Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the USAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Well, I couldn't of said it much better myself. Screw maintenance and the lack of respect we get for a job well done.
It broke my heart seeing how hard the maintainers would work, all to have fellow aircrew members treat them like dirt. Many people fail to see, that it is a wide team effort to get missions done. We could not fly the missions without the valuable maintainers and all their hard work to make our planes fly.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaleck
My first Job pick was Aerospace Propulsion, second is helicopter mechanic and then a few more. I really hope I don't get stuck changing tires or something though. I'm going in to specifically learn, not do stuff I already know how to do.

Thanks for the advice!
if you have any say so in it, try to get on heavies and not fighters. I was on 15's for 4 years. You want to be on heavies. lol. they are so much more fun and the engines are way more tempermental. good luck
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

if AEROSPACE PROPULSION was your first choice....im almost garaunteeing that you will get it and i know this because i am the section lead at Cannon AFB propulsion section and we need more 3 lvl's so im pretty sure ur coming here...

and if u like anything mechanical wise like working on ur car etc then this is the job for u...ive been doing this job for 6 years now and i love it...good group of guys here you'll love it...just get through basic its not that hard...and tell SSgt Leeth at tech school i say hi!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
It broke my heart seeing how hard the maintainers would work, all to have fellow aircrew members treat them like dirt. Many people fail to see, that it is a wide team effort to get missions done. We could not fly the missions without the valuable maintainers and all their hard work to make our planes fly.

its about time aircrew sticks up for us sweaty maintainers!!! thanks!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Teching In

i graduated basic yesterday and all the crap they put you through is worth it. if you can get by the first 3 weeks you will be fine. dont worry about passing your first wall locker.you will get like 50 demerits lol. its all a mental game. good luck you will be fine.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Teching In

maintenance sucks, go specialized or high speed.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Silver99TA, I would tell him hi...im not sure if he will know you by the guy on ls1tech named silver99TA Also, wheres Cannon AFB? . Again, thanks for the advice, I do love working on engines and what not so I think this is a good decision. One of my top five jobs was working on the big bombers to so I guess I'll just play the waiting game and keep you guys informed!!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Cannon AFB is in New Mexico. It will soon be the new home to AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command). Most guys hate the base, but if it means getting the job you want, the location is neglegable.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Cannon AFB is in New Mexico. It will soon be the new home to AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command). Most guys hate the base, but if it means getting the job you want, the location is neglegable.

it actually IS the home of AFSOC now...our planes have been here for about a year now...so yeah...and no one likes it here...but the jobs the job and u have to go where the planes go so we got screwed.

last names Strayer...he'll know exactly who i am. have fun, tech school is a blast....but sheppard sucks lol.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

^ I didn't think all of AFSOC's airframes were out there yet. I recently was TDY by Hurlburt and they still had the AC-130's, MC-130's as well as Offspreys.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
NKAWTG...N

^ I didn't think all of AFSOC's airframes were out there yet. I recently was TDY by Hurlburt and they still had the AC-130's, MC-130's as well as Offspreys.
You suck!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

he didn't get a college degree in spelling! haha

silver99 are you saying all of Hurlburt has moved to Cannon?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver99tA
...Cannon AFB propulsion section and we need more 3 lvl's so im pretty sure ur coming here...
NOOOOOOOO! If there is any reason to rethink your decision...THIS IS IT!!

I enlisted "general mechanical" many years ago. I went maint and loved it, but I went fighters (Tactical Aircraft Maintenance). Yes we worked more than the support staff (like finance, and guy at the gym passing out basketballs) but we were proud of what we did. I have to agree with everyone though, many crew chiefs get out after their initial enlistment because they are burnt out, but then again, many do not.

If your goal is to go to school during your enlistment, pick an office job, but the Air Force is about aircraft, work around them.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

h's, w's, predators and all the little secret squirrel planes.....still waiting off ospreys so yeah about 95% are here...
Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I contracted 1A8 (Airborne Cryptologic Linguist), back in August, and my first day of BMT is 18 Jan 2010.

I'm very excited, not nervous as all, more worried about going through one of the longest training experiences in the air force (2 full years of training, it would seem).

I plan on leaving ALL of my Dreamsheets BLANK. I don't know what Language I will be learning, and I don't know where they'll send me after I learn it, but I do know it's gonna be one hell of a ride out in the wild blue yonder.

Thanks for serving/joining guys! Till then, make the most of the DEP experience. I've been working out, practicing facing movements, memorizing rank structure, core values, the airman creed, etc.

Up to a personal best of 49 pushups in a minute, 43 situps in a minute, and a 10:10 1.5 mi. Climbing every day!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Not bad, keep it up. Enjoy the training, it's the easy part of the USAF and you don't have much responsibility.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noodles
Hey guys,

I contracted 1A8 (Airborne Cryptologic Linguist), back in August, and my first day of BMT is 18 Jan 2010.

I'm very excited, not nervous as all, more worried about going through one of the longest training experiences in the air force (2 full years of training, it would seem).

I plan on leaving ALL of my Dreamsheets BLANK. I don't know what Language I will be learning, and I don't know where they'll send me after I learn it, but I do know it's gonna be one hell of a ride out in the wild blue yonder.

Thanks for serving/joining guys! Till then, make the most of the DEP experience. I've been working out, practicing facing movements, memorizing rank structure, core values, the airman creed, etc.

Up to a personal best of 49 pushups in a minute, 43 situps in a minute, and a 10:10 1.5 mi. Climbing every day!
Nice! My assigned "wingman" when I went through basic was also an airborne linguist. Are they still offering the same HUGE sign on bonus for that AFSC?

I think that it would be a difficult AFSC to do, but then again learning a foreign language just seems difficult in itself to me. But that is why the training is so long. I think my buddy ended up in Montenegro (or somthing like that) California for the bulk of his tech school. Pretty sweet deal, especially if the sign on bonus is still out there.

Get ready to learn Farsie or Mandarin. Those where the popular picks for when my "wingman" was getting picked.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys!

And yes, as Air Force bonus go, it's a miiiighty big one. They raised it from 12,000 to 15,000 for FY 2010, but I won't be seeing it for a while thanks to tech school length, lol. :/

You were close! It's MONTEREY, Ca. I'm thinking Farsi and Mandarin are big possibilities too, but maybe Arabic and Pashto also?

As far as difficulty goes, it's ranked the air force's "most stressed job" at a Stress level of 2.15 (over Pararescue which is 1.58)...

Hahaha, I guess I'll find out and let you know!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Good luck noodles! I dont think I could ever do that job!. When I went to meps though there was a guy going into the army as a linguist. He he could speak german, spanish and he was actually learning farsi using german. Smart guy!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Teching In

:-O

That guy's got 3 up on me!
I only speak english!!!! Lol, but according to my DLAB scores I'll pick up whatever they decide to teach me pretty easy (yeah... pretty easy given an INSANE amount of effort).

Have you gotten in touch with your recruiter yet? I'm surprised he doesn't have you going to DEP calls and such? I need to make 2 face to face visits with my recruiter every month! plus call in to report every Friday!

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF