Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Might be going to Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be going to Turkey

So im nearing the end of another sentence in the sun and my buddy back home tells me I have orders to Turkey. Yay! Only took 5 1/2 years at my first station. Thanks for the honesty Mr. Recruiter.

Anyway so the car. Are American cars legal in Turkey? It's an 02 SS... and even if they are legal I mines not stock of course. Probably wouldnt pass an inspection without the right inspector right now and its loud as **** even after the cutouts are thrown back on.

If anyone's been there or still is there please share any knowledge or cool experiences! Im fairly excited about this but will be kinda bummed if I cant take my wheels. Only had the reborn version (lawl deployment $$) for about 6 months before I left again and now leaving the states for good.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother is in the AF and is deployed there right now. He is an air traffic controller and I beleive he works in the RAPCON there, but he might be tower, not sure. He is not a huge car nut, so dont know if I can help you out on that side, but he would definetly know the in's and out's of turkey. I know he wouldnt mind me telling you to contact him if you got any questions. Let me know by PM if interested.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

I dont think they are allowed, usually its a controlled tour or whatever, so 2yr w/o dependants or 3 years with ?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

you wont need a car in turkey. the roads are shitty. not worth the trouble.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

I am stationed in Germany and took a four day pass there back in March 2010. If you are allowed to bring a POV, I would not bring your Camaro. The roads are complete garbage and the other drivers don't care if they tap yours while parking or otherwise. Theft is another reason not to bring it there.

Cabs are inexpensive and you can walk about anywhere (I was in Istanbul). Good luck over there.

PS - Don't waste your time going to a Whirrling Dirvesh (sp?) show. Sure it's cool, but only for about the first 5 minutes. After that, they are just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning... And be careful if you go to the Asian side. They don't have alcohol on that side. I almost got busted for having a bottle of vodka there. Stay on the European side if you want to drink.

Quick Reply: Might be going to Turkey