Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the USAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Joined the USAF

Like the title sais, Joined the USAF about 2 weeks ago. Will be shipping out to Lackland sometime in Feb. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is on Active duty or is like me getting ready to be sent to basic. I would like to hear some advice and maybe how your time in the AF has gone so far. Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive been in the process for the last month due to a damn waiver. Took my ASVAB mid October. Waiver should be approved next week Im hearing. Im pretty stoked about joining for sure.
What jobs are you looking at? Ive been destroying myself this last month in preparation for TAC-P. Im confident about the PAST, but the school house is still pretty foreboding.

Congrats on getting in!

http://forums.military.com/eve
Has a lot of great information. Check it out if you have time.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

congrats to both of you. I was on my way in, but had some complications... long story short getting a half sleeve done little sooner than thought. Its an option for me still, but I think I rather start getting in to a shop and working on car/bikes and getting in to racing on my bike.

I've heard good and bad from my brother who just got out 6yrs active SF. Haha, basically dont do SF and if you want to go to school you gotta fight for it or wait for the GI bill afterwards. Good luck to both of you. And thank you
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

congrats! take it day by day and you will fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 PM
NKAWTG...N

Congrats buddy!

What AFSC you going for?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k man been in for almost 7 years. I am an A-10 Crew Chief and it's all good. It's what you make it.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Basic- No one ever passes the first inspection. I had the same crap in my locker two weeks latrer and it passed. It is one big mental game, their job is to break you down and have you make mistakes so you can correct them. KP duty is fun but really don't go crazy or by diner time you won't even want to eat. Warrior week is so much fun minus being sleep deprived.

Tech School- Don't be a green rope, they are stupid. Have fun and get out of the dorms whenever possible. My section would even pull pranks all through the weekend.

And lastly, have fun.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Launching!

My first Job pick was Aerospace Propulsion, second is helicopter mechanic and then a few more. I really hope I don't get stuck changing tires or something though. I'm going in to specifically learn, not do stuff I already know how to do.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

8 years as a B1 Crew Chief and now 2 as a firefighter, its been a good ride and still look fwd to what will come next. Im thinking USAF Honor Guard....I like to move around.

There are a lot of opportunity's in the AF, you just gota take advantage of them. Good luck to you both and hope you get the jobs you want.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dmaleck
Like the title sais, Joined the USAF about 2 weeks ago. Will be shipping out to Lackland sometime in Feb. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is on Active duty or is like me getting ready to be sent to basic. I would like to hear some advice and maybe how your time in the AF has gone so far. Thanks!!
im leavin feb also might see ya there
Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

i hated basic yet loved it as well, just remember to pay attention and make sure you can do push ups and sit-up's. i too am an a-10 crew chief and have been in for 5 1/2 years. but im getting out and going back to school to ROTC to become an officer and fly. so what ever you do finish school and get your degree!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I joined I came in half way through March. You are going at a good time of year. It won't be too bitter cold, but not to hot either.

You've volunteered to stand beside guys like me and Stole-It to defend the nation in a time where it needs it the most. First off I want to say "Thank You!".

2nd, I will say that boot camp is far from enjoyable, and I can almost garuntee that a week or so into it you are going to start to wonder why you decided to get yourself into all this mess. My advice will be to stand strong and keep the reasons you joined as your goal to stick through it.

Sounds like you've got some pretty good choices for AFSC's. Stick to them, and don't let them talk you into something you don't know about, or even worse, going in as an open general spot where they can put you wherever they want to.

Best of luck, and congrats!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Thanks again for all the advice and support, I really appreciate it!! As far as going in as open, I already signed in as mechanical aptitude area. They told me that I may not be guarnteed Propulsion or one of the jobs I picked BUT I am guarnteed a Mechanical job. Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks again for all the advice and support, I really appreciate it!! As far as going in as open, I already signed in as mechanical aptitude area. They told me that I may not be guarnteed Propulsion or one of the jobs I picked BUT I am guarnteed a Mechanical job. Thanks again!
So are you saying that you are open general, as in you don't have a garunteed AFSC, other than knowing it will be in the mechanical area?

If you like the thought of being a crew chief AFSC and long hours of wrenching on stuff doesn't bother you, then you should be okay.

But I have to tell you that generally speaking, maintainence is not one of the most sought after jobs. Most guys hate it actually. Mostly because you work very long hours, without much respect usually. I had a lot of friends that were maintainers at my previous base, and out of about 100 that I knew, only 1 or 2 actually liked it. Most try and get out as soon as their enlistment is up, or try to change career paths as soon as they get the chance (which usually is the same time as the time they enlisted for). This is usually why recruiters try to push the job so much, because they have a hard time filling it, and there are always openings with guys trying to get out of the career path.

Picking your job is priority #1 going in. You really need to make sure this is something that you will like, otherwise your military career may end up very miserable.

I am telling you this just to be sure you know what you are getting into, and you know you are making the right choice. Those 1 or 2 guys who loved being maintainers where great dudes who loved their career (and they were great at it). If you have done the research on it (as in talked with a few actual military maintainers) and you know full well what the job entails, and that is what excites you, then you are on the right path. But if you ended up like the majority of that 98-99 guys who were not aware of the job when they joined, and they hated life because of it, then I would strongly encourage you to do some quick research and get with your recruiter to nail down a solid good AFSC, so they don't pick it for you.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Launching!

At MEPS, after I took my physical and what not I talked to the AF guy in the little room. I picked 5 jobs #1 being aerospace propulsion, he said that they match jobs up in the beginning of the every month....SO if propulsion is open i get the job, if its not they take my 2nd job choice...then 3rd...and so on. He said if worse comes to worse I find my job out when I get down to Basic.

Hopefully the job they DO give me I will like, I picked mechanical because I love wrenching on stuff....but i do get to a point, after lets say a 12hr day, It starts to suck ***.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

As already said just take it one day at a time and you will be fine! Seen alot of comments on job selection, I was a Aerospace Ground Equipment Tech in SAC=Strategic Air Command (worked on all powerd and non powerd equipment planes use while on the ground to do maint, testing or run systems. I loved, it got to travel and only worked long hours during exercises, got married and got out. Good luck!

USAF 1984-1990
Old 11-27-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

At MEPS, after I took my physical and what not I talked to the AF guy in the little room. I picked 5 jobs #1 being aerospace propulsion, he said that they match jobs up in the beginning of the every month....SO if propulsion is open i get the job, if its not they take my 2nd job choice...then 3rd...and so on. He said if worse comes to worse I find my job out when I get down to Basic.

Hopefully the job they DO give me I will like, I picked mechanical because I love wrenching on stuff....but i do get to a point, after lets say a 12hr day, It starts to suck ***.
I would make sure you have a definate AFSC PRIOR to going to Basic. Otherwise, they will end up putting you where the Air Force needs you (which usually is not near anyones first choice). If they do give you a job, make sure its in writing, and not just someone telling you "we'll try to get you this job", or "this should be the job you get". Recruiters are a means to get in, but they do not hold your priorities as their priorities. Their job is to bring people in, and most times that means filling un-wanted career paths.

The maintainers I knew usually worked consistant 12 hour days (to include weekends). They worked longer hours in the desert. Most of them would be used for their jobs and that was about it. Meaning they would not really be respected. By their superiors, co-workers, or unfortunatly at times, by the aircrew who's planes they were fixing. They would often not be given opportunities that other career paths would be given. For example, my squadron allowed me to go to college so I could finish my degree. Granted this was all on my own time (nights, weekends, even did some classes while I was deployed), but they allowed it. I knew many maintainers that were not even given this chance because they needed to work, and thier shop would not allow it (this gives you an idea of the home life as well).

Keep in mind, that this is a generalization. I am quite sure there are other maintainers out there that have it better. Unfortunatly I know of some that have it worse.

My point I guess, is just try to nail in the job you want for sure, because the last thing you want is to be thrown into an AFSC by surprize that you will not be happy with. Once you are there, you are stuck. There is no going back to the guy at MEPS who told you it would be something different. You'll be locked in for your enlistment.

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
As already said just take it one day at a time and you will be fine! Seen alot of comments on job selection, I was a Aerospace Ground Equipment Tech in SAC=Strategic Air Command (worked on all powerd and non powerd equipment planes use while on the ground to do maint, testing or run systems. I loved, it got to travel and only worked long hours during exercises, got married and got out. Good luck!

USAF 1984-1990
Keep in mind things have changed drastically since the days of SAC. I would have loved to be in during SAC where the Air Force had huge budgets and whatever they needed they got. Back when Aircrews just got to fly and do their mission.

With all the draw backs, the Air Force is now much more oriented at "Doing more with less", or in reality "Doing more with nearly nothing".

When I first arrived as a Boom Operator in my squadron in 2004, we had a squadron full of people who's jobs were to support us (life support, scheduling, mobility, flight records ect.). By the time I left in 2008, the Air Force had done so many job cuts and draw backs to save money, other than flight records, the aircrew were now doing all the support jobs as well as trying to fly. I was in charge of Mobility as well as being a scheduler. It was such a mess that in the end we were unable to complete many missions that were handed to us due to lack of people available because we were so busy just trying to keep everything running ourselves.

All this was in just my flying shop. The maintainers were being cut even worse, and were needed to work even longer hours with less help.

Sometimes I wish we were back in a state of war to the severity that the days of SAC funding were still here. Then we could do a lot more and not be hanging on by such a thin thread.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Im going to bootcamp febuary 23rd, 2a531, i was hoping for an avionics job but i got the call from my recruiter and i took the maint job.

good luck and maybe see you in basic! hah
Old 11-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Launching!

I will try to take your advice and make something happen. I havent been able to get ahold of my recruiter ever since I swore in though, I dont know if he went on vac. or what but as soon as I get ahold of him I'll see whats going on...for all I know I already got picked for a job. Firetpi, good luck to you also and maybe I'll see ya. Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I would make sure you have a definate AFSC PRIOR to going to Basic. Otherwise, they will end up putting you where the Air Force needs you (which usually is not near anyones first choice). If they do give you a job, make sure its in writing, and not just someone telling you "we'll try to get you this job", or "this should be the job you get". Recruiters are a means to get in, but they do not hold your priorities as their priorities. Their job is to bring people in, and most times that means filling un-wanted career paths.

The maintainers I knew usually worked consistant 12 hour days (to include weekends). They worked longer hours in the desert. Most of them would be used for their jobs and that was about it. Meaning they would not really be respected. By their superiors, co-workers, or unfortunatly at times, by the aircrew who's planes they were fixing. They would often not be given opportunities that other career paths would be given. For example, my squadron allowed me to go to college so I could finish my degree. Granted this was all on my own time (nights, weekends, even did some classes while I was deployed), but they allowed it. I knew many maintainers that were not even given this chance because they needed to work, and thier shop would not allow it (this gives you an idea of the home life as well).

Keep in mind, that this is a generalization. I am quite sure there are other maintainers out there that have it better. Unfortunatly I know of some that have it worse.

My point I guess, is just try to nail in the job you want for sure, because the last thing you want is to be thrown into an AFSC by surprize that you will not be happy with. Once you are there, you are stuck. There is no going back to the guy at MEPS who told you it would be something different. You'll be locked in for your enlistment.

Keep in mind things have changed drastically since the days of SAC. I would have loved to be in during SAC where the Air Force had huge budgets and whatever they needed they got. Back when Aircrews just got to fly and do their mission.

With all the draw backs, the Air Force is now much more oriented at "Doing more with less", or in reality "Doing more with nearly nothing".

When I first arrived as a Boom Operator in my squadron in 2004, we had a squadron full of people who's jobs were to support us (life support, scheduling, mobility, flight records ect.). By the time I left in 2008, the Air Force had done so many job cuts and draw backs to save money, other than flight records, the aircrew were now doing all the support jobs as well as trying to fly. I was in charge of Mobility as well as being a scheduler. It was such a mess that in the end we were unable to complete many missions that were handed to us due to lack of people available because we were so busy just trying to keep everything running ourselves.

All this was in just my flying shop. The maintainers were being cut even worse, and were needed to work even longer hours with less help.

Sometimes I wish we were back in a state of war to the severity that the days of SAC funding were still here. Then we could do a lot more and not be hanging on by such a thin thread.
Well, I couldn't of said it much better myself. Screw maintenance and the lack of respect we get for a job well done.

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF