Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
I'm Marine Corps Infantry, What exactly are you wanting to know?

For your questions in regards to what 'levels' there are...

03XX - Your basic Marine Infantry, which is anything but 'basic'. Not a damn thing wrong with being a run of the mill Grunt. There's plenty in the community who could move up to Recon or Marsoc and simply choose not to due to loving what they do already.

STA - Surveillance and Target Acquisition - Sniper platoons. They are part of the 'basic infantry' still, but figured I'd throw it out there since there is a unique set of qualifications required by each battalion.

Reconnaissance - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Recon Battalions. These are some tough guys with some serious mental and physical toughness. Not just anyone can go in, the only thing a recruiter can gaurantee you is the ability to take the endoc (the test, basically), Recon will decide whether or not they want to take you after that.

MARSOC - Marine Special Operations command. Technically not even a Marine Corps Command, you fall under Special Ops Command. These guys are the best of the best, Triathlon level athletes. You'll go through various screenings once you make it to the fleet (if your unit allows you), once you go through the screenings and are found fit to go to A&S you'll go to assessment and selection which is 5 weeks if I'm not mistaken. Make it through the 5 weeks and you still aren't guaranteed a spot, you are selected based on your performance. After that you have to go through 6 months of school on becoming an operator.

If you're interested in Jumping out of planes... Recon will probably get you jump qualled, as will MARSOC... That's about it though. I realize you may think that jumping out of planes is fun, but it's a very outdated form of insertion... so fun is really all it offers.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Take all of this with a grain of salt. Everyone has a very high opinion of their own branch and think all the others are second best. I can't count how many times I have heard marine infantry being called elite which kind of proved my point not that marine infantry are not good but let's not go over board. MARSOC is good but not what I would call the best of the best and have had there share of problems in Astan. And trust me they are not all triatheletes. Alot of special ops guys are alot more normal than most people think.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
Take all of this with a grain of salt. Everyone has a very high opinion of their own branch and think all the others are second best. I can't count how many times I have heard marine infantry being called elite which kind of proved my point not that marine infantry are not good but let's not go over board. MARSOC is good but not what I would call the best of the best and have had there share of problems in Astan. And trust me they are not all triatheletes. Alot of special ops guys are alot more normal than most people think.
I never dogged the Army or any other branch, everything I said was Marine Corps specific.

In regards to triathletes, you may want to check your sources. MARSOC is no joke, it's flat out difficult. The level of personal fitness required is up there with professional athletes. It's not a shot at anyone, I'm sure the Army has a level of special ops that has similar requirements. I was by no means suggesting that they are super human or not even 'normal', I was referring to their level of physical and mental fitness. All the information I provided on MARSOC was provided by Marines that I know very well who went to assessment and selection. Neither is the type to embelish, and I know their level of physical fitness as I worked with them everyday. They are now preparing to try again for MARSOC and their workout regime is beyond intense. Also for the record, one of them is indeed a marathon runner and has participated in a few biathlons.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I never dogged the Army or any other branch, everything I said was Marine Corps specific.

In regards to triathletes, you may want to check your sources. MARSOC is no joke, it's flat out difficult. The level of personal fitness required is up there with professional athletes. It's not a shot at anyone, I'm sure the Army has a level of special ops that has similar requirements. I was by no means suggesting that they are super human or not even 'normal', I was referring to their level of physical and mental fitness. All the information I provided on MARSOC was provided by Marines that I know very well who went to assessment and selection. Neither is the type to embelish, and I know their level of physical fitness as I worked with them everyday. They are now preparing to try again for MARSOC and their workout regime is beyond intense. Also for the record, one of them is indeed a marathon runner and has participated in a few biathlons.
First of all let me appologise if my post it seemed like I was ragging on you. All I meant to do is make sure the op understood that everyone who serves will have some natural biased opionions about which branch is best. I really didn't mean your post exactly. As for the shape MARSOC guys are in I have worked with them in the past and like you said some of them are in outstanding shape but some are not. The shape you need to be in when getting ready for selection is not the same as the guys in the unit. It dosent take super athletes to make it in anyones selection just a person in good physical shape and a mental state that will never let you quit. The mental part is much more important than anything else.

Ps sorry about the bad spelling I suck at typing on my iPhone.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

In regards to triathletes, you may want to check your sources. MARSOC is no joke, it's flat out difficult.
i would trust his source long before many others.

the prior MARSOC guy i work with here is in good shape but he trains above and beyond his prior job standards.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM

hmm i am biased because i am a marine but you have to see that though the two different forces do the same the level of each is totally different....i am a 3521 which is a basic truck mechanic and i have guys who went marsoc but they are on the support level many people can say they were marsoc but there is a big difference between a marsoc support guy and a marsoc infantry guy......my only pet peeve about the difference between the two infantries is that with the Army your basic training and infantry training is about 13 weeks (source from a kid who just left) with the marine corp boot is 13 weeks then you go to soi for two months depending on which infantry specialty you get selected for.. so dont get me wrong we all protect our country and fight but the degree of training between the two is totally different as well as the physical and mental demands it all come down to how much do you really want to join the military
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Just, my personal opinion, but I would go Navy, same pay check, and less BS.. been doing it for 5 years now.. working on Jet engines, and building my hot rods.. I cant complain..
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_ramair_ta
Just, my personal opinion, but I would go Navy, same pay check, and less BS.. been doing it for 5 years now.. working on Jet engines, and building my hot rods.. I cant complain..
My brother was in the Navy, saw alot of cool places. however i cant realy find the mos that i want in the navy, im signing for the Marines around the end of the year. i wouldnt mind going to the airforce so i could finish college but i think i would be bored in the airforce.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by racerfox
ok first off you can go airborne in the marines i would go recon if you want high speed low drag type stuff i would get a 0300 contract for the marines we hold a higher stander then the army when it comes to the infantry.

also read up on some history on the army and usmc

talk to guys who have deployed before on both sides and make your choice

listen to this clown, typical jarhead ****, marines are higher standard individuals. army grunts and marine grunts do the same **** but they have 7 month deployments as opposed to 12 to 15 month deployments for the army.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by U.S.Marine09
hmm i am biased because i am a marine but you have to see that though the two different forces do the same the level of each is totally different....i am a 3521 which is a basic truck mechanic and i have guys who went marsoc but they are on the support level many people can say they were marsoc but there is a big difference between a marsoc support guy and a marsoc infantry guy......my only pet peeve about the difference between the two infantries is that with the Army your basic training and infantry training is about 13 weeks (source from a kid who just left) with the marine corp boot is 13 weeks then you go to soi for two months depending on which infantry specialty you get selected for.. so dont get me wrong we all protect our country and fight but the degree of training between the two is totally different as well as the physical and mental demands it all come down to how much do you really want to join the military

i enlisted army infantry in 2003 and i had 13 weeks for basic and about 4 1/2 weeks ait which for us is equivelant to soi.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by U.S.Marine09
You're a boot, you don't know ****. You're reserve to top it off. Until you've got at least an enlistment or two deployments under your belt, stfu. As a 3521 you know absolute dick about the 03xx field.

Originally Posted by redws618
listen to this clown, typical jarhead ****, marines are higher standard individuals. army grunts and marine grunts do the same **** but they have 7 month deployments as opposed to 12 to 15 month deployments for the army.
He's not a typical Jarhead, he's worse. He's a boot jarhead. I'm a typical Jarhead.

Originally Posted by redws618
i enlisted army infantry in 2003 and i had 13 weeks for basic and about 4 1/2 weeks ait which for us is equivelant to soi.
Basic for Marines is 13 weeks, SOI is 8 weeks. You don't learn **** in SOI though compared to what comes from the on the job training in the fleet.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Basic for Marines is 13 weeks, SOI is 8 weeks. You don't learn **** in SOI though compared to what comes from the on the job training in the fleet.[/QUOTE]

my childhood friend was a marine grunt and i was army grunt, that goes well when we get with eachother, lol. but major respect for all except navy and airforce, (coreman are good and all the pilots), atleast the rest of us are on ground and not in kuwait!! but really respect em all.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Staging Lane

Army gets better equipment, because they are their own department with their own funding. Marine Corps is a department of the Navy so that's who cuts their budget. Training for both is difficult, but it is a known fact that it is tougher physically and mentally to make a Marine than a Soldier. But that's not saying anything bad about the Army. I'm in the Navy on the ground in Afghanistan and work alongside Soldiers and Marines everyday in a joint enviornment. Both branches have their share of badass dudes, as well as shitbags and fatties.

When I get back from this deployment I'm going to either go Marines or Army infantry. It would make the most sense to go Army, because I won't have to go back to boot camp and I'll be able to keep my rank...but there is something about the Marines that still gets me, maybe the fact that I'm a sailor and we go hand in hand. But going back to boot camp with a bunch of teenagers AND having to lose my rank? It's a tough decision, but thankfully I have a lot of time to think about it out here lol.

Either way you go, it's a good choice because you're taking up arms in defense of your country and protecting the American way of life for your family. John Stuart Mill said this quote in 1862, and I like to deliver it to all the liberal ******* hippies I can find. You might enjoy it as well.

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself”.

Semper Fortis, good luck in boot.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

While Marine basic is longer than Army basic, how much of that time is spent doing anything that will actually make you a better grunt. How much time did you spend on D&C and Marine history. I am not saying that that is a bad thing to know, well D&C is pretty useless, but knowing the history of the Corps will keep not you alive in a firefight. My brother is in the Corps and I am in the Army and from what he told me the Marines waste way more time on that type of thing. There are some things I really like about the Marines and there are some things that would make me go insane if I was in the Corps. Pretty much the same for the regular Army.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

offtopic: What does D&C stands for?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

While Marine basic is longer than Army basic, how much of that time is spent doing anything that will actually make you a better grunt. How much time did you spend on D&C and Marine history. I am not saying that that is a bad thing to know, well D&C is pretty useless, but knowing the history of the Corps will keep not you alive in a firefight. My brother is in the Corps and I am in the Army and from what he told me the Marines waste way more time on that type of thing. There are some things I really like about the Marines and there are some things that would make me go insane if I was in the Corps. Pretty much the same for the regular Army.
I see what you're saying, but the reason the Corps preach the history so much is because it's important to know who came before you and what they accomplished because once out there, it gives you a sense of obligation not to fail on the battlefield.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
offtopic: What does D&C stands for?
Drill and Ceremony. That **** in the movies where all those guys are on a parade field and follow commands then march past some high ranking officer while saluting. Now if only they'd show the part where everyone bitchs about doing it both before and after; and that no one knows what to do until 2 days before the ceremony because its never practiced.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Marine corps bootcamp starts with about 4 weeks of drill, ceremony, and other items, then moves into the weapons and field training portion which lasts about 8 more weeks prior to graduating. Following grad there's 3 additional weeks of dedicated combat training for non infantry MOS's before proceeding to the primary MOS school.

Not tooting our own horn, just putting the facts out there.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Teching In

4 Weeks of drill and ceremony? LOL Does it really take that much time for someone to learn parade rest attention fall out? Just how much of that "field training" is some guy who sits in an office going to remember in a few years? I hardly count that as making 1 paper pusher superior to another one.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Army drops bayonets, 5 mile runs from bootcamp and less DI screaming at recruits... recent news. sounds like the navy is gunna be more hard then the army bootcamp lol
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

I'm Army infantry and my twin brother is Marine Corps infantry. He is now an instructor at SOI and I'm a recruiter for the Army National Guard. We both have combat experience and served active duty infantry before moving on to our current assignments. We talk every couple of days and we both agree that the branch doesn't mean ****. Infantry is infantry either way. All this talk about basic training is useless. Anyone who has ever done anything in the military can tell you that it is what you do AFTER basic that matters. Marines will tell you that the Marine Corps is better and soldiers will tell you that the Army is better. Go with the better contract. The Army still offers bonuses, schools, and a shorter enlistment opportunity. These are great incentives. What the Marine Corps offers is shorter deployments and the pride of being a Marine. These can be very important considerations as well. If you do your homework, you will find that one branch will offer more of what you're looking for than the other. It sounds like you're looking to be the biggest badass possible. Whatever you choose, by the time you get through your training, you are gonna feel like the biggest badass in the world.

Quick Reply: Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info