Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

joining usaf

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default joining usaf

hey yall im in the process of joining the air force, whats some good jobs yall reccomend? i was interested in the security forces but read some other posts and everyone says that a sucky job.. is it really? if so why?.. i was also interested in emergencey management.. what yall think? and like i said im just gettin started so i dont know much.. any help please
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3E7X1- Fire Protection
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Security forces sucks.... period.

-justin

EDIT: on second thought, IMO i think it would suck if I did it. Some people enjoy it tho, although a select few do...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Enlisted aircrew / 1AX jobs (ex. 1A3X1, 1A4X1, etc.). They're pretty cushy positions and have some good TDY's.

What kind of job do you want? Do you want something that's mentally stimulating but requires no physical exertion (ex. Intelligence/Surveillance related fields) or do you want someting that requires a LOT of physical activity (ex. TACP/PJ)?

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Security forces sucks.... period.

-justin

EDIT: on second thought, IMO i think it would suck if I did it. Some people enjoy it tho, although a select few do...
Yup. The recruiters go out of their way to make security forces sound like a high tempo/exciting job. The reality of it is that you'll likely spend your time riding around in a cop car or be stuck standing around guarding an ECP. If that sounds like fun to you, have at it. 12 hrs of standing around checking ID's/line badges for people entering a flightline would make me want to though.

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-22-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

1c3x1 - command post

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1c3x1.htm

Pm me if you want to know the full details.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

I hate to say it man, but as a AF recruiter, there are not alot of the 1A jobs open and out of the 83 jobs we get every month maybe 1 of them is a 1A. I would say if you want to join and not get kicked out of the DEP in a year for having jobs that we dont get, i would look at 2A jobs, intel, ATC, Cyber space(new job and have alot of them), or almost any electrical job if you have the score for it. Command Post is a cake job, but we normaly dont see it in recruiting most of the time now that job along with the flying jobs, medical jobs, and fire protection are being given out in basic training to guys with a Guaranteed Aptitude Area. Congrats and good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
hey yall im in the process of joining the air force, whats some good jobs yall reccomend? i was interested in the security forces but read some other posts and everyone says that a sucky job.. is it really? if so why?.. i was also interested in emergencey management.. what yall think? and like i said im just gettin started so i dont know much.. any help please
If you want to make money in bonuses (we're capped right now) and have a very rewarding job, go 1N1x1a.

Imagery Intel Analyst. Need to be able to clear a background inspection for a Top Secret clearance though. Opens up great job opportunities if you decide to get out as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1313of1600
I hate to say it man, but as a AF recruiter, there are not alot of the 1A jobs open and out of the 83 jobs we get every month maybe 1 of them is a 1A. I would say if you want to join and not get kicked out of the DEP in a year for having jobs that we dont get, i would look at 2A jobs, intel, ATC, Cyber space(new job and have alot of them), or almost any electrical job if you have the score for it. Command Post is a cake job, but we normaly dont see it in recruiting most of the time now that job along with the flying jobs, medical jobs, and fire protection are being given out in basic training to guys with a Guaranteed Aptitude Area. Congrats and good luck.
Yup. Intel would also transition into a good job on the outside too.

ATC would be a good idea too (if you're strong academically). By the time your enlistment is up, you'll be in a good position to get an FAA ATC position. That's what I was trying to do this spring (outside the AF), but I'd already accepted another position before the FAA got back to me on the test.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

i couldnt get an atc spot 2 and a half years ago. Command Post right now is actually short manned and they are offering a bonus to stay in. Surprised dont see any of them coming through the recruiting office
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I'm in security forces. It can suck depending on your attitude and what you like. Theres a bit more to it than just standing around guarding concrete but make no mistake, you will do some of that. Alot depends on your unit and mission. If you can get into the 820th or on a Contingency Response Group its a little better. Those guys train to deploy and are not attached to a base per say. We have AMC and Space Com so I do a little bit of both. Some people like to deploy also. If you like to deploy than welcome to security forces. Also check on dog handler once you've been in a bit. One of our guys was a canine handler and got attached to a Marine infantry unit in Ramadi. Lots of fun there.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
i couldnt get an atc spot 2 and a half years ago. Command Post right now is actually short manned and they are offering a bonus to stay in. Surprised dont see any of them coming through the recruiting office
what is command post? what do they do?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Teching In

New AFSC that was just created or is being created soon 1U series. Sensor operators on UAVs (Predators and Reapers). Currently they have 1A's and 1N's doing it, but that's changing. It can be boring most of the time, but your working the front lines day in and day out (from the states admittedly) supporting the guys on the ground. It can be a very rewarding career field. Although most people either love it or hate it.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

Dental FTMFW!!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

4N0X1- NREMT. thats what i was when i was in. Not too bad if u enjoy medicine.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Just cause I really enjoy my job, 3E2X1, Pavements and Construction Equipment Operator (Dirtboyz). We build ****, and deploy 6 on 6 off, bonuses for Zone A and B right now at 4.5. We get dirty, work hard, and drink hard!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I must really suck Farmdawg, I'm currently a 3PO71 but also hold a 3E271 as well. I like punishment
Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

2a6x1b!!!!!! if u like working on engines! i work on AC 130H model gunships...deployments arent bad and the job is fun!!

grats on joining tho you'll like any job you get i think.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

I am very serious about signing up to the USAF as well. Not to hijack the thread, but some of these jobs sound great. Are they the same for enlisted men and officers? I just graduated with my BA and am more than likely going to sign up as an officer. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hennytime
I am very serious about signing up to the USAF as well. Not to hijack the thread, but some of these jobs sound great. Are they the same for enlisted men and officers? I just graduated with my BA and am more than likely going to sign up as an officer. Thanks in advance!!

no not the same...u will have a managment job FO SHO!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

good luck getting in hope you get job you like.. its almost as if you got find a job they need. I had lot people say its rough expecially right now trying to get in the USAF...been big bum rush since the economy sucks...

Quick Reply: joining usaf