Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Just turned 18 and i got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just turned 18 and i got some questions...

well i just turned 18 on july 6th and i have been thinking about joining the military, but when i was 6 years old i had open heart surgery and had a new (pigs) valve put in, and i was wondering if you guys think they would still accept me i mean i can still run and am still active and am in pretty good shape. im am just worried they wont let me join because of my condition. i would love to serve my country!!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will get a lot more input on this subject in the Military Section. If I was you I'd get in touch with a recruiter and get some answers to your questions. I do know that there are disqualifying factors when it comes to MEPS, but as far as what they are, I don't know all of them.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

now a days it's actually harder and harder to get accepted into the military... they just don't take "anyone" now. I would walk into an office and ultimately they can give you the best answer and also help you decide how "serious" you are about joining the military.

go in there prepared to answer generic questions about yourself and all of past experiences with anything
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a lot like getting a job. I almost joined the army, but I was DQ'd at MEPS. Everything happens for a reason though; I got into the Police Academy instead.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Yeah, it's a lot like getting a job. I almost joined the army, but I was DQ'd at MEPS. Everything happens for a reason though; I got into the Police Academy instead.
alright thanks guys for the input, i also believe everything happens for a reason. i dont know if you have heard of SAMS (school of automotive machinist) but i was thinking about going to that school too, it seems like a pretty cool school. but good luck being a police officer, my dad was one but now is a captain in the highway patrol, pretty much been in every law enforcement thing you can be in

Last edited by Ls1_Power25; 07-06-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Teching In

and be safe man, a lot of crazy dumbasses out there now a days
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Same exact thing happened to me. I got DQ'd because of an allergic reaction i had when i was two, and that meant i couldn't get into any branch, now I'm going to the police academy this fall.

Originally Posted by Ls1_Power25
alright thanks guys for the input, i also believe everything happens for a reason. i dont know if you have heard of SAMS (school of automotive machinist) but i was thinking about going to that school too, it seems like a pretty cool school. but good luck being a police officer, my dad was one but now is a captain in the highway patrol, pretty much been in every law enforcement thing you can be in
Just for your surgery they may say no because they're cutting back and being very strict on who they let in. And state patrol is what i eventually would like to do but it takes forever to even try and get in. Good luck though, hope for the best but expect the worst. Least you have a plan B.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that if the medical condition isn't an issue, that you kick *** on your ASVAB. As stated due to the rough economy recruitment is up, they have their pick at the moment!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Same exact thing happened to me. I got DQ'd because of an allergic reaction i had when i was two, and that meant i couldn't get into any branch, now I'm going to the police academy this fall.
That's great, man. (Police Academy) Congrats.

Are you backed by an agency or are you going in solo? With the way things are right now, I would expect the big cities would be the only ones that are hiring.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cfallsguy

Just for your surgery they may say no because they're cutting back and being very strict on who they let in. And state patrol is what i eventually would like to do but it takes forever to even try and get in. Good luck though, hope for the best but expect the worst. Least you have a plan B.
wow really? just for an allergic reaction?? im sorry to hear that man, but yeah i always try to hope for the best and expect the worse, but yeah keep trying youll get in man.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Make sure that if the medical condition isn't an issue, that you kick *** on your ASVAB. As stated due to the rough economy recruitment is up, they have their pick at the moment!
this may be a dumb question but what is ASVAB?? (sorry for my lack of knowledge)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASVAB is a military test giving to all prospects before joining to see if you have enough intelligence to join the military and what jobs you would be best suited for, i.e. mechanical, electrical, medical, or office worker.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this may be a dumb question but what is ASVAB?? (sorry for my lack of knowledge)
I forget what it stands for exactly, but it is the preliminary test that you have to take to join the military. Make sure you do good on it. They use that to asses how "smart" you are and will be the deciding factor regarding what job you will do during your time in the military. Obviously, a higher score can equal a qualification for a more cushiony job. You still get paid the same, though.

EDIT: On second thought, "cushiony" isn't the word to use. I should say that a higher score will give you more options on what job the military will let you do during your service.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i just turned 18 on july 6th and i have been thinking about joining the military, but when i was 6 years old i had open heart surgery and had a new (pigs) valve put in, and i was wondering if you guys think they would still accept me i mean i can still run and am still active and am in pretty good shape. im am just worried they wont let me join because of my condition. i would love to serve my country!!
I don't think they will because you having open heart surgery presents a huge liability to the military. Do you have any conditions stemming from your surgery; anything you're discouraged or prohibited from doing? You should ask a recruiter and be prepared to answer those questions.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

If you get in study ASVAB (Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Test) materials so that you can have your choice of a possibly better job and they look for people with the highest scores, especially now. It's just like the ACT/SAT but the more you learn the better.
And with my allergy I likely didn't outgrow it and that'll prevent me from ever getting in. Thats ok though and am following my backup plan.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

oh i see, well the way it sounds they probably wont let me in because the doctor wouldnt sign off to let me play sports at my school except baseball, but i couldnt play basketball and football which is bullshit in my opinion because i always played with my friends and i can easily keep up with all of them, but i guess it was most likely for liability issues. oh well ill try and see but if i cant then ill just go with my plan B
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It never hurts to go to a recruiter and ask. Many things are waiverable in the military.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1camaro95
It never hurts to go to a recruiter and ask. Many things are waiverable in the military.
yeah i think thats what im going to do, never hurts to try
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

If you really want in, it's pretty simple. Just don't tell them ****. Not the smartest idea but it would work as long as nothing bothers you now. Start running 3+ miles and see if anything happens. I personally don't think they will let you in with something that severe. But hey, I could be wrong.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
If you really want in, it's pretty simple. Just don't tell them ****. Not the smartest idea but it would work as long as nothing bothers you now. Start running 3+ miles and see if anything happens. I personally don't think they will let you in with something that severe. But hey, I could be wrong.
haha yeah i could always try that but yeah nothing is bothering me right now so i dont know.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will find out about it when they get all you civilian medical records

Quick Reply: Just turned 18 and i got some questions...