Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What makes being in the military worth it to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should start a thread titled "who can still fit into their Bootcamp-issued uniforms?"

sheot, I know I cant... they fitted us for everything two days after the Crucible and I havent been that thin since I was in middle school
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
I should start a thread titled "who can still fit into their Bootcamp-issued uniforms?"

sheot, I know I cant... they fitted us for everything two days after the Crucible and I havent been that thin since I was in middle school
Yeah, please don't. That would just be depressing.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Travbabble
For my serious post I have to say this.

I was a big loser in highschool, one of the kids with unlimited potential, but no drive. Although I graduated early, my grades didn't reflect what I could have done. On a whim, I took the asvab. I only got an 82, but that was enough to start getting calls from the local recruiters. Originally I had wanted to join the Army. The recruiter got one look at me and that was enough. He told me if I lost the weight, then we'd talk. So I went to the airforce recruiter, same thing, lose the weight and then we'll talk. I went to the Marine recruiter, and he said "we'll help you lose the weight, but it's not going to be fun". He also didn't lie to me, he told me that being a Marine was great, but that it could really really suck. I thought, sign me up! Being 17, I had to have my dad sign the papers too. I'll never forget what he said, "Are you ******* crazy"?

So, I go to boot camp, six weeks in.... field week, I have an asthma attack. ****, everythings a blur, medical platoon, depressed, fail pft, pork chop platoon, another attack, medsep. Now, I'm home again, a loser again. I gained all the weight back, plus some. I was pretty depressed. I was one of those guys now, that tried and failed. I worked more menial jobs, short order cook, things like that. I got an ok job being an emergency dispatcher for the county. My boss was a former Marine. I worked there for a few months, then got fired.

I thought, **** it, I'm going to try again. So that summer, I did nothing but work out and run. I went from around 260-275lbs to 160 in 3 months (in hindsight I should have slowed down, I still have a ton of extra skin). I got a doctors note saying that I didn't have asthma and went and talked to the new recruiter. And I have to say, he hooked me up, and did everything he could to get me back in. He had my discharge rating changed so that I could go back to bootcamp, and was a great influence to me.

Bootcamp was much easier the second time lol. Everyone thought I was insane for going again, but I made it.

So, after all that, the reason why it's worth it to me? Because, it made me push myself in ways that people didnt expect. It surprises my old friends from High School, it surprised my parents, and I'm proud of what I've done. And quite simply, I love what I do.

I dont post often, but I had too on this one..Great story of determination and going after what you want. You could have easily said F it and went on the wrong path..Instill that determination into your Soldiers/Marines when you start to lead.

That being said, the Army has taken care of me. I have no regrets in joining and in June when I retire after 24 years I'm sure I will miss it just a little bit.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gonzales25
That being said, the Army has taken care of me. I have no regrets in joining and in June when I retire after 24 years I'm sure I will miss it just a little bit.
If you miss it you didn't love it... you stayed in for 24yrs, you'll miss it! lol. I was out for a year after the Navy and missed it like hell! I'm now a 19D Cav Scout in the Army and love it. My ETS was supposed to be Sept of this year and I kept telling everyone I was getting out, but I just resigned for 4 more years and Hawaii. I sat down and thought about what I would do in the civilian world and nothing came to me. With the personality I have, customer service jobs are an absolute no go, plus I love being deployed and the comradery you find in the military is unachievalbe in the civilian world. That, and I like my job
Old 02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1

my socks still fit!!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584
my socks still fit!!
Those and I can still get the t-shirts on! lol S/R trousers are a no go as they were smallish back then (who would give a damn anyway? Some recruits needed small and got large!).
Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

The pay and benefits are good. It also enhances my career in the accounting and finance field.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Launching!

The training/hands on experience...alot of jobs(contractors) would take the hands on experience over some dude that went college and read about it. Not saying college is a bad thing, but for the guys that didn't have an opportunity of having college paid for, prior service and a few years of getting your hands dirty, gets a foot in the door for bigger and better things when you're out. Signed for 4yrs and on my 2nd deployment...ets apr 2012 I can't wait.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

did someone say yet that chicks dig guys in uniform?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Village Idiot

The free education at the time and the small paycheck to go along with it..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

I've got 10 years in now. PCSd about 8 times, so moving is fun, and seing other countries. Meeting new people and being at the cutting edge of much of the medical stuff (was a medic now hospital admin). I am a 4th generation military member, with most of my grandparents/aunts/uncles/father/sister/brother all serving in the military. Are there benefits and down sides, yeah, but I won't lie, I've seen people on the outside world, sucks to have to worry about your job all teh time. The college money has gotten me a bachelors and working towards a masters in medical admin Healthcare for my kids, for me, and retirement in 20-25 years, TYVM.

The biggest thing is the respect. In my career field it takes a while to get up the ranks. I made it to e6, which is pretty good, but I take the job serious and love to help people, soldiers, its in my blood, so this gives me the chance to, because they respect you, not only for rank but also for who you are. I have a chance to make a difference in others lives and I'm not going to take that softly.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph3PG...layer_embedded

I can sum it up like this: All of the wounded warriors, tears and flags in the video...none of them will be in vain as long as I'm alive and kicking. It's worth it to me because I can carry on their legacies and never let it be forgotten. I don't do a single thing I do without thinking about one of my brothers or sisters who's given so much more than I have.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Oh oh oh, I tried on my basic class A uniform, from august 2000, and yeppers still fits.

Quick Reply: What makes being in the military worth it to you?