Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Doctor says live with the pain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Doctor says live with the pain...

So I am separating from the Air Force soon (Saturday) is my DOS.

I have had lingering back pain from a sports injury that occurred while I was in the desert. It's bothered me off and on and I've seen the chiropractor but all he does is crack my back. I've seen him probably 5+ times throughout this time.

So I go to see the doctor to get it documented today. He does nothing for me and says that I should just learn to live with the pain and he can't help me or document that this occurred while active duty.

I'm only an E-4 and I'm not sure what I should do. Does anyone have any advice? Please PM me if you want and I'll give you my number or we can email. I don't care.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do NOT ignore it.

Go up the chain of command in the clinic and complain that the DR simply ignored you. It will get their attention really fast.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where should I make first contact?

Patient advocate?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup. If he is ignoring your complaints then there is something wrong. Telling ANY patient to just live with pain that shouldnt be there is just plain wrong not to mention it might be illegal.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't have waited so long to see the doc after this first happened. You should have noted the injury on the post deployment health questionnaire

Get it documented before you get out.

If it is not on your med records the VA can't do anything about it
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Teching In

I'd also talk to the VA rep and explain your situation. Also take a hard copy of your medical records with you and ask about quick start. They probably will be able to help you out since your back pain should be in the records.

I'm no Doctor but you need an MRI if you haven't had one, which I highly doubt you've had one.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
You shouldn't have waited so long to see the doc after this first happened. You should have noted the injury on the post deployment health questionnaire

Get it documented before you get out.

If it is not on your med records the VA can't do anything about it
It didn't bother me at first, just a bit sore, I left a month later and I honestly don't remember the health assessment, if there was even one, all i know is that the pain didn't register till later.

Originally Posted by acertx
I'd also talk to the VA rep and explain your situation. Also take a hard copy of your medical records with you and ask about quick start. They probably will be able to help you out since your back pain should be in the records.

I'm no Doctor but you need an MRI if you haven't had one, which I highly doubt you've had one.
Exactly, I was hoping for an MRI as well, nothing..."live with it."
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I can even do "quick start"

3. "Submit service treatment records"

All I did was go to the chiropractor and when I tried to get it documented yesterday they turned me away. They won't give you copies of medical records as far as I know. They send em to AFPC, I could be wrong. I should go in there today and see someone about it.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I don't think I can even do "quick start"

3. "Submit service treatment records"

All I did was go to the chiropractor and when I tried to get it documented yesterday they turned me away. They won't give you copies of medical records as far as I know. They send em to AFPC, I could be wrong. I should go in there today and see someone about it.
I just out processed in January and seperated on April 5th(6 year enlistment). I had 73 days of terminal leave

Go to the Tri Care office and tell them you want a copy of your medical records. Have them send'em to your address where you will be living when you get out. Tell them you want a copy also sent to the VA in your home state.

When I processed out of SJAFB I went to a briefing at the clinic and I filled out paperwork stating the above. They ended up sending me both copies and I took one of them to the VA and got my claim started. The VA here is Ohio that I went to said she needed my 214 before she could submit the claim but she had started the paperwork when I was at the appointment.

Shoot me a PM if you want my number
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont expect an MRI for your first complaint. You dont order an expensive test first.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Dont expect an MRI for your first complaint. You dont order an expensive test first.
If the OP has gone multiple times and keeps going back for the same thing, I'm going to guess that what they're doing isn't working.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by acertx
If the OP has gone multiple times and keeps going back for the same thing, I'm going to guess that what they're doing isn't working.
A chiro will NOT order an MRI for back pain. It just wont happen. That is who he has visited for most of the visits. His most recent visit was with a Dr. who blew him off.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

A chiro will NOT order an MRI for back pain. It just wont happen. That is who he has visited for most of the visits. His most recent visit was with a Dr. who blew him off.
I have 6 chiropractors in my family so I beg to differ, they will order an MRI for back pain that just doesnt go away after treatments.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
I have 6 chiropractors in my family so I beg to differ, they will order an MRI for back pain that just doesnt go away after treatments.
Do any of them work in the Armed Services?

Look, Ive been through hell and back in the medical services and they could care less about you 99% of the time. They have a protocol to follow and after 5 visits a chiro will not order a MRI. Hell, I went to a chiro for 5 MONTHS (3 visits a week) before I had an ortho order an MRI that showed I had 2 circumferential bulging discs and nerve involvement.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Do any of them work in the Armed Services?

Look, Ive been through hell and back in the medical services and they could care less about you 99% of the time. They have a protocol to follow and after 5 visits a chiro will not order a MRI. Hell, I went to a chiro for 5 MONTHS (3 visits a week) before I had an ortho order an MRI that showed I had 2 circumferential bulging discs and nerve involvement.
It took me 7 months to get a MRI, I get your point but the guy still needs an MRI. Obviously getting out in 2 days he's not going to get one from the AF but that would be something to definitely go to the VA and explain right away. I know if it was me I would want it documented as service related.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, somewhat of good news. I want to thank z28/2002 for the advice over the phone.

I went into the hospital and went to Tricare office, they referred me to medical management who helped me out tremendously with some advice. He printed off everything a doctor logs at each visit (evidence for me) showing what I came in for. I then explained I still haven't gotten my medical records for when I outprocessed. They then informed me one of the secretaries screwed that up and gave me false information.

The secretary told me that they go directly to AFPC and I couldn't receive a copy. Medical Management took me to records and they were dumbfounded at that too, they had me fill out a comment card and gave me copies of my medical records too.

Then Medical Management told me I need to see the VA rep on base to start a disability claim, get help with back, and asked me about my TAPS briefing. The briefings were so full I never got called in (I was on the list) so I never got my TAPS briefing. I go over to Family Readiness Center and they say sorry, you're screwed...I talked to VA rep and he says he can't help since I can't get on base and he's booked till July. He said contact the rep in Douglas county down at the VA hospital.

Gonna do that tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

This is one of the few forums where people will have your back, good luck with everything man!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Tim

Glad to see you are getting things taken care of.

The TAPS briefing is Congressionally Mandated and they HAVE to give it to you before you finish out processing, you have to turn in DD Form 2648 to MPF when you turn in your out processing checklist. It sounds like Offutt needs to get their **** together.

You got my number and if you have any more questions just call

Last edited by Z28/2002; 04-29-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great help from all here.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Wow what Bull ****.

I told the Air Force something was wrong with my back about 3-4 months before I got out. The Doctors said just about the same thing. I blew it off.

Duing the VA assessment, I went for X-Rays and they said we don't know what it is, but something is not right..

So, for your VA breifing you need to put down something is wrong with your back. They then should do X-Rays or an MRI. Which will be service connected if something is found down the road.

So, after about 2-3 years at the age of 29, I was unable to perform yard work, run and walk for long distances. I tell a VA doctor there is something wrong with my back.

He says "it is in my head"

I tell the VA I need to change locations becuase the one I am currently going to is too far. They move my current location, and Doctors. Come to find out, after an MRI, I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back.

Bottom line is, stay on top of this.

I wish you guys in PA had something like the Texas Veterans Commission, they help you deal with the VA....

Quick Reply: Doctor says live with the pain...