Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

preparing to enlist

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redaddiction
I just graduated USMC boot 2 months ago pm me with any questions or concerns. You dont have to be in any kind of shape they will take care of that for you don't worry
we don't want a fat *** to enlist then we spend to much time making them lose weight. also if you're fat or over weight all you eat is salads and really lite stuff. no good food.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aggiez28
you dont have to do anythign to get ready, you dont need to go get in great shape or anything like that. you will be fine as long as your not a huge fat slob that cant even jog or somthing.

all you need to do is sign the papers and show up when its tiem to go.

things havnt changed since i went thought 6 years ago

brook

yeah it's changed
Old 03-03-2006, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Wink

Originally Posted by captaincamaro
im in ohio so ill be in parris island. so dont shoot? sounds good. i can run in the 80acre college near the Y where ill be lifting. i can do 12 pullups, 50-60 crunches, 30 pushups which i can improve a ton on in a year. my problem is the running. i run like an 8 minute mile, but i think the cross and running club will push me to keep up with the pack
what ever you do do not kill any of the sand flees that will keep you miserable. if you kill one make sure you know what sex it is if it has a family and who the parents are. then make sure you know how to do a furneral cause you will have one for the poor sand flee you just killed. and you platoon will be partaking in it. just a little advice
Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it's changed
care to say how.

as for being in the top of your class, it really dosnt matter. once your out of boot camp noone will care.
boot camp isnt really hard, its more just a pita. just put up with the BS and games and stuff and you will be fine.

brook
Old 03-03-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

well for starters you don't get ited for hours any more there's an actually time limit now, they've lightened up the crusiable. there's more changes than that and more coming down. the dis are limited on what they can do even more now than before. seeing that i just got of the streets i think i should know better than someone who was there 6 yrs ago. and as for you telling that kid don't worry about being in shape. if he can't pass the intial pft of to pcp plt he goes. if you're going to give advice about becoming a Marine don't tell him they'll fix him. you're just letting him go in to get f**ked with. to many time we see over weight people join and can't past the initial pft and end up starying at MCRD longer than they have to.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

The best advice i can give you is join the Air Force, but if you dont like that advice id tell you to start running and remeber when you go to basic, when they holler and scream at you its just a mind game, dont worry about, like the others said, do what your told when your told and do it with a sense of urgency. But what do i know, i went to Air Force boot camp
Old 03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the info guys. im not fat, maybe 15-20% a little heavier than id like but all the running will fix that.

i have a new question. what is the chance of me actually getting to do what i want? do i have a 100% certainty of doing what i want(as long as i pass everything)? will they tell me what to do even though id hate it(like cook, or anything where i cant fight)?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

After you take your asvab you can try to get a certain job depending on your score. Use whatever job you want as a bargaining tool with the recruiter. Just if he tells you something make sure IT IS THE CONTRACT before you sign it. What do you want to do in the Corps?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

i want to be in the infantry, then hopefully in time get my sniper designation(im not sure what its called) then id like to get into recon. and if theres any hope id like to go into that new SF in the marines
Old 03-03-2006, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

if you want to be in the infantry let the recruiter know now don'r wait and what ever you do dont go open contract. make sure that its all in writing and guaranted. the infantry jobs fill up fast and first. i'm a 0352 tow gunner. now im a 0369 plt sgt. after the asfab depending on the score he'll tell you whats the best route and the jobs you're qualified for. hey man if you're only going to do 4 make sure you do something that you cazn use outside. ie data, electronics or something that you can make a good living of off. just my .02
Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Infantry is easy to get in to. Sniper and recon are two seperate things. I strongly doubt you could do both. Never hurts to try just don't get your hopes up. I don't believe they will give you recon or sniper school on your contract you will have to ask your recruiter. I have no idea what SF is
Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

SF=special forces. and arent there snipers in Recon teams? okay so ill make sure the contract is all what i want it to be. i think i want to be a cop after i get out and hopefully get on SWAT somewhere where i can see alot of action
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Careful what you wish for.If you go the SF route don't plan on having a steady girlfriend for any amount of time and forget about being married unless you find a VERY understanding woman.Take it from someone who played the game for 15 years,just make sure that's what you want because that's all you are gonna have for a while.Don't even think about trying out if you are not in top physical shape,or you WILL fail.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

kk dude good luck on joining the green machine.

BUT if you are planning on going into recon you better be a swimming fool. I mean a fish in water, and you better not mind it being cold *** water too.

I could blather on about my experiences, but thats not the point. I wanna save you a bunch of heartache and put things about recon into perspective for you... (I dont wanna bust your bubble for you, but I wanna make sure you know what you are going into)

I cant stress to you the importance of your swimming ability. And running, peace of cake, the real gut check comes on the swims and on the endless humps. Do a TON of humps and swim at least 2 hours a day before you go in. Believe me I know what im talking about. Id reccomend swimming about 2k using the sidestroke or breast stroke those two strokes are your bread and butter. Tread water about 45 mins, do intervals with hands and without hands. Also ensure you can swim sidestroke holding a 10-20 pound diving brick out of the water for a distance of about 20m (we dropped ALOT of dudes b/c of this test.). Think of it as a sprint. You will be underwater the whole time with your arm extended keeping the brick above water. Swim like a mad man, and dont give up.

On Saturdays throw atleast 60lbs in a ruck and do atleast a 10k hump to condition your feet and raise your pain tolerance b/c after awhile humps wear on you.

Too all the guys who come to me with dreams of grandeor, I tell them that if they wanna go Recon take the 0311 route, not the Uniform Zulu reconniassance option (UZ). The UZ option only grants you 1 shot at recon indoc. If you **** that up, guess what... you will learn... REAL FAST like... the needs of the Marine Corps, if you arent smart enough you could end up with a **** MOS. With the 0311 option you are still in a combat arms MOS and have opportunities to be a scout sniper, Anglico, FAST, Recon. All you gotta do is get your command to let you try out. So if you go USMC, DEFINITELY go the 0311 route. I cant tell you how many dudes took the UZ route and ended up turning wrenches at Motor T (god bless them), b/c quite frankly your chances of succeeding are pretty slim, thats the nature of the beast (recon is no joke).

Lastly, if you are dead set upon being a SF (type of guy), go army. They have different tiers if you arent good enough to be SF, you go ranger, you arent good enough tobe a ranger be airborne, ect.. all the way down to a leg (ground infantry, no shame in that, I have met some hard *** legs). In the usmc you got Force Recon, Battallion Recon, and well the grunts (marine SF type units are tactical in nature not strategic, but Id rather be supporting a battallion of Marines than the other trash)

IMHO, TV has made too much glory out of being SF. Almost to the point that it is a slap in the face to the regular infantry. I have been at most levels, and tell you what, there are dudes in the "normal" grunts that are harder than some recon units. So dont buy into the whole "myth" thing.

Sorry for the long rant, but to be honest I shortened it alot b/c Im too lazy to write you a damn book. Dont blow it off b/c it could possibly save you alot of grief and heartache in the future.

Griff

Last edited by rgriffin; 03-04-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T-rex
Don't even think about trying out if you are not in top physical shape,or you WILL fail.
aye, physical condition is important, but I lend more creedance to someone who just wont quit. Alot of Iron Mikes never make it, b/c they cant pass the "gut check" test.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rgriffin
aye, physical condition is important, but I lend more creedance to someone who just wont quit. Alot of Iron Mikes never make it, b/c they cant pass the "gut check" test.
Very true.Determination plays a large part also.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah another thing. Be sure this is really what you wanna do, infantry is not for the weak of heart. You are gone all the time, if you arent deployed, you are getting ready to deploy, if you arent training, you are getting ready to train. Especially with the world events today, your op tempo will be pretty crazy.

The reason I respect everyone in combat arms, is b/c they have all given up the creature comforts we have become accustomed to. Many many nites in the freezing cold, no tent, no heat source. Hell I have spooned with a buddy to keep warm. You will be in the harsh desert, steaming your *** off in your bodyarmor, and basiclly be uncomfortable and agitated all the time. It isnt like the movies or the video games, you endure much hardship. At times you will question yourself and wonder why you ever took this path, but when you are out of the military, you will look back and say they were the best times of your life.... I was out shootin and lootin... while my poor schmuck friend was deciding which mini van he was gonna buy (lol took that from a navy commercial). Its true tho, we live hard, we party hard, and do a job that alot of people could not possibly complete. Such is the life of a warrior. The few... The proud...

Damn I think I got myself all motivated and ****...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rgriffin
Oh yeah another thing. Be sure this is really what you wanna do, infantry is not for the weak of heart. You are gone all the time, if you arent deployed, you are getting ready to deploy, if you arent training, you are getting ready to train. Especially with the world events today, your op tempo will be pretty crazy.

The reason I respect everyone in combat arms, is b/c they have all given up the creature comforts we have become accustomed to. Many many nites in the freezing cold, no tent, no heat source. Hell I have spooned with a buddy to keep warm. You will be in the harsh desert, steaming your *** off in your bodyarmor, and basiclly be uncomfortable and agitated all the time. It isnt like the movies or the video games, you endure much hardship. At times you will question yourself and wonder why you ever took this path, but when you are out of the military, you will look back and say they were the best times of your life.... I was out shootin and lootin... while my poor schmuck friend was deciding which mini van he was gonna buy (lol took that from a navy commercial). Its true tho, we live hard, we party hard, and do a job that alot of people could not possibly complete. Such is the life of a warrior. The few... The proud...

Damn I think I got myself all motivated and ****...
I feel you.I thought when I was going through all that **** I must have lost my friggin' mind.Like you said I look back now and I wouldn't trade the experiences and the friendships for anything.It also gives me a feeling of pride.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

and as for you telling that kid don't worry about being in shape. if he can't pass the intial pft of to pcp plt he goes. if you're going to give advice about becoming a Marine don't tell him they'll fix him. you're just letting him go in to get f**ked with. to many time we see over weight people join and can't past the initial pft and end up starying at MCRD longer than they have to.
you did read my initial post right??? you may want to go reread it.

it basicly said he dosnt need to get into great shape. as long as your not a huge fat *** or somthign you will be fine.
if your just an avg joe you should be fine.

it seems alot of people think they need to get into tip top shape befoer they go to boot camp (not that thats a bad thing) but its not true, as long as your avg you will be fine.

brook
Old 03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aggiez28
you did read my initial post right??? you may want to go reread it.

it basicly said he dosnt need to get into great shape. as long as your not a huge fat *** or somthign you will be fine.
if your just an avg joe you should be fine.

it seems alot of people think they need to get into tip top shape befoer they go to boot camp (not that thats a bad thing) but its not true, as long as your avg you will be fine.

brook
dude i read your post. well you need to be specific about that cause we get poeple he and they say yeah i meet a Marine that told me don't worry about getting into shape, so here i am joe fat ***. all i'm saying is if you're giving advice make sure they understand what you're saying and there aint any gray area for them. just like most things in the corps keep it simple stupid (KISS). no hard feelings though. i just hate when some people give advice about **** they dont know about.

Quick Reply: preparing to enlist