Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Hawaii folks...I got a question for ya..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal, thanks for the heads up. I will for sure take lots of pics and get alot of the modding done prior to getting there. I only got a few weeks left so i have to hurry lol.

I'm alittle stuck as to which roll bar i want...Im looking at the wolfe, but thinking maybe the simplicity of the rk sport light bar would be easyier and more appealing to the eye. Not to mention ill be able to use the back seat to throw some ladies in lol.

I got a cam and headers coming..next is suspension and roll bar. I thought about ditching the wheels, but i think the hawk rims should probably stay and then stuff a 315 35 Nitto on back. It will fit a 9in wide rim.

On another note...i got a Supermoto im bringing out there with me with a good all terrain tire..And good trail spots?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you better get john to tune it b4 ya leave lol
Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
you better get john to tune it b4 ya leave lol
Hey hey bro...yea no joke...Do you have Johns number anymore?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i have it. pm sent
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Good deal, thanks for the heads up. I will for sure take lots of pics and get alot of the modding done prior to getting there. I only got a few weeks left so i have to hurry lol.

I'm alittle stuck as to which roll bar i want...Im looking at the wolfe, but thinking maybe the simplicity of the rk sport light bar would be easyier and more appealing to the eye. Not to mention ill be able to use the back seat to throw some ladies in lol.

I got a cam and headers coming..next is suspension and roll bar. I thought about ditching the wheels, but i think the hawk rims should probably stay and then stuff a 315 35 Nitto on back. It will fit a 9in wide rim.

On another note...i got a Supermoto im bringing out there with me with a good all terrain tire..And good trail spots?
wolfe 6pt.CM with dual swing out here on the 35th and mild steel solid bar on the m6.good luck.check us out@hifba.com
Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you do it go chrome molly!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to a guy named Chris at Wolfe yesterday and they are going to send me a four point chromoly in pieces so my buddies at a muffler shop can put the two back bars almost dead center on the main hoop. About 6inches apart from one another so i can fit two back seat passengers without hitting there heads.... I should have pics up in about 2 weeks.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have to tig weld the molly cages! No mig welding! TJ had a gut do his cheap here in pensacola! Welds for gulf power or something and did a damn good job! We also have a tip on painting it and make it look bad *** and simple
Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

get the dual swing outs.alot easier getting in and out.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am just getting a 4 point i dont want the door bars even if i can take them out.

On another note whats thw housing market like out there? im looking at buying a investment property while im there.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL a $80,000 house here is $500,000 there with no yard at all lol. In hawaii live on base housing you cant beat it! Save a ton on gas and makes things so much easier and cheaper! Cars get stolen like crazy or broken in to!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

dont listen to Dan hes been gone for almost 3 yrs now.not sure but look into it when you get here.been here since 93 and stayed ever since.own a house not renting.good luck.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bet things are even worse in Hawaii now due to economy and people loosing jobs making people want to steal even more. Base housing is the only way to go in my book. I mean hawaii is a 3 year tour so why buy or rent. Traffic is crazy in hawaii on H1 in morning and afternoons.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking at it from an investment standpoint. I'm buying a house at every assignment i get and renting them out with military tenants when i leave. It not only tends to bring in a small amount of profit, but after i retire i will sell a few and if all works out i will make a nice chunk and not only that i will be able to pick out which house to retire in.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

i mean when we were there the housing market was banging and you could make a killing. Now its a lot harder! Back then i had a friend buy a town house lived in it 2 years did nothing to it and the value went up $50,000 so they made a good profit of it. From people i know down there that do real estate have told me its not like that anymore.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

There is a shop called Bsm performance down in Honolulu. They specialize in American cars- mostly lsx. A full dyno tune is $450. Lasts however long it'll take to get optimum performance and drivability. You can come back the next 365 days after for free adjustments as you get more modifications done, and need more tuning.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah thats not a full tune They will dyno it and try to tune it and get it drivable but not a full tune. Untill they tune with EFI live or hptuners its not going to be a full tune. Using the 1st software out isnt going to give you a full tune
Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as tuning goes, don't rule out mail order tuning. i hear Frost is really good and i plan on sending my pcm to him in the next few weeks. woulda done it sooner but i bought a bunch of susp parts (see sig).

you know Travis has about three mac flights a day going to and from hawaii right? free to you, spouse and dependants. i'm at Travis right now, can't say i like it much
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
Yeah thats not a full tune They will dyno it and try to tune it and get it drivable but not a full tune. Untill they tune with EFI live or hptuners its not going to be a full tune. Using the 1st software out isnt going to give you a full tune
Well that's helpful information. My car with mods in sig made 347.7 rwhp. You think I could get more from another tuner?

I wasn't aware they were using old(?) software. I was pretty happy with my numbers. I guess my car will never fully be tuned until I get back home. You'd think buying hptuners would be a cheap investment with the amount of customers they bring in and the money they charge... You have any advice on another tuner?

Also, to the original poster: I thought I might add driving anything that makes any power at all here sucks. I am not reckless but just like anyone else I like to step on it on occasion, and the opportunity rarely presents itself here. Cops are everywhere and most are in unmarked cars with their little blue light off. They park and hide anywhere. Since there is no track here, I went to a car meet(sti owner showed me) at the NEX parking lot and after being told to leave by police, the ride heading back home had so many flashing lights on either side of the road, I could have turned off my headlights and see where I was going. It was unreal.

At least I got a few good kills in that night. Not the same as the track or the many dead roads where I come from.:/
Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

for minor stuff they are fine. I think they still use ls1edit. Thats why you have like 50 people from f-bodys, Gto's to vettes that all get together and have ls1tech sponsor Vengeance Racing fly out and tune there cars If they were that good why would these people pay more for the tune to fly someone in

Quick Reply: Hawaii folks...I got a question for ya..