Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Street racing citation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street racing citation

Just got a ticket for speed competition in NC. Anyone have experience? Should o get a jag lawyer?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What was the situation? Gotta know the story before we give advice. I've only gotten one ticket when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Doing 67 in a 45, and he clocked me slowing down Damn F-Bodys, always wanting to race!!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Was at a stoplight, buddy took off in his mustang pretty hard so I followed suit. Don't think I broke the speed limit but lights showed up behind me and now I've got a citation for speed competition with a silver mustang. I've never been in trouble, driving record is clean but I think I'm going to need a lawyer to fight this one
Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Launching!

JAG will not help you, if it was a military offense maybe. we have a guy in japan who got in a wreak off base JAG will not help him, he has to pay a huge retainer for a civilian lawyer and its up to the wing king on if he wants to fork over the 20-30k for legal fees. so if its UCMJ related sure but since its not dont even bother.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gunrock_T/A_0811
Just got a ticket for speed competition in NC. Anyone have experience? Should o get a jag lawyer?
Be a man , do the crime do the time. If you can beat the ticket without calling your integrity into question then fight it.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

yah guess your right, my cars loud though so i can barely be on it and get pulled over. the mustang didnt go hard and i really didnt either but i guess it sounded like we did so thats why he pulled us over. ill just get a good lawyer and fight it, if I lose my license itll only be for two or three months that i cant drive cuz im going to afghanistan.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

So this is a speeding ticket? I would say it was the other guy (mustang owner) so why did I get the ticket as my defense...
Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

I remember when I first bought a mustang and got 3 tickets in a month.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

yeah i had a similar thing happen a few years back... I never broke the speed limit but rear did break loose.(rained and ground was still a little wet)

guy in a stock vette jumped off the line at a stop light and i gave it a little gas felt rear break loose and let off. had just finished putting on the new exhaust system so my car was pretty loud. cop pulled me over about half a block down the road and got all pissy with me about "why you trying to race blah blah blah" I admitted to the rear end breaking loose but then got off it... I tried to explain the ground was still wet ( as he was standing in a puddle) but he didnt want to hear any off it.... neither did the judge...payed the fine and went along my way...

cop never even showed up to court but the traffic cam caught me breaking loose and that was the end off it
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

I got one of those in New bern, NC last year...I ended up doin 36 hours community service and it got dropped! I also avoided NJP Just had to write an 1000 word essay to my SgtMaj about illegal street racing. Goodluck man hope u get it worked out...
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Being in the military(Guard), a Police Officer, a sports car fan and former NC resident, I'll off this advice. If your record is clean, NC has a first offender thing. I'm not sure if it applies to street racing, but I know it works with speeding tickets so it could be an option. Consulting a lawyer would be the smartest option. The best way to explain the first offender thing is it's kinda a "Gimme." An "I made a mistake and I won't do it again." kind of thing. If you get another ticket in X amount of time the old one will re-surface and the new one will be harder to deal with.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Is it under this....N.C.G.S. 20-141.3?

You're a Private aren't you?

I'm guessing you weren't fined, only issued a mandatory court appearance. You and the officer will both testify in the courtroom in front of a judge.

BTW, JAG lawyers do not represent you when you break the law off the installation. Jag lawyers will simply offer you legal advice, represent, or prosecute in a Military Court Martial. Their legal advice will be to get a lawyer so I just saved you the trip. You wouldn't want a JAG lawyer anyway even if you could get one.

Get a lawyer, a civilian one, maybe they will convince the DA to offer you a lesser charge, but they probably have you on video and you're not telling us the whole story.

Possibly up to 120 days in jail and loss of vehicle by impounding and auctioning is the maximum penalty for street racing. Not to mention a 340% spike in insurance over 3 years if you can even get insurance with 12 pts. on your license. Depending on your age, your driving privelages could be revoked.

NC doesn't play.

Last edited by joblo1978; 05-31-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roy
Be a man , do the crime do the time. If you can beat the ticket without calling your integrity into question then fight it.
haha wow your too moto!

Just get a Lawyer and fight it to the max its your word vs. theres!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrock_T/A_0811
have you ever stopped at the BP on Western/24 with your car? I don't think any of us know you
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

You are facing a huge wall.. You got caught, and depending on the judge the penalty could be harsh.. and as we all know the army is a firm believer of double jeopardy.. so they will hammer your *** too..

jag won't be much help..
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default handjob

Just say the cop asked you to give him a handjob and when you didn't comply with the reach around he said OH YOULLL PAY YOULLL PAY!... if the other car didnt get a ticket then your good to go!

Quick Reply: Street racing citation