Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

questions about the ARMY and RANGERS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions about the ARMY and RANGERS

Well i almost went to the marines a few years ago, ran 5 miles aday lifted 5 days aweek....long story short i never went....i got some friends and a girl friend in the town i moved to and lost intrest....I feel like something is missing in my life and i know i will always feel like that unless i up in the military.My brother (Former Navy) told me i should go to the army not the marines because the army is its own branch and gets more money for everything they need were the marines get what the navy has not used...SO my question is what all do i have to do to become a Ranger in the Army? do i have to wait so long after bt before i can request the Ranger school? What are the do's and dont's of the contract that i will sign with the army recruiter...
iv started my workouts again,and i would like to be able to run 8 miles without stopping before bt...i think it will take me about 6mo to get back into shape, or were i was when i almost went to the marines.
SORY for the long read guys any help is appreciated
O YES... can a ranger go through the H.A.L.O. training or is that for the ''SF''
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Rangers can get free fall.

any specialized job in the military gets good funding, any mainstream job sucks.

11x should be the contract you're looking for.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Normally only the SF guys get HALO since it is more practicle for those guys to do so. Rangers wil go through Airborne school and usually jump static line. But then so do the 82nd and other regular Army Airborne units. The difference is that as a Ranger you will be part of the Spec Ops community and not "Big Army" so there will be a hell of a lot better funding for your unit and better training. If you were to land yourself in a regular Infantry unit you would still get some kick *** training but it will usually be local, Rangers and Spec Ops guys get to travel and train a lot more than Big Army.

Don't trust everything that comes out of a recruiters mouth, they are used car sales men selling souls, find one that actually gives a crap and get a sign on bonus, only 1 percent of our country volunteers to serve so don't feel guilty about going for the bonus, most uninformed Soldiers like myself were not aware that the Army will give you money just for signing up. It is a huge commitment so get what you can, it's not we all sign up to get rich anyways. Also read the fine print and ask as many questions as possible, if you are not clear on something then ask to have it explained again. If you are wanting Ranger school in you contract then make sure they have it in there before you sign anything, a lazy or crappy recruiter will tell you that you can just wait till you get to Airborne school and volunteer for it once you get there. This is partially true but if you are signing up for the service you should be able to have what you are volunteering for in your contract. if they say they can't get you what you are asking for then walk away, they have a quota to make, not you. You can always tell them that you are going to another recruiting office to see what they can do for you, and if you have to then do so.

As far as your physical conditioning goes, as long as you can do 40 push ups in under 2 min with out taking your hands or feet off the ground, 50 sit ups with out letting your *** leave the ground and keeping your fingers interlocked in under 2 min, and run 2 miles in under 16:36 you will be fine. Those are the min requirements for Soldiers in the 22-26 age bracket. This realy isn't a rquirement till after basic training but these are the minimums you should be trying to exceed. 8 miles non stop is decent training for Ranger school but don't over do it when preparing for this, you don't want to injur yourself before they get a chance to get a hold of you. The Army standard is 4 miles in 36 min. if you can do it in 32 you are a step ahead of most and should have plenty of pep left for a few extra miles easy. also road marching is an Army past time favorite, as a grunt you will walk everywhere, there is also a 15 mile ruck march required to get through Infantry basic, at least there was when I went through in 98'. you can start training by starting with a 2 mile, then a 4 mi, 6 mi, 8 mi, 10 mi, 12. When I was with the 82ND we did a 6,8,10,&12 every month, and always on a friday,(Bastards).

Well thats about all I got for now, hope this answered your questions and helped. PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

specialized jobs like the Rangers don't always get the funding people are talking about. You can make Rangers and still not end up in a Ranger Bat, meaning you're just another infantry guy wearing a ranger tab in a normal unit. Any combat arms AIT/Basic will do a 25k ruck march during training as well. Airborne is easy to get pretty much with any MOS. HALO is primarily SF. Scouts still have more tasks (137) to know in the army aside from SF and next is MP at 114 tasks.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black_95_Z28
specialized jobs like the Rangers don't always get the funding people are talking about. You can make Rangers and still not end up in a Ranger Bat, meaning you're just another infantry guy wearing a ranger tab in a normal unit. Any combat arms AIT/Basic will do a 25k ruck march during training as well. Airborne is easy to get pretty much with any MOS. HALO is primarily SF. Scouts still have more tasks (137) to know in the army aside from SF and next is MP at 114 tasks.
tabbed and scrolled are two different things.

i work with a tabbed ranger here, he is ranger qual not a tan beret scroll wearing ranger.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

A lot of Rangers get HALO, they aren't quite the super infantry they used to be, they have become a much more direct action oriented Special Operations piece.

You can sign up to go to BMT, Airborne, and then RIP. If you pass RIP you go to a Ranger bat and get treated like **** for about 6 months until they send you to Ranger school.

Tab = You graduated ranger school
Scroll = You are presently or were at one time a U.S. Army Ranger

Usually, if you see a guy with a ranger combat patch and a regular joe unit patch, he got kicked out. Some guys get out for personal reasons, but its generally not a good thing.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated, a friend of mine got back from iraq and got into ranger school and messed up his leg, by the time he could go through the school again he got sent back to iraq...he is out now he didnt want to re up just to go to ranger school,but he has a wife and kid so i dont blame him there...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Teching In

Like the other guys have said there is a huge difference between Ranger Batt and Ranger School. Rangers are very good at what they do and Ranger School is just a suck fest with some training thrown in. There is nothing highspeed or sexy about Ranger school. Not saying it is bad or anything. Make sure that whatever contract you sign at meps has option 40 on it which is the Ranger contract. If it is not on thier you are not going to Batt. Simple as that. As far as your physical shape dont even look at the min requirements. If you are planning on going to Batt or any where in the Spec Ops world min should not even be an issue you need to exell. A 300 on a pt test should be your min. That army standard of 4 miles in 36 is a joke. My 5 mile time is less than that and yours should be to if you are serious. I hate people who want to be elite and then worry about the min. Trust me dude if you show up at RIP running a 16 min 2 mile you will not be there very long at all. I will%2
Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^thanks i agree the min reqruirements is were i will start and get faster and faster before i join....So i need 11x and option 40 on my contract or my ranger dream is not going to happen...thanks im printing this page out so ill have all the info, thanks guys.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Some good, and correct info in this thread.

robcas said normally only SF guys get Halo, true, but not 100%
I have mainly SF in my unit, but we also have parachute riggers.
The riggers get halo alot, BUT thats not the job you are looking for

Like was mentioned, you can get RANGER in your initially enlistment contract.

Black_95_Z28- YES the rangers get TONS of funding. In my unit, i have alot of ranger tabs, formally in the 75th, as well as a couple instructors. Rangers get a ton of funding, and lots of cool toys.

The best training you can do for RANGER school is running, and putting on a rucksack/heavy backpack.
A guy in my shop was a former RANGER instructor, and just informed me the RANGER pt test is this
Max pushups in 2 min (train for 80)
Max situps in 2 min (train for 80)
5 mile run in under 40 minutes (regular army runs 2 miles)

You should go to an army/navy and buy an old rucksack, and walk with 35lbs on your back

I was an army recruiter in lubbock 18 months ago, and at that time knew the guys in amarillo. Good people up there.

If they try to sell you an 18x (thats a special forces contract) avoid that.
Its a great opportunity, but if you fail out for any reason, you go to "needs of the army"
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^thanks...i was born in lubbock
Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
^^^thanks...i was born in lubbock
Hope that helps man. The station commander there may still be SFC Herman. Hes skinny, and smokes alot, but should be able to get you what you want.
Any other questions just post up. Im surrounded by SF, a couple rangers, and a few HALO qualified folks.

As a matter of fact we just had 5 of the army parachute the "the golden knights" hop on with us. They only stay for 45 days of our deployment, just so they have a combat patch. pretty cool folks
Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black_95_Z28
You can make Rangers and still not end up in a Ranger Bat, meaning you're just another infantry guy wearing a ranger tab in a normal unit. .
Bullshit. If you have Ranger in your contract you WILL
go to a Ranger Battalion upon graduating Basic, AIT, Airborne school, and then making it through RIP. You dont make Ranger then go to a regular unit. You have the option of going back to "Big Army" after your obligation to the Ranger unit is up.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

there are many views on this..just keep talking to Soldiers and maybe commanders that are actually in a ranger batt..

they can give you the most information on what your looking for. so, i know it's weird but just talk to people and i know they will help you out.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HarrisonTX
Some good, and correct info in this thread.

If they try to sell you an 18x (thats a special forces contract) avoid that.
Its a great opportunity, but if you fail out for any reason, you go to "needs of the army"
If you get a Ranger contract and fail out you go needs of the Army as well so dont let that be the deciding factor in yu decision. Besides if you are really serious than what happens if you quite shouldnt matter becuse you are not going to quite.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
If you get a Ranger contract and fail out you go needs of the Army as well so dont let that be the deciding factor in yu decision. Besides if you are really serious than what happens if you quite shouldnt matter becuse you are not going to quite.
i agree if i get into ranger school the only way out is to pass the school or leave in a casket... im not going to quit
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

If you fail a Ranger or 18x path you well go back to Infantry since that is what you will be when you start training. Infantry AIT is your first stop after basic in either path.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Launching!

if you wanna be a Ranger, go find a recruiter and tell him/her you want an 11x contract with option 40. RPFT running standard is 5 miles in 40 minutes, so start aiming for that.

until you deploy once with them and go to ranger school, expect to be treated like ****, yelled at, and smoked constantly.

HALO school probably won't happen for a while, if at all, unless you try to get into RRD.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Teching In

If you have any questions about the 18X program I can give you some answers but they will be a few years out of date but the basics usually dont change
Old 12-04-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 86MonteSS
if you wanna be a Ranger, go find a recruiter and tell him/her you want an 11x contract with option 40. RPFT running standard is 5 miles in 40 minutes, so start aiming for that.

until you deploy once with them and go to ranger school, expect to be treated like ****, yelled at, and smoked constantly.

HALO school probably won't happen for a while, if at all, unless you try to get into RRD.
what is ''RRD''?

Quick Reply: questions about the ARMY and RANGERS