Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine Corps or Air Force

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's keep this on track.

We aren't talking about government funding to certain branches. The dude want's opinions on which branch to enter, PERIOD DOT.

Basically, if you are wound up like a spring I say go Marines. If you are chill go USAF.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

I recommend to people that they try and figure out what they would like to do and find the branch that offers the best version of that. Every branch has SOF jobs, every branch has combat arms jobs, every branch has pog jobs. It's such a joint fight today I find the inter service stuff to be retarded. There are people who go out and kick haj in the teeth, and there are people who don't.

Unless you were one of those guys who's wanted to be a Marine since you were 4, or you want to do a job only the Marines offers (which I can't think of any but I haven't looked into it either) you can probably do anything you want somewhere else with a much higher quality of life.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about what you can do with your "skills" after the military either. My job has no outside application, but I'll be getting out with a degree and combat experience, that **** gets jobs. Who's to say you will even want to do what you did in the military anyway. I can't imagine doing the same ******* thing for 50 years myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i chose the Marines for a few different reasons, to be different from my families history of military (brothers and dad were either navy or air force) another reason was tradition (males in my family, military is encouraged. give back something to your country) i like the history of the Marines, very rich history vs the other branches. there's so much pride! waking up everyday hating my job ( i aint going to lie about that, i'll get to that in a little) i just wake up proud knowing that i myself had the ***** to push myself, get out of my comfort zone, give up everything i had that was going great to start at the bottom again. proud that out of all my friends.... i'm the only one that did what he said he would do.

now why didn't i just go the AF way, hell i work helo's! it's too easy! i have to do everything the hard way. when everyone takes the easy path, i'll take the hard path. was like that before i enlisted and still am, only a few months out before i EAS.

now to my job.... I work with ordnance on aircraft. my work days are "12 on 12 off" i say it like that because in reality, the days are almost 15-16 hours long. i work outside all the time, don't matter the weather conditions. constantly moving ordnance around manually up and down from aircraft. we are undermanned and have only 4 tool boxes, literally 4 boxes. we are four-sited right now stretching our man power even thinner. i wake up pissed off every morning doing the same job over and over again day in and day out.

last year, we were training just outside of las vegas at a AF base. their living conditions were 5 star hotels compared to our rooms back in pendelton. their chow halls had FRESH food! the strangest thing was people were happy to be at work, like they actually smiled! one thing i noticed was that everyone had a specialty job. where it would be me and two other marines to do a job, they had about 4 teams of 3-5 airmen a piece! even loading the ordnance they had lifts and all sorts of fancy tools to make the job easy! lol i just laughed and thought to myself, im doing this all wrong...i should be using my head not my back!

anyways everything is easier in the AF vs the Marines. if your happy with having it easy that's fine, nothing wrong with that. I myself chose the Marines because i like challenges!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Never-ending

Last edited by 96modgt; 02-21-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Eh it does make sense if you've been around the Marine Corps. Between MARDIV, MLG and the MAW, life differs completely. Wingers are about as pog as you get, they dont even get issues rifles, work long hours and often weekends. Group Marines tend to have a shitty job of supporting literally eveyone, being whored out and treated like ****. MARDIV, being the combat arms of Marine Corps get the brunt of the bullshit and have pretty much no standards to quality of life. Compare the Marine Corps to the other services, ask them about the barracks, work days, treatment, food, time off, freedoms, and certs. Although I used only 3 sides of the Marine Corps, there are more than just those. . . Ask around among first term Marines past their 3 year mark.
Wingers dont get issued Rifles?? Whats our TO weapon? A slingshot?? We dont work long hours? I guess slapping hands with day crew @ 6am when your on night crew working on air craft from 1600 the night prior isnt long hours... I love reading things like this, this really shows your maturity and lack of knowledge. Who are you with now?? Military isnt for everyone. Jay
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Then obviously your a boot. Since I've been a CMC I have dealt with every unit qualifying on Lejeune. Mag 26/29 have both said the same thing. Their armory has weapons, but they are not issued to their Marines. They are only handed out for the range, and deployments(winger combat load is about 1 to 3 mags). As for down time, there is none on the wing side - they are tasked constantly, and every so many flight hours calls for a certain level of maintenance. Ground side works differently, though I have noticed with the exception of(off the top of my head) about 3 SNCOs, they dont give a **** about anyone but themselves. I have been around, a part of 3 different BTNs, along with working with several more over deployments. They are pretty much all the same, 1/6, 3/2, 3/9, 2nd CEB, 2nd LAR are as of right now the only non-special warfare units that I have any respect for based on general care for their Marines.
You're kidding right?

I was with both MALS-36 and MALS-39 and I recall one of the first things I had to do when getting to both locations was going to the armory to get a rifle issued to me. And what do you know, every time I went to clean it or go to the range, it was the same rifle. Sure sounds like it was issued to me. I really enjoyed going to the range and shooting better than 95% of the grunts out there.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I've been Air force for over 6 years now and it has honestly been the best decision of my life. I almost joined the Army in early 2005, I had a 'guaranteed job' as a Counter-Intel Agent, however my recruiter told me that he'd been in 22 years and didn't care if I joined the Army or not as he was getting out soon and wished he had joined the Air Force all those years ago, not necessarily for himself but for the way the AF takes care of your family as well (something to think about even if you don't currently have one) He literally had my enlistment paperwork in his hand to be signed by me and said 'I don't see any reason why you CANT join the AF, go talk to the recruiter next door and if you don't like what he has to say or what jobs are available, come back and I'll sign you up'

I think that job would have been VERY interesting in the Army, however I still feel the AF was the better choice of the two. I wont get into specifics of what I do in the AF, however I do get to ride around in planes and do neat things.

The choice is yours, as others have said though if you are questioning yourself between two VERY VERY different ways of life I'd suggest you go AF.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Air Force was a cake walk.

I just got out a few months ago. I'm now a full-time student and making more money with the G.I. Bill and unemployment than I was as an E-4 with BAH/BAS.

I was a 3c0x1 and had a very easy 4 years. You will understand why it's called the chair force for the most part.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Then obviously your a boot. Since I've been a CMC I have dealt with every unit qualifying on Lejeune. Mag 26/29 have both said the same thing. Their armory has weapons, but they are not issued to their Marines. They are only handed out for the range, and deployments(winger combat load is about 1 to 3 mags). As for down time, there is none on the wing side - they are tasked constantly, and every so many flight hours calls for a certain level of maintenance. Ground side works differently, though I have noticed with the exception of(off the top of my head) about 3 SNCOs, they dont give a **** about anyone but themselves. I have been around, a part of 3 different BTNs, along with working with several more over deployments. They are pretty much all the same, 1/6, 3/2, 3/9, 2nd CEB, 2nd LAR are as of right now the only non-special warfare units that I have any respect for based on general care for their Marines.
Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one has been able to corroborate any of your nonsense about the Marine Corps. You must be one of those people that needs to feel special. The world doesn't revolve around and nobody gives a **** about your petty little issues ya crybaby.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

Do what you feel is best, figure out what job you would like to do. which ever branch offers it go for it. I'm currently in the army and i work in a Recon platoon couldn't be happier but its hard work.

I have met alot of guys from both Marine's & Air Force you really can't go wrong just do what you feel is best. As far as the **** talking goes though every branches swears they are the best. but we all pull our own weight..... for example we all train each other, E.O.D i believe is ran on an Air force base, being in recon i know there are a few schools the marines offer for us army guys. and the army offers schools ranging from AirBorne, Air assault & Ranger etc... just do what you feel is right for you.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

But if i were you id say Marine all the way.... i started out my army career working with marines and i love'd my devil dogs.... when i went to Airborne i was pretty good friends with some marines

i actually just took the time to look at your original post, if you are worried about getting treated poorly don't be a dipshit when you show up to your unit. everyone is going to have a shitty day.

do you have any idea what you'd like to do???
Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reject
i chose the Marines for a few different reasons, to be different from my families history of military (brothers and dad were either navy or air force) another reason was tradition (males in my family, military is encouraged. give back something to your country) i like the history of the Marines, very rich history vs the other branches. there's so much pride! waking up everyday hating my job ( i aint going to lie about that, i'll get to that in a little) i just wake up proud knowing that i myself had the ***** to push myself, get out of my comfort zone, give up everything i had that was going great to start at the bottom again. proud that out of all my friends.... i'm the only one that did what he said he would do.

now why didn't i just go the AF way, hell i work helo's! it's too easy! i have to do everything the hard way. when everyone takes the easy path, i'll take the hard path. was like that before i enlisted and still am, only a few months out before i EAS.

now to my job.... I work with ordnance on aircraft. my work days are "12 on 12 off" i say it like that because in reality, the days are almost 15-16 hours long. i work outside all the time, don't matter the weather conditions. constantly moving ordnance around manually up and down from aircraft. we are undermanned and have only 4 tool boxes, literally 4 boxes. we are four-sited right now stretching our man power even thinner. i wake up pissed off every morning doing the same job over and over again day in and day out.

last year, we were training just outside of las vegas at a AF base. their living conditions were 5 star hotels compared to our rooms back in pendelton. their chow halls had FRESH food! the strangest thing was people were happy to be at work, like they actually smiled! one thing i noticed was that everyone had a specialty job. where it would be me and two other marines to do a job, they had about 4 teams of 3-5 airmen a piece! even loading the ordnance they had lifts and all sorts of fancy tools to make the job easy! lol i just laughed and thought to myself, im doing this all wrong...i should be using my head not my back!

anyways everything is easier in the AF vs the Marines. if your happy with having it easy that's fine, nothing wrong with that. I myself chose the Marines because i like challenges!
they looked happy because they couldn't wait to get off work to go downtown and party lol. i know, im AF and have been TDY to Nellis 4 times and their on base lodging is pretty nice i must say. shoot, even their crack houses aren't bad. crew chiefs most of the time work 12's as well at home station, they did when i was stationed at shaw AFB. They have career fields (in Aircraft maintenance) for hydro, ammo, munitions, egress, sheet metal, metals tech, propultions and Fuel Systems which is what i do (im sure im forgetting a few) i work on F-16's and there's a reason why we don't do more than fuels systems, because they are a burden to work on and troubleshoot. itll take you all of 5 years or more experience on that jet to KNOW well what you are doing right just in my career field. plus its the air force, its what we do so we are going to have more manning and jobs in maintenance compared to any other branch
Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I joined the Marine Corps in a court room. True story. I did a bunch of stupid **** that should have had me behind bars for years RIGHT after I turned 18. The judge asked me to turn around, and say hello to the gentleman sitting in the back (Marine Recruiter). Judge told me if I went to boot camp, made it, and returned in uniform he'd make it, in a nutshell, all go away.

That man died before I had the chance to come back. I never had the chance to stand in front of him as a Marine and not a dipshit that didn't deserve his leniancy. I never had the chance to say thank you.

I now make a 850 mile round trip once a year to lay flowers on his grave, say a prayer, and drive back home.

Moral of the story is the Marines gave me something. They gave me a reason to be the best I could be. They gave me responsibility, and they held me accountable when I deserved it. They made me grow up, learn a lot more about life than I ever would have as a civillian, and to appreciate. Just appreciate.

Hell, I can still tell you the 7th Commandant of the Marine Corps, BrigGen Jacob Zeilin created and approved the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. They instill discipline and culture you won't find anywhere else; A brotherhood till the end of time.

OP, bottom line is I think you already made up your mind and want reassurance. When I joined I didn't have a computer or internet.... I had no idea what a "forum" was. In the end you have to make your own decision for what YOU want and what YOU expect out of life. Make it meaningful.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the info the OP has given, I believe the Air Force would better suit what you are looking for. There are lots of aircraft maintenance jobs in the Air Force that are usually readily available, and I can promise you that your condition of life will be better than in the Marines. There are flying crew chiefs also, that depending on what airframe you are assigned, you may get to travel often and all over the world.

Let me be very clear on this next part though; this is to say nothing negative about the Marines. Every branch has its use, and we could not do it as a whole without each one, especially the Marines. They have it much worse because the environment in which they perform day to day duties is much more harsh. But to them, "the suck" is home. Thats why they are the best at what they do.

To the OP, when you are a little closer in your decision, I urge you to find actual individuals be it on here, or better yet in the real world who are in that exact position to give you a very accurate description of life in that career. There is nothing more important than picking something you will be happy in, vs something a recruiter lied to you about and now you are miserably awaiting the end of your enlistment.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Wow...Some laughable info in here. Mostly from one individual. There's your 10%.

You will know if you want to be a Marine. If you are trying to "decide" between AF or the Corps, go AF. They are a very giving organization. And there is nothing wrong with that.

In the Corps, you will get yelled at, live in dirt holes, see the worst parts of the worst, and think at times, think nothing could be worse. But, it's been the best decision I've ever made.

My wife did her first 4 yrs in the AF, then onto the Marines. She'll be retiring in a few years with about 24 years of service. Her view, the AF is like being a civilian, but you wear a uniform to work. She loved it, but wanted something different.

I say, go AF.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
Wow...Some laughable info in here. Mostly from one individual. There's your 10%.

You will know if you want to be a Marine. If you are trying to "decide" between AF or the Corps, go AF. They are a very giving organization. And there is nothing wrong with that.

In the Corps, you will get yelled at, live in dirt holes, see the worst parts of the worst, and think at times, think nothing could be worse. But, it's been the best decision I've ever made.

My wife did her first 4 yrs in the AF, then onto the Marines. She'll be retiring in a few years with about 24 years of service. Her view, the AF is like being a civilian, but you wear a uniform to work. She loved it, but wanted something different.

I say, go AF.
couldn't have said it better myself
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Ive been in the Air force for 12 years. It has changed alot. Mostly for the worse. They are losing sight of main goals and missions, and are more concerned about being fit-to-fight and updating your computer based training. The Air Force is a JOKE!!! Im an aircraft mechanic that makes less than an auto mechanic as a civilian. They award people who have the easiest jobs and who screw up the most. The promotion system is based on lies and kissing ***. I personally have gotten an achievemnet award for something I didnt do. I had no idea til I was up on stage in front of my fellow airmen, hearing all the "bullet statements" " Airman Joe" did that I was getting credit for, just cause they didnt like him. Do not go Air Force trust me. Unless you like training and doing someone elses job after working 9-12 hours of your job. Getting blamed for everyone elses mistakes, or getting wrote up because your not wearing your earplugs or something rediculous. There is way to much BS for any one to deal with. This is 12 years of experience talking and 3 different bases.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

You should have never moved out of your mom's house, clearly real life is too difficult for you.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the only true marine is a submarine............

now that thats out of the way. Personally I think Navy or AF is the best set for you. I joined the Navy cause of the technical training I can get from it. Best decision yet. Granted my living conditions suck more than most everyone except the SEALS but it was my choice and I wouldn't look back on it for a minute. Being a submariner has its bragging rights just the same as a marine, but I have the utmost respect for what those guys do. choose what you feel is right and will help you the most for a life after the military. That is what I did, but this just may end up being a career for me.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was 9 years Navy. If I didn't go Navy I would have gone Air Force. Nothing against Marines, but my family and friends were a mix of Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines and all agreed that Air Force was the way to go for standard of living. It was mainly out of tradition that I chose Navy. Dad, uncle, great uncle, cousin, you get the picture.

Like others said, figure out what you want to do then talk to recruiters and see if they offer it after you get your ASVAB score. I had friends who were Aviation Marines that worked on Cobra helos and others that worked on F-18. They went to Navy schools for basic electronics. Had a fair standard of living but had to deploy to ships or the desert. Also got some **** from Marine grunts for being "Personnel Other than Grunt". Can you stand the thought of being out to sea for months at a time? Would you mind living in the equivalent of a shipping container in the desert?

My friend Chris went Air Force. He worked in a photo recon lab. Top notch per-diem and accomodations on travel. He walked into a plum Government job when he got out and is working in an air conditioned lab. From start to finish his stint in the military offered a better standard of living and enabled him to work in the medium that he enjoyed which is photography.

Best of luck, there are plenty of jobs and schools in the military. Find the right one that fits you and you'll be happy.

Quick Reply: Marine Corps or Air Force