Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Just turned 18 and i got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They rejected me from the Air Force because I was givin' a ticket for parofonelia(pardon spelling).. I even had to write this letter to a general telling him about it and how I had learned from my leasons...

Kinda shitty cause I just had some orange Zig-Zags and had no clue that if I didn't have any tobaco they just insisted I was using them for pot.(which I was)
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
They will find out about it when they get all you civilian medical records
They dont obtain any medical records. Unless you bring something up that can prevent you from enlisting, then they will ask for medical records. It would be almost impossible to get all your medical records from day 1 to present. What you dont tell them, they wont know. All they look up is if your a sex offender, your (criminal) record.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

If you have any kind of scar's it is going to be hard to hide because they will ask about it. My girlfriend just left for basic training yesterday(she's in the national guard as a reserve), and we were talking about it, and how I'd probably get rejected due to my elbow being shattered and having a 6 inch titanium plate and 6 screws in it. But it wouldn't hurt to try, the worst thing they can due is tell you no.

Although i know they have a ton of waivers these days, but it also depends on how bad they need people.

Last edited by Hellbentz; 07-07-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Be careful with not telling them everything. Had a buddy join and had a fractured knee before, he didnt tell anyone and he ended up tearing it apart in boot camp. They realized that it had been hurt before and he got an honorable discharge
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaroMan
Be careful with not telling them everything. Had a buddy join and had a fractured knee before, he didnt tell anyone and he ended up tearing it apart in boot camp. They realized that it had been hurt before and he got an honorable discharge
That shouldn't be an honorable discharge. I think its called a Medical Discharge which is different.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

technically anything within 180 days of enlistment is a "seperation" and/or uncharacterized discharge.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

yeah it will never hurt to atleast try, but i do have some scars from it. one which is like 10 inches long and a couple smaller ones, so i doubt they will accept me but who knows anything can happen.

im just kind of nervous, i mean i doubt i would get into trouble for lying but im defiantly trying to stay away from it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ls1_Power25
yeah it will never hurt to atleast try, but i do have some scars from it. one which is like 10 inches long and a couple smaller ones, so i doubt they will accept me but who knows anything can happen.

im just kind of nervous, i mean i doubt i would get into trouble for lying but im defiantly trying to stay away from it.
If you do make it to MEPS, they are gonna try and scare all of you into telling them things you didn't tell your recruiter. They say you get jail time and fines and they make it sounds pretty bad. My recruiter told me it was all bs.
As long as you keep your cool you're good.

The recruiter will ask you if you have scars and they're gonna be pissed if they find out from MEPS that you were DQ'd for information that you didn't provide to the recruiter. After all, they did do all the paper work to get you there. My advice to you is to be 100% open about it to your recruiter and if he/she says to not mention it at MEPS then just do that. A 10 inch scar is kind of a red flag to the military though.

I broke my collar bone when I was 10 but I didn't have a bump or anything so you couldn't tell. Recruiter told me not to say anything about it and went all the way to MEPS but I got DQ'd for something totally different.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

My advice to you is to be 100% open about it to your recruiter

I agree with this. However, keep in mind that a recruiter has "numbers" to meet. You need to be 100% honest about everything (everytime), reguardless what your recruiter says. You never know...You could be in for a couple of years, and if any complications come up from your previous medical history, then you would be screwed. And I can promise you that the recruiter will not be in your corner if it comes down to it. Call a recruiter and tell them everything. Good luck
Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be better answered in our military section.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

You need to be honest about your medical history, because they will find out, and it can very well end up hurting you in the long run. As far as the drug history though, nope, never did it.... They say it doesn't matter and its BS. I had a friend get turned down for a PRP assignment because she admitted to smoking pot on her application 12 years ago... Ended up getting it, but not after a bunch of hassle.

You're right though, the AF specifically doesn't need people, the other services though, may get waivered. Even the AF may waiver it. It comes down to if they think you'll be a financial risk to them in the future... Good luck w/ your decision, I highly recommend joining.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Be honest with the recruiter. If you are otherwise qualified, they will try and get you in. As recruiters we are technically not allowed to disqualify someone in our office for medical reasons. Even if someone comes in with 1 arm...we will tell them they aren't going to get in because of it, but technically we are supposed to send every person who is otherwise qualified (police history, education, citizenship, etc) to do a physical. Obviously if someone comes in with 1 arm or something crazy we won't send him for a phys, but according to our manual, we are supposed to.

We have a medical manual that we can look it that has 'generally not waiverable conditions' that we can look up. However, it boils down to your med docs and what the MEPS doctor says.

Go talk with a recruiter, tell him your story, and see what he can do. If you were in the Tampa area I would sit down and go over all your stuff and take care of you...but its a long drive from Kansas to Tampa to potentially still be DQ'd.

Quick Reply: Just turned 18 and i got some questions...