Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Military Members, I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could either help me or hurt me if I ask too many questions. Haha. Have you hears of a position called "aircraft loadmaster?" my girlfriends brother (pilot) wanted me to ask.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, these guys are more or less responsible for how packs/cargo are loaded and situated. You see them more around c130's and larger aircraft (as well as Chinooks and cargo oriented helo's) which require gear to be evenly distributed for weight and size purposes.

Not a bad job but can be pretty hectic during loading and unloading periods.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, that's why he was saying. He tolde to ask because of the pay, he said with all of the hazard, separation, flight, etc pay it adds up really quickly. Plus it would get me in well with some of the other pilots if I decide to become an officer.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very true, but more or less with any air crew position you are looking at the same.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, at the point I have decided on the Air Force. I just need to be 110% sure what I want to do before I sign anything. Hopefully talking to the recruiter will help tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck and have fun. The service is only as bad as you let it be.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I appreciate it. And thanks for all the advice y'all have given me for the past few days.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job on the ASVAB Pinky! I scored an 89 with a GT of 135, so you and I aren't all much different!
Anyway I met with my recruiter and there should be a squadron of Apaches moving here soon! Until then, theres nearby positions open in Tanks and in an infantry unit for a sniper!! I'm leaning 1 year contract to sniper and go CWO to be a WSO (said as "wiso") Weapons systems officer! So tomorrow I go to talk to the tanks unit and the grunts to see what I can get into!!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

That sounds great man. Good luck. Hopefully I'll have that much of a plan by the time I get finished with my meeting tomorrow. I've been researching and asking everyone for advice, so hopefully it'll pay off.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright guys, I have decided to go air crew. I want to do something on a plane that way I hopefully have a shot at pilot when I finish my degree. I'm looking into loadmaster, aerial gunner, and inflight refuel. Any other suggestions that I am overlooking?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Flight Engineer

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 07-28-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

I think an AF Flight Engineer is pretty much the same as a Loadmaster. Congrats on ASVAB, hope you get what you want in your enlistment contract. For what it's worth, I've seen C-17 and C-5 crewdogs doing thier homework throughout flights.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only downside to flight engineer is that I can't start off in the career. You have to be an e4 with 4 years experience in a feeder career to get that job.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just locked in my MOS yesterday: I'll becan avionics technician working on the black boxes and advanced displays. 33 week school! I met the unit and they're all pretty cool! I let the 1st Sgt and CWO know that my intentions are to go to the CWO side to fly. Since I'm a 1 year contract, I'll wait and see if the Apaches move in and if so, I'll be diving for that Warrant Officer! Why not look into those advanced electronics jobs? We all know how important the black boxes are and the training opens careers with major airlines for 6-digit salaries..
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
The only downside to flight engineer is that I can't start off in the career. You have to be an e4 with 4 years experience in a feeder career to get that job.
How about Battle Manager or Airborne linguist?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Checked in to Airborne Linguist, but I don't think that I want to do that. I've narrowed it down now to the three that I mentioned before. I figure if I only put those 3 down, I may have to wait a bit longer before I can leave, but it should be worth it considering no matter what I'll have one of the few that I wanted. Also, I am going to finish this semester out so I will only have 40 credits left until I get my degree, which won't have me leaving for basic until around January. I'm really excited and can't wait to go. Now I just have to finish all of the application process and go to MEPS for my physical.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couple things I don't think you've mentioned yet.

First have you looked into whether you have enough college credits to start at an e-2 or e-3 pay grade? Starting above the bell curve will help in advancing to higher ranks in the long run instead of having to chase the next ranks time in grade requirements. Easily save yourself at least a year and a half to 2 years of chasing the lower ranks.

I'm not sure about the AF but you might also find out if college credits help towards advancement. In the Marines we still use a point based system and a common practice is to apply only the amount of credit hours needed to max out the points for that rank and save the rest for the next rank. I'm just not certain the AF runs a similar mentality. It may just be having the college looks better but you still have to chase time in grade. Some of the AF guys will know more.

As for jobs, I like shooting things so I'd go gunner, but then that is why I joined the Corps. Do you have an idea of what you want to fly? Fixed wing, rotary? Large aircraft like the c5 or nimble helo's like the black hawk?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should have mentioned that earlier, I will have enough college credit going in to enter as an E-3. Gunner would be fun, but in reality any of the three will get me into the air so I really don't mind where I get put. Thats the downside to the AF, I can't pick exactly what I want going in, they will look at my list of 3-8 careers and which ever comes open first I get. As far as once I finish my degree, if I can get a chance at a Pilot slot I won't be picky about what I fly, I'll take what I can get at this point.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

I noticed you didn't list the Navy. Well I happen to be in the Navy, enlisted though, not officer. And I rather like the easy flow of life. It's still the military and lots of bullshit you have to go through. But we definitely have it easier than our Marine counterparts, their life is much more stressful, they are held to much higher standards.

From what I have heard, the Airforce has the best standard of living. The Navy is trying to downsize, so don't go there. I would never go Army or Marines, on account of I don't want to mess with guns, or have to be put in a position where I have to learn how to kill and then do it. It's a very remote chance of getting gun training AND putting it to use while in the Navy.

All branches offer TA (tuition assistance) which will pay for up to $250 per credit hour of any school that accepts TA, which is like 90% of all state schools, and some private ones. You have to pay for the books though, and if you fail the class you have to pay for the class also.

Once you get out of the service you can get the Post 9/11 GI bill, which will pay for 4 years of schooling, all extra costs, books, and give you E-5 BAH (Bachelor Housing Allowance) depends on the area, but is usually between $900 and $1700 a month. 4 free years of college once you get out.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

BTW, I am an air traffic controller, so I talk to the pilots, tell them where to go, what to do etc. Get to talk to pilots through my headset on a daily basis. It's the perfect job, you get to sit down all day, you're isolated usually, just 5 or 6 people in a tower or radar room.

Plus if you ever decide to get out, Air Traffic Controllers make good money in the civilian world!

Quick Reply: Military Members, I need advice