Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info

OK i posted a few mothes ago about ranger contracts ect, so im gunna sign up in sep/oct-ish. Anyway, the army has infantry, airborne and rangers...What does the Marine Corps have? is there a smaller more elite group like the rangers? and what are the main diffrences in the marine and army infantry?? I would love to go to the Marines but i want to be airborne aswell..
Thanks
Matt

Last edited by '02SOMz28; 04-09-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

ok first off you can go airborne in the marines i would go recon if you want high speed low drag type stuff i would get a 0300 contract for the marines we hold a higher stander then the army when it comes to the infantry.

also read up on some history on the army and usmc

talk to guys who have deployed before on both sides and make your choice
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racerfox
ok first off you can go airborne in the marines i would go recon if you want high speed low drag type stuff i would get a 0300 contract for the marines we hold a higher stander then the army when it comes to the infantry.

also read up on some history on the army and usmc

talk to guys who have deployed before on both sides and make your choice
good idea i have a few friends in the 82nd, but they wont say a lot about it, and im looking for a infantry marine that has come back from deployment.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Either way you get paid the same as a cook. I'd pick the one that offers the shortest enlistment. Your command has the biggest effect on your day to day life so even in the same unit people can have very different experiences.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Teching In

I work with three ex Ranger's that are now pilots and they said that if they hadnt gotten a flight slot they would have stayed as Rangers. They were also pathfinders which means the did search and rescue style stuff as well as work under socom, my father was a pathfinder and its a good way to go if you want to be and advanced army infanrtymen, as far as marines, im located on a marine fob in iraq and there recon quick reaction force that was jsut here were some pretty cool dudes, had some real highspeed equipment and in my opinion some better weapons then just a plain M-4, all those dudes were trained as either a sniper or a sniper spotter, and they all had scout training so either side has good options but like acerx said, get a short term enlistment and get your feet wet then go from there, the guys you work with dictate day to day life and mission style and cohesiveness in your unit.

Last edited by MickT/AWS6; 03-02-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
good idea i have a few friends in the 82nd, but they wont say a lot about it, and im looking for a infantry marine that has come back from deployment.

that's because the majority of dudes hate the 82nd.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by acertx
Either way you get paid the same as a cook. I'd pick the one that offers the shortest enlistment. Your command has the biggest effect on your day to day life so even in the same unit people can have very different experiences.
Originally Posted by MickT/AWS6
I work with three ex Ranger's that are now pilots and they said that if they hadnt gotten a flight slot they would have stayed as Rangers. They were also pathfinders which means the did search and rescue style stuff as well as work under socom, my father was a pathfinder and its a good way to go if you want to be and advanced army infanrtymen, as far as marines, im located on a marine fob in iraq and there recon quick reaction force that was jsut here were some pretty cool dudes, had some real highspeed equipment and in my opinion some better weapons then just a plain M-4, all those dudes were trained as either a sniper or a sniper spotter, and they all had scout training so either side has good options but like acerx said, get a short term enlistment and get your feet wet then go from there, the guys you work with dictate day to day life and mission style and cohesiveness in your unit.
That's the best advice I can give anyone looking to go in the military. The people you work with have a direct impact on how you'll view your unit. It can have a direct impact on individual morale and unit cohesiveness.

Do a short initial enlistment and re-enlist if that's what you want to do. Trust me...if you choose a longer initial enlistment and regret it, you WILL rememeber having this "conversation."
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnlv6
That's the best advice I can give anyone looking to go in the military. The people you work with have a direct impact on how you'll view your unit. It can have a direct impact on individual morale and unit cohesiveness.

Do a short initial enlistment and re-enlist if that's what you want to do. Trust me...if you choose a longer initial enlistment and regret it, you WILL rememeber having this "conversation."
what mos can you sign for a shorter term? i was planning on 4 years.....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
what mos can you sign for a shorter term? i was planning on 4 years.....
Four years may be the shortest. That is pretty much a standard enlistment length. Ask a recruiter flat out what the enlistment length options are. I've been out of the military (Air Force) for a couple years now. When I was in, they (Army and Air Force) had two year enlistment options for some MOS's.

My brother signed to go in the Army as an officer this summer. His total length of active service will be three years (plus five IRR). If they allow officers to serve that short of a term, I would think they would do that for enlisted. Just my $.02 though...
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

The Army still has 3 I believe. 11b basic/ait is short. If you get a RIP contract it will be a lot longer. Especially if you get stuck in airborne hold. I knew a few guys who were there so long they dropped their contract and went needs of the Army. Try to pick your duty station if you can too.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Teching In

as an 11b you can get a 2yr but going airborne is iffy. i would go shorter and reenlist if you like it. 82nd isnt that great once you get there so remember that if you get a airborne contract.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok thanks!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have been in bolth branches and am currently a ranger with the 3rd ranger battilion in GA and it is all of what you make of it personly i like doing what i do now but like every one said it is all about how every one in your unit is where you will like it or not
Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Teching In

It depends how motivated you are. Go to www.armystudyguide.com and start studing all the subjects on that site.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I heard 2/6 or 3/5 (active/IRR). Might only be reserve options, but hell with such short term contracts, you are damn near guaranteed to deploy.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Teching In

LOL You're going to deploy no matter what. And joining the Infantry or any Combat Arms job not wanting to deploy is beyond retarded. Also expect to deploy within a year of going to basic no matter what job you pick. Oh and if you only do 2 active I'd suggest looking at the national guard or reserves to cut down on your IRR time & not get called back right away to deploy if you get out.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dan-01-TA
as an 11b you can get a 2yr but going airborne is iffy. i would go shorter and reenlist if you like it. 82nd isnt that great once you get there so remember that if you get a airborne contract.
I've spent 14 years in the 82nd and everyone bitches about it when they're there, but when they go to a leg or mech unit all they can talk about is getting back to Bragg. I'm about to retire but currently in a leg light infantry unit here at Bliss that we activated last summer, most of the NCO's and officers are from mech and leg land and I've never seen so many undisciplined shitbag pussies in my life. The guys that come from Korea are horrendous. As far as the marines, I personally don't like their tactics, promotions are slow and their equipment isn't as good. I've known more guys who went from the marines to the army than I'll ever remember, but don't recall one person who went the other way.

Last edited by 325trooper; 03-07-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
you are damn near guaranteed to deploy.
Actually probably not unless you're in an XVIII Airborne Corps unit, or whatever marine units are going to Afghanistan.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Marine Corps Infantry, What exactly are you wanting to know?

For your questions in regards to what 'levels' there are...

03XX - Your basic Marine Infantry, which is anything but 'basic'. Not a damn thing wrong with being a run of the mill Grunt. There's plenty in the community who could move up to Recon or Marsoc and simply choose not to due to loving what they do already.

STA - Surveillance and Target Acquisition - Sniper platoons. They are part of the 'basic infantry' still, but figured I'd throw it out there since there is a unique set of qualifications required by each battalion.

Reconnaissance - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Recon Battalions. These are some tough guys with some serious mental and physical toughness. Not just anyone can go in, the only thing a recruiter can gaurantee you is the ability to take the endoc (the test, basically), Recon will decide whether or not they want to take you after that.

MARSOC - Marine Special Operations command. Technically not even a Marine Corps Command, you fall under Special Ops Command. These guys are the best of the best, Triathlon level athletes. You'll go through various screenings once you make it to the fleet (if your unit allows you), once you go through the screenings and are found fit to go to A&S you'll go to assessment and selection which is 5 weeks if I'm not mistaken. Make it through the 5 weeks and you still aren't guaranteed a spot, you are selected based on your performance. After that you have to go through 6 months of school on becoming an operator.

If you're interested in Jumping out of planes... Recon will probably get you jump qualled, as will MARSOC... That's about it though. I realize you may think that jumping out of planes is fun, but it's a very outdated form of insertion... so fun is really all it offers.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
I'm Marine Corps Infantry, What exactly are you wanting to know?

For your questions in regards to what 'levels' there are...

03XX - Your basic Marine Infantry, which is anything but 'basic'. Not a damn thing wrong with being a run of the mill Grunt. There's plenty in the community who could move up to Recon or Marsoc and simply choose not to due to loving what they do already.

STA - Surveillance and Target Acquisition - Sniper platoons. They are part of the 'basic infantry' still, but figured I'd throw it out there since there is a unique set of qualifications required by each battalion.

Reconnaissance - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Recon Battalions. These are some tough guys with some serious mental and physical toughness. Not just anyone can go in, the only thing a recruiter can gaurantee you is the ability to take the endoc (the test, basically), Recon will decide whether or not they want to take you after that.

MARSOC - Marine Special Operations command. Technically not even a Marine Corps Command, you fall under Special Ops Command. These guys are the best of the best, Triathlon level athletes. You'll go through various screenings once you make it to the fleet (if your unit allows you), once you go through the screenings and are found fit to go to A&S you'll go to assessment and selection which is 5 weeks if I'm not mistaken. Make it through the 5 weeks and you still aren't guaranteed a spot, you are selected based on your performance. After that you have to go through 6 months of school on becoming an operator.

If you're interested in Jumping out of planes... Recon will probably get you jump qualled, as will MARSOC... That's about it though. I realize you may think that jumping out of planes is fun, but it's a very outdated form of insertion... so fun is really all it offers.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info