Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air Force Reserve (Advice type Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Force Reserve (Advice type Thread)

like the title says iv been thinking about enlisting into the Air Force Reserve to gain my degree in meteorology/ climatology, but before all that here is a little background
I graduated Cinco Ranch High in katy Texas this past June thinking im going to like the college work and be able to do all of the hard work like 90% of the people that went to my high school. Im now enrolled at Lonestar up in cypress, taking 3 classes, I quickly found out that college isnt like i thought it would be and now im thinking its not for me.

Im now thinking about enlisting in the Air force reserve and get through life that way, There are great benefits that i would be able to get from the reserve but im still not sure its for me also. If anyone has been through the reserve , how is it? what are the draw back of it? what are the other good things about it? Is there another alternative than the reserve?

Iv posted this back on seatstaysup and in the Texas section of this form,you can chime in here or over there (link below)
http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showth...649#post414649
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...pe-thread.html
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Im finishing up my last year and im enlisting in the navy. The air force has the best living conditions by far. Im going in the navy and taking engineering to work on aircraft and helicopters. My sign on bonus is going to be huge. I will get deployed for around a year going around the world. Im signing up for 4 years and seeing how i like it from there. Im going to get a degree in engineering from all this. This is just my advice I would go full into a branch of service instead of reserves unless you have some responsibility at home like a wife or kid. Just my opinion buddy. I have a buddy in the air force reserves and he gets jerked around like everywhere. He has these stupid things he has to go to all around the U.S. Its a bunch of community service and ****. Thats just what he told me.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zanez28
Im finishing up my last year and im enlisting in the navy. The air force has the best living conditions by far. Im going in the navy and taking engineering to work on aircraft and helicopters. My sign on bonus is going to be huge. I will get deployed for around a year going around the world. Im signing up for 4 years and seeing how i like it from there. Im going to get a degree in engineering from all this. This is just my advice I would go full into a branch of service instead of reserves unless you have some responsibility at home like a wife or kid. Just my opinion buddy. I have a buddy in the air force reserves and he gets jerked around like everywhere. He has these stupid things he has to go to all around the U.S. Its a bunch of community service and ****. Thats just what he told me.
im only 19 so no wife or kid but what your saying is its worth it to just enlist fully and go from there? I really dont know exactly i would be getting myself into if i even do enlist
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

My dad and my dad's dad were in the navy. They tell me all the time how much they miss it. A word of advice, dont go to a recruiter and ask him what branch you should join. He will fill you with so much bullshit and make you think oh this is great, i dont have to do ****. In any branch of the armed forces you will have to do physical training / boot camp. The navy / air force are the two that are not extremely straneous on the body. Fitness in the navy is required but not encouraged. However, it just depends on your taste. If you want to fly then the air force is for you, if you want to swim the navy's for you haha but all kidding aside, both of them are dangerous. Most people say the navy's more dangerous than the air force because your stuck out on the water, but in the airforce you stuck in the sky. You just need to do your reasearch and go from there.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zanez28
My dad and my dad's dad were in the navy. They tell me all the time how much they miss it. A word of advice, dont go to a recruiter and ask him what branch you should join. He will fill you with so much bullshit and make you think oh this is great, i dont have to do ****. In any branch of the armed forces you will have to do physical training / boot camp. The navy / air force are the two that are not extremely straneous on the body. Fitness in the navy is required but not encouraged. However, it just depends on your taste. If you want to fly then the air force is for you, if you want to swim the navy's for you haha but all kidding aside, both of them are dangerous. Most people say the navy's more dangerous than the air force because your stuck out on the water, but in the airforce you stuck in the sky. You just need to do your research and go from there.
fitness wont be much of a prob with me im already 150ish at 5 8 or so and was on my high school's wrestling team but besides that i dont mind the training that would be involved. Im trying to find out as much as i can before i even think about asking a recruiter cuz i no they are full of ****
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Its a great thing to do, it will feel great to do something for your country. You will come back from deployment with a FAT wallet too. Its a good way to make money and get your education for free.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

it sounds good and all but i still dont know if its for me you know?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Well, i've lived in the same town my whole life and i have a ton of friends and they're all going to clemson but i just want to get out of SC. Im ready to go see what its like in other countries and make something of myself. I want to make everyone proud. Thats why im going.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well, if you want to take the easy route and do it for the schooling, not to mention surrounding yourself with those that are "just there for the money", you'll fit right in with what I've seen of the USAF.

And good luck getting in with this economy. Not to mention the downsizing of the military.

But hey, the foods great! You don't even have to clean up after yourself, they'll do it for you.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tobias05
Well, if you want to take the easy route and do it for the schooling, not to mention surrounding yourself with those that are "just there for the money", you'll fit right in with what I've seen of the USAF.

And good luck getting in with this economy. Not to mention the downsizing of the military.

But hey, the foods great! You don't even have to clean up after yourself, they'll do it for you.
I plan on staying in after school and joining the hurricane hunters and as for the economy its better to go now and whenever the economy does pick up ill be done with school and have a great background

Quick Reply: Air Force Reserve (Advice type Thread)