Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Military Members, I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand I will have to pay for my uniforms. Basically, when I arrive to Basic they will give me a pre loaded $400 card for all of my purchases, but it is then deducted from my first pay check. I was told this yesterday by someone who went through Basic last year.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About what I had to do. You'll also have to cover the cost of basic toiletries and misc items like a razor, PT gear (shorts, t-shirts, white socks and running shoes), laundry bags, and other such items. I can't speak for the AF but usually they will have pre-itemized lists and you just line up and fill a laundry bag. All of which you are responsible for paying for. Hence the $400 EZ-card or whatever they are calling them these days.

You'll also periodically have to re-purchase some items. You have a shorter boot camp than our 13 weeks so it won't be as often thankfully.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

If your going through AF basic, you don't pay for uniforms. They issue eveything you need, down to socks, drawers, even running shoes. The $400 advance is to pay for anything and everything else you'll need such as toiletries, pen, paper, ..,etc. That's for enlisted folks. Now if you are going through OTS, they indeed make you pay for your uniforms up front. I have experienced both first hand. I actually spent some time as an instructor in basic. I know of at least one other member of this forum that has done the same.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked the wrong service. Sheesh.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alamo, thanks for clearing that up. I was told today that I need to have a minimum of 4 AFSC's listed when I go into MEPS. There are only 7 jobs that I would really want to do some, more than others. My list as of now looks like this:
1. Loadmaster
2. In-flight Refueling
3. Fire Protection,
4. ATC
5. Aerial Gunner
6. Airborne Battle Manager
7. ISR

I know that Fire Protection is damn near impossible to get, but I have a back ground as a volunteer fire fighter and I am currently certified in my state as a Fire Figher (that may help)

I really only want #1-4, but i figured some one here may have had some experience with one of the others and could give me some advice on it. Of the 7 I have listed, how would y'all rank them?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Well I'm a ABMer so I'm partial to flying jobs. It depneds if your definitely in it for a career or you might get out after a few tours. I say that cuz some of these jobs dont have a good civilian equlivalent. For example not much need in the civilian world for an Aerial gunner, but that's a cool job. Nor for ABMers, IFR and only a few loadmaster jobs. Basically, unless your a pilot, flying jobs are tough to transition to civilian. On the other hand, they pay more and you get to travel more. So here's my list, if I was doing it over after 24 years of experience.

1. Load master - flight pay and lots of cool places
2. Aerial gunner - flight pay, helos, SOF support cool stuff
3. IFR - flight pay, but some long missions depending on airframe
4. ABM - flight pay, definitely longer missions, limited duty stations(Oklahoma is main)
5. ATC- FCC rating, lots o' $$ if you decide to go civilian
6. Fire Protection- just a cool job, but not too many fires on bases
7. ISR - just cuz I dont know enough about it
Old 07-30-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I like your list based on your comments. You got a good mix of good jobs along with good training if you get out. Go with it! Good luck!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is pretty much the exact same way I would have made it. Would you mind telling a bit more about ABM? Also, I definitely want to make a career out of it.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

That was one thing I looked for before going into the Navy. I knew I was getting out someday, whether it be after my first 5 year enlistment or 20 years down the road. And you may not believe it, but military veterans have a VERY high unemployment rate. It's because a lot of the jobs they did in the military don't transition over to the civilian world very well. Most jobs that deal with weapons, explosives, just about anything exclusively related to the military? There will be little or no job availability in the civilian sector.

So I went with a job that had a big demand in the civilian sector. ATC. In fact, many air traffic controllers that work for the FAA are prior military. Only way to get a job in the FAA is to complete a 4 year college degree in ATC, or have prior work experience. Just something to keep in mind, a job that transitions over to the civilian sector is very valuable, unless you want to be in the military till your 60's, which very few people do, and with the new PTS (Perform to Serve) system in the Navy, it's a lot harder to stay in for many years. They are pushing people to get out of the military, since it's downsizing and funding is being cut in a few areas.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
You'll also periodically have to re-purchase some items. You have a shorter boot camp than our 13 weeks so it won't be as often thankfully.
But the items you'll have buy are really just little things. You're right on the 13 weeks though, it used to be 6 weeks plus a "Zero" week, now it's 8 (don't know if they still do the zero week thing anymore), and no crucible either (from what I've heard that's pretty rough).
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
That is pretty much the exact same way I would have made it. Would you mind telling a bit more about ABM? Also, I definitely want to make a career out of it.
ABMers mainly fly E-3 AWACS and are the airborne controller of the battle space. We control all aircraft flying in the AOR except the very low flying slow movers. We control tanker tracks, close air support aircraft, as well as bomb droppers. Lots of talking on the radio. Usually listening to 4 freqs at a time, but one is your primary depending on crew position. That's the officer side of ABM; the enlisted side identifies and track aircraft in the airspace that are friendly or unknown and basically support the controllers. Porbably do much more but it's a new career field for the enlisted so I dont know what the other duties are.

You'll also find ABMer in the E-8 JSTARS and in ground mobile units as well.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys, I got my line scores back today, they are:
AFQT:90
M:94
A:90
G:89
E:95
Composite:368
From what the recruiter says I should be guaranteed me first choice of a job. I'm really hoping for loadmaster. It seems like a great job. I sent my medical records in today an hopefully I'll get those back and go to MEPS by the end of next week.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Great job! I'm positive you'll love being a "load toad".
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! I'm really hoping that it all works out. If all goes to plan, I'll be heading to MEPS next thursday, any advice for MEPS?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MEPS is a lot of sitting around trying not to shoot yourself. Expect to be bored out of your mind. If you aren't getting on a bus straight for bootcamp from meps, I'd suggest bringing a book.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard that it is a really long day, is there anything that I need to make sure to do or not to do?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not really. As I said, if you aren't shipping out right after bring a book. Other than that just go where they tell you and wait. Also be ware of other recruiters. I let slip my asvab scores to one and the next thing I know the navy was clamoring for me to join their nuclear science program.

In hindsight i maybe should have.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

One of my friends just left for basic and he's going into the Navy Nuke program. That seems like a pretty sweet deal also.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

I had a friend in bootcamp (Navy), and he was going to Nuke school. He said it was 2 years long, and after two years you're automatically E-4, but most people make E-5. And after completion of Nuke School, you get your bonus. $90,000. I think the re-enlistiment bonus after your first contract is up is over $100,000.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also invited to join the Navy Nuc program. It's half the bonus up front and the other half upon completion. My ex-brother-in-law is a Nuc on CVN 76 USS Ronald Reagan.

Quick Reply: Military Members, I need advice