Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What makes being in the military worth it to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What makes being in the military worth it to you?

I wanted to hear what everyone had to say about this. There's a lot of sacrifices made when serving in the military, including being away from your home, family, and friends for extended periods of time. So what makes serving in the military worth it to you?

I've been in the USAF for almost 2 years now, and I'm about to deploy to Iraq this year and you can't help but wonder "what makes it really worth it?"... I think mostly for me is the sense of pride you get just putting on the uniform everyday.. Also the ability to see the world! I cannot wait to get any overseas assignment! If I don't go overseas in the military, I may not ever make it back in my life to visit, you never know!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being in uniform and the travel are two GREAT reasons why ANYONE should want to join the military. I enjoyed how (unlike the corporate world) when you need something, you can get it. No where else will you get the same kind of team work with just the right amount of competition. Having been a warfighting Marine, I say the best part is going to exotic places, meeting new and interesting peoples and killing them! Oohrah! Can't do that in the states..
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's nothing out in the civilian world that can even come close to the Military. The structure, the respect, the declipline of others, the experience, the camaraderie. I miss it everyday.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

having the opportunity to work on some of the most powerful rockets on earth that put stuff in space that help my brothers and sisters down range stay alive and safe as well as other rockets that provide the blanket of freedom for this great nation...

SSgt USAF 2mox2 / vandyland: secret squirrel stuff
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

To me, it's knowing that what I do has a noticeably positive effect on the people I'm deployed to protect and better. On top of seeing them wave, smile and get excited when we go by, it feels good to know that that there are people down range that are glad that we're there, and know what we're doing is making their world a better place.

What makes it worth it to me the most though (if that makes sense), has to be knowing what I'm doing is making the world a safer place for my child.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Because I went from loser to mediocre person?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Talk about a change! Oohrah! You check in in the Marines thread?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

because it keeps me on check, who knows where id be right now if i wasnt in the Marine Corps... one thing id be for sure would be FAT... lol. good benefits as well...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swiat34
^ Talk about a change! Oohrah! You check in in the Marines thread?
Yep, sure did!

Originally Posted by 20TA02
one thing id be for sure would be FAT...
We have something in common lol
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Travbabble
Because I went from loser to mediocre person?
lol mediocre atleast your a marine, if are your ever in jeff on the last saturday of the month March?-October u should bring that 240 out to the car show up at the Capitol
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Egg1456
lol mediocre atleast your a marine, if are your ever in jeff on the last saturday of the month March?-October u should bring that 240 out to the car show up at the Capitol
Supercruise? Hell yeah I come every time. Check out midwestce.net, most of the fast local cars are on there. Search youtube for travbabble to see what happens after the supercruises lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

yea i may or may not have participated in some of that action before, i see someone racing devins vette on there though.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Egg1456
yea i may or may not have participated in some of that action before, i see someone racing devins vette on there though.
We've probably met before then lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Health benefits, not accepting mediocrity, payed twice a month regardless, pride in serving my country, college tuition/MGIB, 30 day payed vacation, job security, travel/deployments, discounts and having the best job in the Air Force as an MTI.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed all the adventure,challanges it had to offer.. pride in serving my country, college tuition. But after 22 years I will leave it to the youngsters....
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The uniforms...and great health insurance
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

You know, I'm not exactly sure. But if I hadn't joined the USAF I would probably be still living with my mother not doing **** for myself, I finally have the freedom of having my own place and without the money I wouldn't have my Z28. I was going to do TCN in May and they swept it out from under me, I would love to deploy to have a better sense of worth of doing my job but it's too hard at my base. Guam isn't a deployment, I come from a god damn island anyway so it isn't even a vacation.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was younger and single, it had tons that made it worth it. Travel, pay was decent, party life. Now being married and realizing enlisted military pay is **** for the hours I work, its not worth it at all. Im out next year at 12.....unless we get to go to israel and help defend them against the cockroach population of muslims that want them all dead.

A big what if, but its the only way I would stay in and feel like Im doing something worthy. **** Iraq and Afghanistan. Let them rot. 10 years is bullshit. They dont care about their own well beings, why should we?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Health benefits, not accepting mediocrity, payed twice a month regardless, pride in serving my country, college tuition/MGIB, 30 day payed vacation, job security, travel/deployments, discounts and having the best job in the Air Force as an MTI.
I wouldn't mind being an MTI if they're schedule was such a kick in the ***** to your social life. Haha I wish you were my MTI when I went through.. MTI with a WS6 has to be cool lol

Oh yeah, I got word my deployment to Iraq that I volunteered for this Summer got given to someone else. So now I won't go for at least another year and a half. I'm pissed. I was really looking forward to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

you get paid to go shoot, blow **** up, jump out of air planes for free, pay isn't to back, the brother hood, the best part Eagle Globe and Anchor. oh and depend on your mos dive and do some secret squirrel stuff.

Quick Reply: What makes being in the military worth it to you?