Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air force members

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an air traffic controller at Sheppard AFB, so here's my take.

Join to be a controller, you can replace me cause I'm getting out in 5 weeks to join the FAA. Being a controller is awsome, the Air Force offers the highest bonus for controller's to try and compete w/ the FAA. If I didn't have family in the FAA, I'd be re-enlisting. The satisfaction/thrill of the job is undescribable.

Only about 20% of air traffic controllers are in a tower. Most of them work in a dark room w/o any windows working in front of a RADAR scope.

But being a controller isn't an easy job. We have a 50% washout rate, so if you don't make it, then you've just wasted about 2 years of your time, not to mention everyone else that was training you.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Don't be mad that you picked the wrong career field , just kidding.
He's right we are basically over paid janitors that sit in recliners/watch tv and wait for a run. If you have any qustions about the Firefighting career (FYI-- it is 3E7X1) field just pm me .

Kyle
I work in Fire Truck Maintenance. Fire men are some lazy mother fu**ers. Just joking , I just wish I could get paid to watch TV and lift wieghts all day!!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
I work in Fire Truck Maintenance. Fire men are some lazy mother fu**ers. Just joking , I just wish I could get paid to watch TV and lift wieghts all day!!
no kidding! i ask my buddies what they did today and they say, "took a nap, lifted some weights and made a sandwich..." lasy ***... the only down side is that they work 24 hours a day, every other day without being able to leave the station during their shift... and i hear that getting leave approved is a bitch... they have to schedule leave a year in advance! that's
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxspy

Join to be a controller, you can replace me cause I'm getting out in 5 weeks to join the FAA. Being a controller is awsome, the Air Force offers the highest bonus for controller's to try and compete w/ the FAA. If I didn't have family in the FAA, I'd be re-enlisting. The satisfaction/thrill of the job is undescribable.

Only about 20% of air traffic controllers are in a tower. Most of them work in a dark room w/o any windows working in front of a RADAR scope.

But being a controller isn't an easy job. We have a 50% washout rate, so if you don't make it, then you've just wasted about 2 years of your time, not to mention everyone else that was training you.
Yo what happens to a ATC when they accidentaly try to land a acft on another or make them come in towards each other? I have heard or these things happening before well quite recently anyways what happens to them? Slap on the wrist? LOR Art. 15?? I would hate to be in their shoes.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_98SS
no kidding! i ask my buddies what they did today and they say, "took a nap, lifted some weights and made a sandwich..." lasy ***... the only down side is that they work 24 hours a day, every other day without being able to leave the station during their shift... and i hear that getting leave approved is a bitch... they have to schedule leave a year in advance! that's
It's true about the work schedule but depending were you are stationed you get five days off in a row (at Seymour we get 3 days for every nine shifts worked). The leave situation is also true it depends on your station's manning which is but that's just the price you pay.

Seagraves#85---just remember one thing, we all get paid the same for any given rank. Which isn't fair to the guys/gals that work their *** off in some of the tougher/more demanding career fields. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I have a cake job because it isn't; although others may disagree. It's just some AFSC's have more down time than others
Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grave
So, how's the old B.I.O.T. anyways? Have the crabs taken over the island yet? I was there for OEF from Sept-01 thru Mar-02.
I just got to Tyndall after a 12mo sentence on the island. Actually wasn't too bad, tent city would have sucked but we had it good.

BTW..IYAAYAS
Old 12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
It's true about the work schedule but depending were you are stationed you get five days off in a row (at Seymour we get 3 days for every nine shifts worked). The leave situation is also true it depends on your station's manning which is but that's just the price you pay.

Seagraves#85---just remember one thing, we all get paid the same for any given rank. Which isn't fair to the guys/gals that work their *** off in some of the tougher/more demanding career fields. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I have a cake job because it isn't; although others may disagree. It's just some AFSC's have more down time than others
You're right. I work from 0700-1600 mon-fri except when sometimes some dumb-*** fireman calls me up on the weekend and tells me his truck wont start just for me to wake up go to the firestation and find out that he's trying to start the truck in Reverse We are one of few AF squadrons supporting the Army and going TDY to IRaq for 8 months doing convoy duty. So yea my job is cool know but when we deploy **** hits the fan!!
Most firemen are cool but some dont have a clue, they would rather be watching TV than learning thier jobs!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
We are one of few AF squadrons supporting the Army and going TDY to IRaq for 8 months doing convoy duty.
yeah, CE is now deploying with the army... my squadron just sent out like 30 people to go to wisconson or some **** like that for convoy training... and they saud that there's like 500+ people there... they'll then be flown to kuwait and then convoy into iraq for 8 months... we already had a team go and come back... i was supposed to go, but my supervisor said no... he went instead... and came back with like 25000 in the bank... and now the team that just left will come back with even more cash because the hazardous duty pay is going up from 250 to 750! bastards...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:26 PM
NKAWTG...N

Also only job in the airforce where an enlisted man can tell a pilot what to do and the pilot will listen . If I don't make pilot I'm going Air Base Management, which means I well get trained to do ATC as well.

Originally Posted by foxspy

Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Theres allot of people here that are giving crappy advice. Why do I know, because I did the recruiting job for 3 years, and I have 17 years experince in the service.
1st, get a guaranteed , in writing in your contract, prior to leaving MEPPS. Dont be a fool and think that the classifier is going to give you a list of five jobs, and you can pick later. Either get it then, or walk and go see another branch of the service. We all have good jobs/bad. Great bonuses, and bad. **** and good jobs. Its your life, your career. Think of who needs the most technical training. Generally its the Navy. Why, because there carriers for example, cant afford to have as many techs because of space, and need there techs to be more trained in the air craft. Submarines, need more people to be able to do more jobs.
Very few jobs are guranteed in the Air Force. A language person can be guranteed a school. For example, if you pass the DLAB, you can get a school in Monetery to become a language person. But, there hard to get. But great for the outside business world if you choose.
Army/Marines. You are a soldier first, and dont think otherwise, then you get a job. Look at there boo9t camps, and then you go to a Adnaved Individual Training, then to your technical area. Your still , generally, and ground pounder.
You probably chose the AF because its "easy". Well easy isnt going to get you a job in the outside worl. You better work hard, get promoted, and get your education through TA etc.
The military is what YOU make of it. Take advantage of the military, dont let it take advantage of you. Get a guranteed job, and do your best at it. If you cant get a guranteed job before going to Boot Camp, DONT go till they put it in your contract that you are guranteed the training for that MOS/RATE or whatever the AF calls it. Good luck, and thanks for joining regardless.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Yo what happens to a ATC when they accidentaly try to land a acft on another or make them come in towards each other? I have heard or these things happening before well quite recently anyways what happens to them? Slap on the wrist? LOR Art. 15?? I would hate to be in their shoes.

You'd lose your ratings and have to start training over again. That's on minor seperation errors. If planes actually hit and it's your fault, then you're looking at jail time.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

An air traffic controler,huh.........Damn, Lee. All this time I thought you were a drug dealer.........
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gold Z
An air traffic controler,huh.........Damn, Lee. All this time I thought you were a drug dealer.........
Well, I also have a "part time" job.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

I'm a Surgical Tech stationed at Kirtland AFB, NM. It's not too bad, I work 7am - 4pm Monday through Friday and have a part time job at Circuit City selling TV's.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

im a Jet Engine Mechanic on A-10s in Tucson, AZ at Davis-Monthan AFB.

i was stationed prior at RAF Lakenheath in England.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve40th
Theres allot of people here that are giving crappy advice. Why do I know, because I did the recruiting job for 3 years, and I have 17 years experince in the service.
1st, get a guaranteed , in writing in your contract, prior to leaving MEPPS. Dont be a fool and think that the classifier is going to give you a list of five jobs, and you can pick later. Either get it then, or walk and go see another branch of the service. We all have good jobs/bad. Great bonuses, and bad. **** and good jobs. Its your life, your career. Think of who needs the most technical training. Generally its the Navy. Why, because there carriers for example, cant afford to have as many techs because of space, and need there techs to be more trained in the air craft. Submarines, need more people to be able to do more jobs.
Very few jobs are guranteed in the Air Force. A language person can be guranteed a school. For example, if you pass the DLAB, you can get a school in Monetery to become a language person. But, there hard to get. But great for the outside business world if you choose.
Army/Marines. You are a soldier first, and dont think otherwise, then you get a job. Look at there boo9t camps, and then you go to a Adnaved Individual Training, then to your technical area. Your still , generally, and ground pounder.
You probably chose the AF because its "easy". Well easy isnt going to get you a job in the outside worl. You better work hard, get promoted, and get your education through TA etc.
The military is what YOU make of it. Take advantage of the military, dont let it take advantage of you. Get a guranteed job, and do your best at it. If you cant get a guranteed job before going to Boot Camp, DONT go till they put it in your contract that you are guranteed the training for that MOS/RATE or whatever the AF calls it. Good luck, and thanks for joining regardless.
navy has the most tech training? i dunno about that... i dunno about other jobs, but i know that at my tech school, the navy was there for about 6 weeks, while the Air Force is there for 6 months... and yes, "easy" will get you a job on the outside... i talk to people that leave my shop and are getting paid around $40 an hour... they get two or three job offers from large carporations, straight out of the "easy" Air Force... and i'm not knockin on the navy or anything, but i don't think there are many jobs out there that invlove loading big *** shells into a barrel... and it's an AFSC... that's what the Air Force calls it...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Dont be a wise *** like this guy^^^^^^ I had to talk a Cop out of taking his dumb *** to jail. Remember that, Jay??? When I was TDY to Wright Patt and you were going to that CF class. Dont be a Jay just remember that! Use Jay as a wrong expample he doesnt like authority But when you get some rank later on you will need to be a smart *** or people will run all over you.
yes! good times, good times. Guess what ryan I may see you sooner than later. I'm going to the 45th march 1st, when i get back from the desert not looking foward to leaving all the time, but I am to seeing places other than sand land. But I doubt I'll be there long, cedes is getting mandatory xtrained, and has no job at offutt. Were getting married in may, so maybe just maybe after 7 years the both of us will leave!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

wussup guys, im in the Vehicle Ops career AND DAMN DOES IT SUCK *****!!!!!!!

I have been to the desert about 4 times and i actually like being over ther more than i do CONUS (state side)

I have been to Balad, Al Jabber, PSAB, And my most favorite Eskan Villiage !!!! I hate it though, so i will be getting out in about 4 months, VANDENBERG SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your career, but do something that you can use in the civilian world (definately NOT my jobby)
Old 12-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Everyones always trying to make the USAF look bad. What makes you think that? I would rather be called an airman then a shipmate. Navy treats people like crap! So segregated. Im on a Navy base now and see this everyday I speak to a lot of the Navy people and majority of them say "I should have joined the Air Force.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Everyones always trying to make the USAF look bad. What makes you think that? I would rather be called an airman then a shipmate. Navy treats people like crap! So segregated. Iwas on a Navy and heard it everyday I spoke to a lot of the Navy people and majority of them say "I should have joined the Air Force.

Quick Reply: Air force members