Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Military Members, I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know lots of nukes, they all hate life.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got some bad news today. The recruiter called me and said that MEPS is only taking people for special tactics and linguist positions for the next two weeks. Hopefully they will start accepting everyone else after that. So it seems like I'll be waiting a good while longer than I had hoped to be.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Yeah, I am not too surprised. It's pretty difficult to get into the Navy and Airforce right now, they are being very selective. Even the Marines are I believe, Army's the only easy one. And if you've been paying attention to the news, this new budget deal they passed will severely cut defense spending. That means they are going to be recruiting a LOT less, and possibly kicking out some people who are already in.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I've scored high enough to get a guaranteed spot as an airborne linguist or cryptologic linguist. If it comes down to it, I could do that. She said any linguist or spec tactics jobs are guarantees.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

id finish school then join af as an officer, i wish i had done that id be an lt right now instead of putting on ssgt.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Teching In

This thread is full of incorrect information regarding the USAF and AFSCs, i hope no one is using it to base any sort of decision on joining.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

If there is any incorrect information, would you mind giving merge correct information? This thread is being used to gather advice from the personal experience of members who have been or currently are enlisted. Also, yes it is being used to gather advice in whether to join or not. As far as graduating college first, my hangups there are student loans (I would have 30k upon graduation), and my chances of getting in to OTS with my current degree (criminal justice) everyone I have talked to from the AF has said it is almost impossible to be taken into OTS as a civilian without a technical degree.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
If there is any incorrect information, would you mind giving merge correct information? This thread is being used to gather advice from the personal experience of members who have been or currently are enlisted. Also, yes it is being used to gather advice in whether to join or not. As far as graduating college first, my hangups there are student loans (I would have 30k upon graduation), and my chances of getting in to OTS with my current degree (criminal justice) everyone I have talked to from the AF has said it is almost impossible to be taken into OTS as a civilian without a technical degree.
Absolutely, i'm not trying to **** in anyone else's cheerios as it seems these guys were really trying to help you out. I just want to make sure you get all the right info before signing the dotted line.

Originally Posted by robcas47
SERE Instructor? I'm curious as to what someone told you about how you can just jump into that sort of job. For starters are you at least a level 2 combatives instructor? Do you have any experience in the Spec Ops field? Have you ever taken and passed any sort of swim test? What did this recruiter tell you? Has any one warned you yet about recruiters? They can be like used car salesmen, except they sell souls. They say that if you can sell a soul you can sell anything, this is what an old recruiter friend of mine once told me. Always go and talk with at least a few different recruiters from each branch of service you are interested in. Don't give them to uch info and don't worry about anything you may have signed, you can back out anytime you want, unless of course you were sworn in by a commisioned officer, then your screwed dude.
USAF SERE is an AFSC that you can jump right into. Visit www.gosere.com for actual info.

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
As a Marine grunt I can honestly say, go air force. Better quality of life.

But as rob said get more info on SERE because a LOT of MOS's that sound cool are only open to people that have qualified out of other MOS's. In the Marines we have Recon which a lot of young guns think you can just jump right into from boot which isn't true. Same with EOD and some other specialty jobs in our Branch.

I'd also say be careful trying to get aviation out of the Army or Airforce. They take on a higher volume of officers and aviation is a top ticket item. Last I remember the Marines were about the only force that had guaranteed flight placement. So be sure you have everything in writing before you commit, otherwise you may be a chow hall butterball (2nd Lt).

Also as rob said, your recruiter probably has not been forth coming with you. Most guys use recruiting duty because you get promoted very quickly and because quantity tends to matter more than quality so as long as you sign on the dotted line they get the credit and look better. So you are doing good getting opinions from those who've served. First and foremost however.... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

To many people get promised everything from bonuses to meritorious e-2 to other nonsense and because it wasn't in writing when they get to boot they get laughed at and told the recruiter lied to them.

I'd also suggest finishing school. You never know what type of unit you'll be with and while some will work with you, I've had as many 1st Sgt's who (and somewhat rightly so) put the training over any after hours learning.

Transferring reserves to active is also a LOT of red-tape. You can sometimes find a good recruiter to help, but your reserve admin are basically lame ducks in a lot of cases and reserve battalions are notoriously slow.

There is a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment but if you've got questions I've done enough to know the ropes from both the active and reserves sides.

USMC is the only branch that requires you to cross train into EOD.

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Wow, SERE is special tactics. News to me! Now TACP, Combat Controller, PJ, Combat Wx, EOD even; those are what I would consider special tactics, but thats definitely stepping it up a notch or two! Good Luck with your decision.
We(EOD) fall under CE. For anyone looking for actual info on USAF Special Tactics visit www.specialtactics.com.

Originally Posted by robcas47
I think an AF Flight Engineer is pretty much the same as a Loadmaster. Congrats on ASVAB, hope you get what you want in your enlistment contract. For what it's worth, I've seen C-17 and C-5 crewdogs doing thier homework throughout flights.
Above is incorrect regarding USAF FE vs Loadmaster.

The only downside to flight engineer is that I can't start off in the career. You have to be an e4 with 4 years experience in a feeder career to get that job.
I don't know the exact info on this but you may wish to check on www.afforums.com as there are active FEs on there.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Normally you don't get BAH unless you are E-4 or above, this coming from Navy experience, I assume the Airforce is similar. But if you are E-3 or below, you will get BAH if you have a dependent, I.E. a wife, a child, or a brother or sister whose legal guardian you have become. BAH differs depending on the area, I'm in Mississippi, poorest state in the nation. E-4 BAH here is roughly $750 a month. Chicago it's almost $1,700 a month. San Diego is about $1,800 a month. Norfolk Virginia is right around $1,200. Differs from place to place.
Single E3s in some cases can move off base in the USAF, it all depends on the amount of dorm space and how many people are on the off-base waiting list.

Not sure what branch you're in. But I can tell you in the Navy, you get BAS once you are no longer in bootcamp or A-school (tech school). That's your food allowance, $323 a month. I get $7 in BAH a month, but I still live in the barracks. In the Navy you don't get BAH unless you are married, over E-4, or have a dependent I.E. a child, or someone whose legal guardian you are. There are a few bases in the fleet where you get BAH as an E-3 or below, but those are few and far between.
USAF members in the dorms do not typically get BAS, most are required to eat in the chow hall. there are exceptions due to work limitations however.

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Great job! I'm positive you'll love being a "load toad".
Load Toad is a nickname for weapons loaders, not load masters.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank You for clearing a lot of that up. As I said earlier, I am really just trying to get the best information I can before enlisting.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the info you've pointed out was rectified by either one of T's later posts (like the SERE info) or someone else. Much of what was said however was telling him to verify because a lot of jobs out there aren't optioned from the beginning and there was some general doubt on SERE instructor. For those who've been through SERE it just seemed odd for someone with little more than book knowledge and some prac app to be teaching SERE as an e2. We didn't want the kid to sign on the dotted line just to find out his recruiter lied to him and it'd be a good 2 - 4 years before he could get into such a position. But yes SERE is a straight from boot option in the AF.

The biggest difference with FE and LM is dealing with the plane as a whole vs dealing solely with packs/cargo. There are some bleed over of duties and starting LM will naturally set you up to cross over to FE. If anything FE is just an an evolutionary step up from LM where you begin to understand the intricacies of why you did what you did as an LM. Are they the same? No. Are there aspects of the job that are similar or even bleed overs? Of course. Will you be sitting next to each other on the flight? Just about.

As for the BAS/BAH, that is all relative to the base you are stationed on and the command from your unit up to your battalion. I've seen it where there was $0 BAS/BAH because of dorm space and an available chowhall, to situations where you could be receiving one but not the other because there was either dorm space but no chow hall or vice versa, or receiving both because there was no dorm space or chow hall. I've also seen it rate for some because the chow hall had a fee attached.

And the e3 thing was mentioned before. It is entirely up to the command so long as there is dorm space and in the vast majority of situations if you aren't married you aren't living off base without a seriously good reason, and as a boot with no dependents, your not gonna top that list.

As for load toad.... I'll have to remember that next time I'm being sandwiched into the back of a c130.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wanted to let you all know also, that I may wind up going in as an Airborne Cryptologic Linguist, provided that I pass the DLAB. The recruiter was telling me that it is critically manned and the job doesn't seem like it would be bad at all. I know it would be really tough and that he school would be even tougher, but it seems like it would be pretty cool in the end.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Good luck on your future endeavor.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Some of the info you've pointed out was rectified by either one of T's later posts (like the SERE info) or someone else. Much of what was said however was telling him to verify because a lot of jobs out there aren't optioned from the beginning and there was some general doubt on SERE instructor. For those who've been through SERE it just seemed odd for someone with little more than book knowledge and some prac app to be teaching SERE as an e2. We didn't want the kid to sign on the dotted line just to find out his recruiter lied to him and it'd be a good 2 - 4 years before he could get into such a position. But yes SERE is a straight from boot option in the AF.
Like i said before, you guys were looking out for his best interest. If you take a look at the SERE instructor pipeline you'd realize it isn't a little book knowledge and some prac app.

As for load toad.... I'll have to remember that next time I'm being sandwiched into the back of a c130.
Our Weapons loaders i believe are called Aviation Ordnance for you guys.

Its always a good time no matter what airframe you're getting stuffed nut to butt on!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

I wanted to let you all know also, that I may wind up going in as an Airborne Cryptologic Linguist, provided that I pass the DLAB. The recruiter was telling me that it is critically manned and the job doesn't seem like it would be bad at all. I know it would be really tough and that he school would be even tougher, but it seems like it would be pretty cool in the end.
What recruiter and or what station you working with? Good luck with the DLAB!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1
What recruiter and or what station you working with? Good luck with the DLAB!
Staff Sgt. ehh?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im working with Sgt. Nowell in Columbia SC and am dealing with Fort Jackson MEPS. I am just waiting on my medical records to be approved before I can go to MEPS.... Today is the 8th day of waiting. haha.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Staff Sgt. ehh?
Actually Sergeant First Class just havent changed the sig pic yet.. medical records approved? did you need a med waiver? just curious. Im a recruiter and I just like to ask questions to those who are going through the process with other recruiters to see what they are going through and its interesting to hear those speak about the process..
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think I need a waiver, I had an arthroscopic knee surgery about a year ago and I broke my wrist in 2007, but she didn't say I needed a waiver of any kind.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Loadmaster takes care of the packs and cargo. FE are usually people that have been in maintenance afsc like crew chief or life support hahaha or com nav or gcs. Fes are only on 130,5,rc135,e3,kc10 its a good job but a bitch job. And Loadmaster the same and also boomers. I'm a heavy crew chief come in the military your getting fucked
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by barkerracing59
I'm a heavy crew chief come in the military your getting fucked

Quick Reply: Military Members, I need advice