automotive applications, heavy transportation= Semi's, Trains, ships etc. And of course civilian aircraft.
Good luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
...im just gettin started so i dont know much.. any help please
As you can see, anyone who's been there has their own idea of the perfect job. If you would like advise, we need a better idea of why you are joining and what you want out of it (education benefits, steady income and benefits for a few years, job training, or maybe a military career).

For me, I felt that the AF revolves around the flight line and everything else is just there for support, so I chose to be a crew chief on F-16s. If you want a challenging job where there is no room for error look at Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD).

If you just want to go to school while you are in pick an office job such as finance; they generally only work a day shift and that gives you the ability to take night classes (security forces, aircraft maintenance, fire/rescue, and command post are all examples of jobs that maintain 24 hour crews and may change your shift periodically causing challenges in attending school while you are in). I heard about a services guy who worked at the base gym passing out towels and basketballs that was able to complete a 4 year degree during his 4 year enlistment because he could read at work and had a set schedule.

The best job is different for everyone. You need to give us an idea of what you are looking for.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

been working propulsion on C130's now for 25 years or so. Still like the job, still get to go places(in the desert now) and the pay is not too shabby either. I did active duty and reserves and have been an air reserve technician for quite a while on the civilian side. I double dip my paycheck here and there to make extra cash for the Camaro. I usually go to Alaska every couple of years, Hawaii the opposite years, we work storms out of St. Croix during hurricane season and all points in between. Even spent a little better than a month in Guam last year(made BIG bucks on that one too!) It's all in what you want to do and how patient you can be to get there. Do four, get the GI bill, get some direction. If it sucks, get out. If it doesn't work towards a future either way. You have nothing to lose and a great future to gain.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bygblok
been working propulsion on c130's now for 25 years or so. Still like the job, still get to go places(in the desert now) and the pay is not too shabby either. I did active duty and reserves and have been an air reserve technician for quite a while on the civilian side. I double dip my paycheck here and there to make extra cash for the camaro. I usually go to alaska every couple of years, hawaii the opposite years, we work storms out of st. Croix during hurricane season and all points in between. Even spent a little better than a month in guam last year(made big bucks on that one too!) it's all in what you want to do and how patient you can be to get there. Do four, get the gi bill, get some direction. If it sucks, get out. If it doesn't work towards a future either way. You have nothing to lose and a great future to gain.
yay for propulsion!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
This is what I did for 6 Years and loved it 2A6X2 - AEROSPACE GROUND EQUIPMENT-http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob2a6x2.htm
Siplified, you work on any equipment aircraft requier to run systems while on the ground. From heaters to 60,000 psi x3, hydralic power systems (used to jack up the plane, operate the landing gear flaps etc.)
Lots of travel if you like, (Equipment goes wherever aircraft go) and many of the things you will learn correspond to automotive applications, heavy transportation= Semi's, Trains, ships etc. And of course civilian aircraft.
Good luck!
I'm back in A.G.E. after a 5 year break as a MTI. It's nice to be back I must say. Not a bad career field and it gives you a lot of experience and education to fall back on when you get out.
Tate
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am an A-10 Crew Chief 2A373 I can tell you that I like my job most of the time but I work for the air force (lots of long shifts/weekends) If I could do it all over again I would pick a job that makes the air force work for me. Meaning hours that I can go to school and a job that I can make good money when I get out. Being maintenance, security forces...ect. high tempo jobs like that when you get off work you just want to chill because you are dead tired. So school after work is really hard. But best advice I can give you don't settle for what a recruiter tells you. Dont sighn a paper until you get the job you want. After you sighn that enlistment paper your *** belongs to the AF.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

1C2X1, accept nothing else
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

don't be gay T, there are other cool guy options..
Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigT2002
what is a 1c2? is that an SP? or PJ or something?

i dunno...like chris said dont accept any job u dont want...there are plenty of options!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Teching In

combat control.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

nothing in maintenance.. you'll regret it.. i did it. Security forces sucks... For money when you get out, NDI- Non destructive inspection.. They make a **** ton when they get out. For badassness, TACP...
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jperran
I missed ya buddy! How was the desert?? You back yet?

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
don't be gay T, there are other cool guy options..
I was hoping you two would chime in there after I posted that.

Originally Posted by Silver99tA
what is a 1c2? is that an SP? or PJ or something?

i dunno...like chris said dont accept any job u dont want...there are plenty of options!
Combat Control. You are assigned to a Special Tactics Unit and typically go help sieze enemy airfields and then are the ATC on the ground for aircraft to land and all that junk. You will also go to JTAC school so you can call in CAS as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Teching In

i took the bait.

so far i'm 30 days into my retrain, we had frag land 10 feet behind us and dent one of our vehicles yesterday.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure you get a guranteed job! One that you really want!.....I came in wanting to get Fighter crew chief something that excites me!, but got stuck in propulsion.....it sucks, I have no interest in it and its boring. It will make your life alot easier, I just want to get out. I hate my job!

Oh yeah....dont sign for 6 either its not worth it, if you end up wanting to retrain or get out because you can do that sooner with a 4 year contract compared to a 6.

Quick Reply: joining usaf