Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What makes being in the military worth it to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would post up in here, some of you might have heard my story before if so sorry for repeating.

My name is Coltin, I come from a military family, my dad is a disabled vet and was injured during the Iran Hostage Attempt. We lived about 30-45mins away from offut air force base and he would always take me there as a kid to watch the jets take off and to watch the ceremonies. I was raised with the belief that freedom did not come free and that we must fight to keep those freedoms and to protect our loved ones.

Up until my senior year I would wake up early every morning before school just to watch JAG. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and it was to fly jets and become a JAG lawyer. I was wanting to be a disability lawyer to help the soldiers like my father who had given up so much just to have to battle for disability.

In 94 when I was 3 we had gotten the letter saying my dad had received his disability the same day we got the letter from the bank that they were going to take our house, we barely escaped that. To me it's difficult knowing that my dad was over seas serving our country and because it wasn't during war time he didn't recieve the purple heart nor the respect from the VA system that he deserved(there's a whole other story behind that). My goals in life were to become an officer in the Navy and fly jets and to land on the USS Enterprise (my fathers ship). Another one of my dreams was to be able to salute my father at his funeral while in full dress.

I applied to the Naval Academy but later dropped my application because I realized I wouldnt enjoy the curriculum and that I wanted to be closer to home, so I decided to go through the ROTC program. I applied for AF, Army, and Navy but after receiving an amazing letter of recommendation for the army I dropped my other two applications. I was awarded with a 3year full scholarship to any school of my choice (would have been four but because of delays I wasnt able to get my personal interview done in time, at least thats what the LTC said). But in Jan/Feb of 2010 I got very sick with pneumonia/unknown infection/and MRSA and had to get the lower right lobe of my lung removed. The military medically disqualified me from all military status and took away my 3 year scholarship.

I started my freshman year in the Fall of 2010 without any scholarship but I enrolled in the ROTC program knowing that there was a very slim chance of me being able to get in. It was amazing how I was able to out run/out perform most of the other cadets. But in Nov I became sick again, this time it was just stomach flu but it resulted in me back in the hospital with stomach cramps that put me on the ground and the thought of possibly having crohns disease. At that point I saw the only chance of getting my scholarship slipping away.

At the end of the semester I decided not to continue to be in the ROTC program because I needed to focus more on my major since I wasnt going anywhere military wise. I had even switched my major from Law to Constructional Engineering Technology because I was told the flight training board likes it better if I have and engineering degree. Deciding not to do ROTC was the hardest thing I had ever done, knowing that fact that my dreams of being an officer and making a career out of being a military pilot were gone, I was left with the thought that I was letting my family, my country, and specifically my dad down. After lots of talking with my dad, friends, family, and God I relized that everything happens for a reason and you just have to go with it.

To me being in the military was more then the pay, more then the benefits, more then blowing up some towel heads. To me it was the honor of serving, the belief that I was protecting our rights, and fighting for this country, for my family, and for everyone back home. Nothing has felt as good as putting on that uniform or being able to salute the American Flag. You better damn well know that I would love to be right next to you defending our great country if I could.

Since last summer I have been a Patriot Guard Rider and I very highly recommend that you set it up so that we will be there for your farewell ceremony, your return ceremony, and in the worst possible occasion. For those that don't know we only come when invited by the family. The moto of the Patriot Guard Riders is "Standing for those who stood for us". Do me the honor of letting me stand for you!

So from me to you, THANK YOU for your service, STAY SAFE, and STAY STRONG!!
God Bless you all!
-Coltin Ridenour
Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The military is worth it to me because i can see what i was doing at high school/ after high school compared to right now. My life is so much better off being in the military. It is so easy just being in the military. I have been in 9 years now. The military is my way of life now. It is all i know. I do not think i could get out and be a civilian..lol

I go back home from leave every year, and its the same old same. I am sure others will agree. Friends still doing the same thing and not doing anything to better themselves, and kids out of high school working in the mall selling cell phones for 8 bucks an hour thinking its alot of money....

Plus to serve with other people and do what my grandpa and uncles did years ago. I feel obligated to do the same.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

The Title.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobias05
The Title.
Well said
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Health benefits, not accepting mediocrity, payed twice a month regardless, pride in serving my country, college tuition/MGIB, 30 day payed vacation, job security, travel/deployments, discounts and having the best job in the Air Force as an MTI.
man ill be at lackland on the 28th whats the odds that ill have you as an MTI..lol
Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
NKAWTG...N

No job better than being a pilot in the USAF.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Motivation to finish my degree!!

What are you flying at Altus? My brother was stationed there for some years.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

i'm here for the beer and the bitches.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Except for being a Naval Aviator!!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2k2_SS
Except being Marine infantry!!!!!!!111......... wait, that sucks sometimes.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Motivation to finish my degree!!

What are you flying at Altus? My brother was stationed there for some years.
KC-135, and loving every second of it.

I am not sure about you, but I don't enjoy being stuck on a boat with several thousand other guys for 6-8 months at a time.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

KC-135, and loving every second of it.
Exactly what I want to fly!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown90camaro
man ill be at lackland on the 28th whats the odds that ill have you as an MTI..lol
Zero.. my current flight doesn't graduate till 11 March. But there's a decent chance you'll be assigned to my sqaudron. If you happen to get the 322nd.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

The military for me is an extreme love/hate relationship. There is a lot of bullshit you have to deal with, but at the end of the day you still know you're doing something less than 1% of America is willing to do. They'll bitch about our freedoms and then do nothing to help the issue.

That being said, you will NEVER have the comrodery (sp?) and friendships you make in the military in the civilian world. The amount of dumb **** you can do to each other and still be friends and laugh about it is amazing. Also being an NCO, I stay in for the soldiers. There are too many incompatent NCO's and shitbag soldiers floating around, it can make a world of difference having just a few around that actually care about their jobs. Free health care is nice too
Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget, if they're in the air, Maintenance puttem there
Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Travbabble
Except for being Marine Artillery! Sucks less and bigger guns and bigger booms!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Teching In

For my serious post I have to say this.

I was a big loser in highschool, one of the kids with unlimited potential, but no drive. Although I graduated early, my grades didn't reflect what I could have done. On a whim, I took the asvab. I only got an 82, but that was enough to start getting calls from the local recruiters. Originally I had wanted to join the Army. The recruiter got one look at me and that was enough. He told me if I lost the weight, then we'd talk. So I went to the airforce recruiter, same thing, lose the weight and then we'll talk. I went to the Marine recruiter, and he said "we'll help you lose the weight, but it's not going to be fun". He also didn't lie to me, he told me that being a Marine was great, but that it could really really suck. I thought, sign me up! Being 17, I had to have my dad sign the papers too. I'll never forget what he said, "Are you ******* crazy"?

So, I go to boot camp, six weeks in.... field week, I have an asthma attack. ****, everythings a blur, medical platoon, depressed, fail pft, pork chop platoon, another attack, medsep. Now, I'm home again, a loser again. I gained all the weight back, plus some. I was pretty depressed. I was one of those guys now, that tried and failed. I worked more menial jobs, short order cook, things like that. I got an ok job being an emergency dispatcher for the county. My boss was a former Marine. I worked there for a few months, then got fired.

I thought, **** it, I'm going to try again. So that summer, I did nothing but work out and run. I went from around 260-275lbs to 160 in 3 months (in hindsight I should have slowed down, I still have a ton of extra skin). I got a doctors note saying that I didn't have asthma and went and talked to the new recruiter. And I have to say, he hooked me up, and did everything he could to get me back in. He had my discharge rating changed so that I could go back to bootcamp, and was a great influence to me.

Bootcamp was much easier the second time lol. Everyone thought I was insane for going again, but I made it.

So, after all that, the reason why it's worth it to me? Because, it made me push myself in ways that people didnt expect. It surprises my old friends from High School, it surprised my parents, and I'm proud of what I've done. And quite simply, I love what I do.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Trav, that's awesome that you pushed yourself to keep going. Most people would give up.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

For my serious post I have to say this.

I was a big loser in highschool, one of the kids with unlimited potential, but no drive. Although I graduated early, my grades didn't reflect what I could have done. On a whim, I took the asvab. I only got an 82, but that was enough to start getting calls from the local recruiters. Originally I had wanted to join the Army. The recruiter got one look at me and that was enough. He told me if I lost the weight, then we'd talk. So I went to the airforce recruiter, same thing, lose the weight and then we'll talk. I went to the Marine recruiter, and he said "we'll help you lose the weight, but it's not going to be fun". He also didn't lie to me, he told me that being a Marine was great, but that it could really really suck. I thought, sign me up! Being 17, I had to have my dad sign the papers too. I'll never forget what he said, "Are you ******* crazy"?

So, I go to boot camp, six weeks in.... field week, I have an asthma attack. ****, everythings a blur, medical platoon, depressed, fail pft, pork chop platoon, another attack, medsep. Now, I'm home again, a loser again. I gained all the weight back, plus some. I was pretty depressed. I was one of those guys now, that tried and failed. I worked more menial jobs, short order cook, things like that. I got an ok job being an emergency dispatcher for the county. My boss was a former Marine. I worked there for a few months, then got fired.

I thought, **** it, I'm going to try again. So that summer, I did nothing but work out and run. I went from around 260-275lbs to 160 in 3 months (in hindsight I should have slowed down, I still have a ton of extra skin). I got a doctors note saying that I didn't have asthma and went and talked to the new recruiter. And I have to say, he hooked me up, and did everything he could to get me back in. He had my discharge rating changed so that I could go back to bootcamp, and was a great influence to me.

Bootcamp was much easier the second time lol. Everyone thought I was insane for going again, but I made it.

So, after all that, the reason why it's worth it to me? Because, it made me push myself in ways that people didnt expect. It surprises my old friends from High School, it surprised my parents, and I'm proud of what I've done. And quite simply, I love what I do.
Outstanding, is all I can say..
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

true... and VERY true

Quick Reply: What makes being in the military worth it to you?