Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Veteran Status doesn't seem to mean squat anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Veteran Status doesn't seem to mean squat anymore.

I've been out for about 2 years now and it really seems that when you mention you're a Veteran, people seem to attribute that to the status of a pick up truck owner. it really doesn't seem to mean **** anymore.

Rather disheartening. But I guess it also depends on what neck of the woods you are in. My aunt tells me that Maine takes good care of their Vets and they have a strong support for them.

But even when I just talk casually with people and if we get on the subject I will mention it, but I don't go out of my way or brag about it..... Which leads me to another point. If I hear one more person give me that "Oh........ you wouldn't know then." type of response, or are taken aback when they hear I wasn't a Marine or a Soldier when I mention I was USAF for six years I will seriously let them have it. Just knowing that my brothers in arms have been over there getting blown to ****, getting messed with and even just being in a dangerous position weighs heavy on me. It bothers me that my hands were almost tied and that I couldn't do much to help them. My parents tell me that I did plenty, but all I did was build a section of Baghram Afghan. I have a hard time watching any MIL movies now. I used to LOVE them, but now it just bothers me. I can't explain it... I was a Heavy Equipment Engineer that worked frequently with the Army and not to mention 10th Mountain when I was in Afghanistan. We were out for eight months. And even after a week home I was tired of it and wanted to go back..

But anyway.. To those vets out there, most of this country just doesn't seem to give a **** anymore. Even my trainer for CDL class doesn't seem to know what I meant when he would ask me to drive a certain amount of time, or "well you realise you will have to do *this* during the job" or whatnot... I kept telling him that whatever it is for work, I will DO it.. No questions asked. You need the truck swept out, I'll do it. No problem. and I'll do it right now. I had to explain to him what bearing was. I'm kind of over not being in the MIL anymore, but I'm still just as regimented as I was when I was in. I'm not done with it *up here* (in my mind) and most Civilians don't get that..

It's a crying shame what this country has become... it really is..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 08-31-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kind of lost on what you want out of this post. It almost seems like you want people to understand how important you are because you were in the military. I don't go around broadcasting to people that I was in the military and I don't expect anything when people do find out. With that being said, it always does come up eventually (most ask why I started school so late) and when it does people always tell me they appreciate my service.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We definately appreciate your service.

But i also appreciate the service of school teachers, doctors, community activists, etc. I dont go out of my way to thank them either, and they dont do it because they want the praise. They do it because they are passionate about it.

I'm not in the armed forces, but everyone who is these days, made a choice. I'm not trying to be rude, but what did you expect?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol lighten up dude. i am a marine and i try my hardest to not to get fingered by anybody in public. i hate it when ppl try to kiss your *** just because you have served. it's just a ******* job. i'm a regular dude just like anybody else and i couldn't give a **** less if you have a yellow ribbon on your car.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
lol lighten up dude. i am a marine and i try my hardest to not to get fingered by anybody in public. i hate it when ppl try to kiss your *** just because you have served. it's just a ******* job. i'm a regular dude just like anybody else and i couldn't give a **** less if you have a yellow ribbon on your car.
This.

I hate wearing my uniform away from post. Sometimes I drive straight home to Houston after getting off on a friday, and it is slightly annoying to have people staring at you all the time.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

^ And yes, I drive a slow truck too.. haha.. (semi)

I really don't like having my *** kissed either, but I just seems more or less that this coutry has lost it's support for what is going on.. Granted we are spending a butt load of money over there, but I won't get into that.

I have honestly thought about being a teacher for Auto Tech, but I don't think I could put up with the kids, I just love explaining basic engine theory. And yes, you don't do it to get rich, you do it because you love to.

I'm not sure what I wanted out of this post.. I have just been wanting to get that off my chest for a while. And I don't broadcast it, but I guess I'm just proud of my service. I never really wanted to get out and it has taken me a while to get over it.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Good thing you didnt sign up expecting to be thanked then, huh?

It is more than a job, but in the short end of it it IS a job/career. I will show respect to those who have served, because I know (halfway) what they have put up with, but will I go out of my way to say 'Thank You', no, because they are not going to do that for me in my line of work. Dont take this post the wrong way, because I really do respect the military, the people in it, and my country. I proudly wear my 'Honor and RESPECT our TROOPS' hat every day, and tried 3 seperate times when I was 17 to join the Army, that was 6 years ago. My dad is active duty in the Air Force right now, 21+ years enlisted and has 3 more until retirement.

Just dont expect it, this is the country we live in. If someone does thank you/understand you, take it for what it is worth and move on.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I joined the Marine Corps for two reasons.

1) Because I love my Country.
2) Because I wanted to be a part of the baddest mother f^&*ers in the world.

I never expected to gain any respect from others from it, but I did expect to gain pride (which I did). You have to realize, a lot of people in this world don't give 2 ***** about you or what you've done, but only care about themselves. Just think of it like this...You decided to do something that a lot of people can't do, or are unwilling to do. That in itself says a lot, and you shouldn't need anyone to remind you that you did something great.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ Exactly.. Kevin and Spec hit it on the nose. I joined because I needed a job at the time. The MIL cleaned me up and straightened me out real good and I just grew to take pride in the uniform that I wore. Granted we all have our bad days too. I tried on three separate occasions to join Honor Guard and twice my shop leads told me flat out "No".. But we got a fresh SSgt at the time who had done it before and he got to join before he even got started at the shop. It was just something I could do to show my pride in service and to serve others when I could.

SPEC: My cousin tried getting in a couple years ago but hit a couple snags with enlistment. You being a MIL dependent, you get a better understanding of the life than some civilians. It's not just a job after a while, it's a lifestyle. It consumes you.

Anyway.. I would really like to do some volunteer work for the USO. Some appreciate it, some don't, but it's the people that DO appreciate your help makes it all worth it.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-01-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinR
I joined the Marine Corps for two reasons.

1) Because I love my Country.
2) Because I wanted to be a part of the baddest mother f^&*ers in the world.

I never expected to gain any respect from others from it, but I did expect to gain pride (which I did). You have to realize, a lot of people in this world don't give 2 ***** about you or what you've done, but only care about themselves. Just think of it like this...You decided to do something that a lot of people can't do, or are unwilling to do. That in itself says a lot, and you shouldn't need anyone to remind you that you did something great.

Cheers
I would have to say that is right on the money there!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

I don't expect people to thank me for what I do...in fact...i actually can't stand it when someone thanks me for their freedom. i didn't fight for their freedom....i fought for the Iraqis freedom....what i mean is both my deployments to iraq had nothing to do with American freedom....so why would you thank me for it. But i do serve in a position that deserves both honor and respect from any American who has never served. A teacher doesn't put their life on the line everyday. A doctor doesn't spend a year away from his family in a combat zone. To me i think it's more about the sacrifices i've made. I don't know too many soldiers that like to "advertise" their service, i don't....but if i mention it for whatever reason i should be given the honor and respect i deserve for what i do.

I undertsand it's a job, just like any other...in fact i tell people that all the time. But it's still a tough job.

and also to the OP, you also have to understand that nowadays most people have either 1. been in the service and deployed themselves or 2. know atleast 1 person who has.
so the avererage person is somewhat "desensitized" to the whole thing. Back in like '03-'04 it was different, there was a lot of momentum as far as support for the troops...but now...after so many years, so many casualties, so much money spent.....people just don't care as much anymore.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by deelong4002
We definately appreciate your service.

But i also appreciate the service of school teachers, doctors, community activists, etc. I dont go out of my way to thank them either, and they dont do it because they want the praise. They do it because they are passionate about it.

I'm not in the armed forces, but everyone who is these days, made a choice. I'm not trying to be rude, but what did you expect?

Are you seriously trying to compare the sacrifices of a civil servant to a G.I.? A doctor nor a teacher nor a community activist guarantee "you" your freedom my friend! You need to really recalibrate your ideals!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Teching In

depends on what you do.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone who expects to be treated differently just because they served, served for the wrong reasons. I spent 21 years in the Army, big ******* deal. I got paid and I loved every minute of it. I do not expect any special treatment, special thanks or anything else. If I get it a thank you of course I appreciate it but I don't need it to live my life. I am proud that I served but I do not deserve anything extra because of it. The only service members that deserve any special treatment are buried in our cemeteries or they have injuries that prevent them from enjoying the freedoms they ensured remain.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what you are looking for either, but I will add I think you are mistaken. I enlisted in 1976, just 3 short years after the start of the all volunteer military. Attitudes today are massively different then they were in the 70's.

I take my kids to BWI to give girl scout cookies and USO packages to troops going to and from the various wars. I have personally witnessed a room of 300 cub scouts and their families rise to their feet and applaud when someone announced one of the dads had just returned from deployment. In all that time I have never seen one of those guys act like they were owed anything. Most of them just seemed to enjoy talking with my kids caused they missed their own.

I never saw anything even remotely like that back in the 70's. All I remember is bars not allowing anyone with a short, military style haircut in and cops shaking down groups of sailors.

Sounds to me like you are struggling a bit with yourself trying to figure out if what you did was even worth honoring. I know what you mean. I spent 6 years in the peacetime Navy. As a young man those years seemed more about sailing around buying cheap stereo gear and saving for college than serving my country. As an old man I start to see the bigger picture. Don’t sell short what you did and like the other guys said maybe you need to reexamine your attitude toward the word “service”.

If you don't like what you see, then work to change it. Volunteer for the wounded warrior program and help make houses accessible to disabled vets. Work through your kids schools to send cards and care packages to troops overseas. Not so much for the cards but to raise awareness. Volunteer your time at a local military hospital or base. Be a big brother or scout leader for some kid whose has a parent deployed.

I think your life will be more fulfilling and result in a better world for all of us if you could just replace your sense of entitlement with a sense of duty and service. What you did was honorable whether you see the signs or not.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Teching In

i dont think hes mistaken..nobody likes having their *** kissed for serving their country because were doing our job like any other but the attitude and way of life is completely differant than the average civilians way of i dont give a damn..granted not all are like that..but wars have a way of changing people and i get it..i work with all civilians and they just dont get me..my attitude my devotions or why i feel so strongly about the things i care about..maybe its a marine thing but i understand what hes saying in this post.

Quick Reply: Veteran Status doesn't seem to mean squat anymore.