Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

LAST MONTH BEFORE BASIC :eek:

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LAST MONTH BEFORE BASIC :eek:

well guys, im finally starting my military career come January 6th, im pretty excited but also extremely nervous!!!!! my M.O.S as stated before on other threads is 91L (construction equipment repairer). i will be attending basic Fort Leonard Wood as well as AIT.

can anyone give me some pointers i guess the part that has me freaked out is the PT testing, i would like to know some of the following

i currently run 2 miles a day do you think thats good enough or should i try and increase that?

i usually do 20 push ups in the morning 20 push ups after lunch and 20 push ups before bed!! i was reading something online and i came across someone say they did 200 pushups in an hour is that true

im not really worried on the whole mind game thing, im a pretty quiet guy, i usually try and keep to myself. but i understand when the drill Sargent tells me im lower than whale **** on the bottom of the ocean that he's just pushing...
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

The farthest I think I ever ran in BCT was 3.5 miles, but I was in charlie group. "A train" ran as far as 5 miles I think. I would work on doing 60 pushups all at once rather than split up throughout the day. Twenty pushups at a time isn't going to allow you to pass the PT test unless you're a female, and even if you are, you don't want to barely pass.

You don't have much time to safely increase your workout before BCT, but you have a good start at least. And keep this in mind: DS's have a good track record of getting most people to pass the APFT no matter what shape they're in before getting to BCT.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what did you mean charlie group, also track record?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else??
Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Teching In

just show up, basic training isn't hard.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Basic training was fun. Your age determines how fast you have to run youre 2 miles, how many push ups and how many sit ups you have to do. And it isnt the distance you need to worry about its the pace. The "A train" that someone talked about earlier is what running group you will be in. Alpha is the fastest, and it goes down from there. If you can run two miles in under 15.5 minutes you wont have anything to worry about in any age range.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200 push ups in an hour? Pfft cake. Id shoot for at least 60 in a minute. Isnt that bad if you train hard enough for it.

You run 2 miles now. Thats good. Bump it to 3 or 4 without stopping and build that endurance.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fort "Lost in the Woods"...I went to Fragg yrs ago. You'll be ahead of those who have done nothing/poor shape/uncoordinated etc. It can be funny as long as it's someone else gettin' it. The gas house was fun and the days at the ranges.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Staging Lane

After being in one branch, then a civilian for a year and a half, and coming to the Army I worked on getting my minimums for the PT test done in the first minute.. After that, its just numbers for the score card. Just took a PT test a week ago and ran a 15:30 2mile which is **** but considering I have a partially torn tendon around my left ankle and being on a no run profile for 3 months I think i did alright.

Whatever you do, don't fall out of PT, you will be the DS scape goat the entire time you're there with them. Luckly for me at Ft. Knox I did most of my PT on my own time being an insert there.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Teching In

If all you are doing is 60 pushups through out the day than all you are doing is wasting your time. If you need a good pushup work out let me know.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

^ I would like to know your pushup workout if you dont mind.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im on leave from basic at fort.sill right now for two weeks. Before i left for basic i did 70 push ups and 65 sit ups in 2 min, and ran my 2 mile in 1454. Im in bravo right now. The worst part about pt imo is getting no sleep and only having ate at 1700 the night before so your pretty tired, and its cold as all hell. Run like 4-5 miles at a good pace and it will be a breeze. Just pay attention and follow the man in front of you. BRM will be a son of a bitch, i quailified when it was 1 degree and raining out so that was fun lol. The CS chamber will prob be one of the worst pains of your life. Ruck marches arent too bad except the 10 and 15k will **** you up some. Hand grenades will give you a boner hahaha. In all honesty basic is easy, you make it hard.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dmaleck
^ I would like to know your pushup workout if you dont mind.
If your main goal is just to do more push ups on a pt test here is the workout that works for me. Find out how many good push ups you can do without resting. Take ten off that number so lets say you can do 85. Start your workout by doing 75 push ups, rest one minute and than do 70. Take another minute break and do 65. Continue that all the way down till you are doing 5 push ups. If along the way you cant do the whole set go to your knees and finish them. Once you get down to 5, do as many as you can in the normal postion and than do as many as you can from the knees. Repaet every other day. As soon as you are able to do the entire set without going to your knees move everything up by 5 push ups. That is the workout that I have found that works the best for me and I cant remember the last time I did less than 90 push ups on a pt test. Hope it works for you.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

basic is easy.. it is what you make of it. if you can actually run 2 miles straight, you will be fine.

nothing there, is what i would consider "hard". not trying to sound like a hard ***, but seriously. I went in with a borderline fat percentage, and had no problem with the PT. In fact, when I left BT, I easily maxed the pushups and situps... the run i still suck at though. lol. getting in the chamber isn't that horrible. i've been sprayed with pepper spray and that was A LOT worse than the CS gas. it only hurts for a few minutes. you start laughing afterwards when you watch other people go through it. ruck marches can suck if you don't prepare you feet for them. if you get blisters, you will have to run/march on them the next day. a trick i learned, is where one of the dress socks under a normal sock. it cuts down on the friction, that leads to blisters. keeps ur feet nice and toasty too.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Do pyramid pushups.. Those will get ya, if the right DS/MTI is doing it right
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I leave for basic on the 6th too. Cant wait. Good luck to you.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

yeah pyramid is the way of the pushup/working out... enjoy time with your friends, bc in a few years most of them will move to away or you will lose contact with most except a few..
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic is easy. It's just.....annoying. Just make the best of it. Focus on the positives. Make lots of friends, and have fun. Don't worry about the PT. One of the primary goals of BCT is getting you into shape. PT 6 days a week will do it, unless you're a fatass. And don't be a complainer, snitch, or crybaby. You'll get smoked ALOT, but have fun with it. I always though it was comical. Flatulence and seeing grown men crying can have alot of people laughing their asses off during a smoke session.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

you joined the army, it cant be that hard. You'll pass basic as long as you can breathe. Army basic training is a joke. you will be fine.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black93camaro
you joined the army, it cant be that hard. You'll pass basic as long as you can breathe. Army basic training is a joke. you will be fine.
Have you been to Army basic. If not you than you have no idea what you are talking about and need to STFU.

Quick Reply: LAST MONTH BEFORE BASIC :eek: