Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Enlist in Green Berets or Marines???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griff,

I will pm you about Det-1. I agree with being a trailer but I have seen regular Ranger go in on Tier 1 missions as trailers and get some good action out of it. Yeah it is dirty work and sometimes kind of crappy but one of my Ranger buddies said it is a good way to get your foot in the door!

Originally Posted by rgriffin
packy,
what happened to Det-1? I know we gotta maintain OPSEC but is this still in works or was it redesignated to MARSOC? I hope we dont shift all of our assets to a unit designed to be strategic in nature, i prefer tactical b/c thats one of the reasons the USMC units are so good at kicking tail.

everyone else,
I agree with much of what packy had to say other than the trailer part... being a trailer sucks (and you know this packy). I really dont put much value into the whole "name/branch" of SF. If you are SOFD-D/SF/SEAL/Recon/PJ ect you have taken the hard road and have gone above and beyond. It depends on which organization you feel you would fit better in.

thats my 2 cents..

Griff
Old 03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Packy
Griff,

I will pm you about Det-1. I agree with being a trailer but I have seen regular Ranger go in on Tier 1 missions as trailers and get some good action out of it. Yeah it is dirty work and sometimes kind of crappy but one of my Ranger buddies said it is a good way to get your foot in the door!
It's alot easier to get in that way now.When I went in it was invitation only.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-rex
It's alot easier to get in that way now.When I went in it was invitation only.
That is because everyone is getting out to do other things!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

here on schofield (25th in div) theyre having recruiting meetings and such too
Old 03-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Or dying.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

heh.. the civilan companys doing PSDs are paying great loot. And the money is luring alot away.

But then again, if I was in thier shoes id prolly do it too.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I checked out Triple Canopy.Just from a phone conversation bsed on my experience was gonna get me about 1 grand a day.My wife told me if I did don't bother calling home.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-rex
Or dying.
I hear you on that. Not the preferred method that is for sure.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Launching!

No.Not at all.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Launching!

I've gone the SF route as well. Off the street as an 18X contract. This is NOT an easy way to go about it. But if you feel like fast tracking and such, go ahead and try it. If I didn't do this though, i'd probably have tried to get a Ranger contract. If you want to do something like CAG you'll have to wait a bit and then go to CAG selection. I'm pretty sure you have to be SSG or above and have at least four years of service before that though. Starting out in SF though you have four MOS choices. 18B-Weapons/ 18C-Engineer/Demo/ 18D-Medical/ 18E-Commo. 18D is the longest of them all, and we are talking about two and a half to three years of schooling. That is total time mind you, including basic training and airborne school.

Just like everyone has said, make sure you have a plan, and figure out what YOU want to do and do plenty of research! My wife has had a hard time through all of my training, but she is an exception to the rule I suppose. SF wives are a different breed. Just gotta find the right woman, mostly it is as family oriented as it can be.

Later,
Jon
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^ I took that route too, I thought I was ready but man did they wake me up with some of the strange **** we did. Ever put some coffee in your eyes to stay awake? lol
Old 03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jon B.
I've gone the SF route as well. Off the street as an 18X contract. This is NOT an easy way to go about it. But if you feel like fast tracking and such, go ahead and try it. If I didn't do this though, i'd probably have tried to get a Ranger contract. If you want to do something like CAG you'll have to wait a bit and then go to CAG selection. I'm pretty sure you have to be SSG or above and have at least four years of service before that though. Starting out in SF though you have four MOS choices. 18B-Weapons/ 18C-Engineer/Demo/ 18D-Medical/ 18E-Commo. 18D is the longest of them all, and we are talking about two and a half to three years of schooling. That is total time mind you, including basic training and airborne school.

Just like everyone has said, make sure you have a plan, and figure out what YOU want to do and do plenty of research! My wife has had a hard time through all of my training, but she is an exception to the rule I suppose. SF wives are a different breed. Just gotta find the right woman, mostly it is as family oriented as it can be.

Later,
Jon
Outstanding post Jon. Each service has similar training and does a similar job in the realm of Special Forces (within reason). Chances are if you make it you'll attend training from all services at some point (diving, freefall, CAS, sniper, etc) - Just to mention a few. Hell, we're all attatched to SOCOM and work for the same bosses. As far as guys trying to tell you its impossible to be married or have a family, well, they've seen too many movies. It's harder than a normal marriage no doubt, but very managable. The best you can do is research everything you can. You can't really go wrong with any choice. Do I have my preference? Of course. Does someone else have their's? Sure. Train hard. Focus yourself. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LoWeLL216
As far as guys trying to tell you its impossible to be married or have a family, well, they've seen too many movies. It's harder than a normal marriage no doubt, but very managable. The best you can do is research everything you can.
I wouldnt jump so far into the fire as to make that statement, I suppose it depends on the person and maybe you have a great wife that is super loyal and we should all be so lucky but unfortunately some of us arent. I happened to get married to a very loyal girl such as you seem to have so through all my training she was very supportive and never showed the hard aspect of it, but on the flip side I saw a lot of guys getting "dear john" letters from thier wives or brides to be.

I'd say with all the advice given in the thread take what you can but for the most part the decision is yours, while some might hate a certain aspect that aspect may be what his battle loves, you just have to go for it and experience it for yourself. One mans garbage is another mans treasure I suppose, you have to decide if its gonna be garbage or treasure for yourself.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Teching In

You first need to find out if the military is for you. Join the Marines...if you make it through boot camp and you like the lifestyle, then you can go through an indoc. No one signs up to be army SF...its a calling that you follow your heart to find. You need to see if you can even make it though boot camp before you start thinking you are going to be some kind of high speed recon/sf/seal bubba.

Semper Fi
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardswb
You want to see what you're made of from day one? Enlist in the Marine Corps. We do it all. "Air, Land, and Sea." You want to be special forces eventually? Once you have passed your school and gone on to join your unit, try out for Recon. Recon will take Marines from any m.o.s. provided they can pass the test. The best from recon, go on to Force Recon. Then there is the new Marine Corps Special Forces which will be the best of the best. You will have to be one internally driven, motivated s.o.b. to make it and like it. You gotta make it through boot camp first.

Cpl Edwards.
USMC
In the sand.
Anymore info on this new SF?? I got out of active in 97 and reserve side in 2000 so I am way behind on the Corps new things! I'd say if your into spending time in the field and shooting weapons and want a respectable name it's the Corp. "IF" you have the intestinal fortitude and physical ability go for recon. I thought about it but was not willing to be in the 'field" so much. PS boot camp will let you know if you want the hardcore life.

Semper Fi leather necks and keep up the good work to the rest of you guys!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Wow... lots of experience and opinions. I have never had as much fun, fear and pain as I did when I was with 2Batt at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Hard life, but worth it. Divorce is always a problem, but not as rampant as some believe. I had 4 children (5 now) and a wife who made it fine. I'm the one who suffered, as did all Dads, by missing out on irreversible missed moments with growing babies. I made rank VERY fast, I heard someone correctly say "fasttrack", and enjoyed being a Ranger Sergeant. Later I managed to revert to my origional MOS as a computer and land combat missile dweeb. When you go Special Ops, the calls are yours for the making, and when you're tired, you generally meet little resistance in reclassing. I have to say, however, that to make a blanket statement that Marines are better trained than Army soldiers is uninspired by anything except blind devotion. I trained, personally, many Marines at NTC and 29 Palms (where were all of those palms, by the way), and most of all of the support roles (MOS's) and Airborne and Air Assault schools for the Marines were trained ONLY by Army soldiers. SO! If the Marines are that good, would that not infer that the Army is better because a good portion of Marine training was done by Army forces? I have NEVER liked the traditional headbashing done between the seperate services, and certainly intend no offense, here, just making a small point to individuals who make blanket statements of one service over another. Whatever RrCox22 decides to do will be the best decision... for him! Charge hard, my young brother, and you will soon become a proud member of a intense brotherhood. A brother in arms.

Bill
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't joing a field because to the "cool factor" from the movies. Join field that you think you will be able to use after you get out or if you get out.

Something you think you will enjoy.

I am an Aviation Electronics Technician in the Navy.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Launching!

We all bleed the same colors-RED, WHITE AND BLUE.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Marine Corp uses Army, Navy & Airforce foe certian MOS's, so I guess they would all be better than the Corp??? It's not so much were you get your MOS training but the way the Corp manages to function. Remember the Corp whoops *** with **** that was used in Vietnam for god sakes, we get hand me downs and have no where near the cool toys nor the budget to aquire these toys. so why then are the Marines such a feared and efficient bunch? It's starts from day 1 in boot camp. Not saying the other branches suck at all but I'd take 10 regular Marines in combat over 10 Regs in any other branch. Every branch has it's greatness in one area and we all dpened on each other. with the Corp being so small in troop size we need the Army to come in and hold down the fort so we can move on, we need the Navy to get us there and provide long range bombing via ships and planes. We need that great intle from the Airforce and they have a greta bunch of rescue guys! All branches have a pretty bad *** SF to debate the best would come down to opinion and dumb arguments.

I say chose the Branch that you desire the most after intense research and get a good MOS. I loved the corp because I learned how to use Computers and shoot everything from a m16, 249 saw, m60, Mark 19, grenades, claymores etc.............Every Marine is a rifle man first, that is what I liked. You just dont get stuck in your MOS.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I see there are alot of opinions and both good and bad info. I currently work w/ a certain organization here in Iraq and for the most part, the life of any USASOC, or SOCOM unit, in general, is getting tougher. The SFAS course has changed dramatically. Now it's a training school rather than a selection course. It used to be an evaluation course. Now they actually train you to do the things (land nav, etc)
To the starter of this thread. My advice is sign up for a 2 yr contract on the Ranger option. You will be MOS 11B, but will have the cahnce to go to ranger school and will most likely be asssigned to a Ranger Bat. But prepare to be abused until you EARN that Tab.
For others looking for those "outside jobs" All the "contractors" here are making good money, BUT, for the most part, they don't make it long enough to spend it. Especially if you're in the Taji / Baghdad area. And Fallujah / Ramadi isn't exactly Green pastures either.

The new Marine unit that is being designed is called MARSOF. So far, there are some very promising young marines that will qualify. Basically, it will be like a Ranger company. About a 100 man Co that will be broken down into teams of about 6 -20-100 men depending on mission requirements.
SEALS are great guys. Don't think that they are jsut Sea worthy cause their Navy. I train with these guys all the time and they are just as good on land as in the water.
And Gentlemen. observe OPSEC!!!!! this is not the Redside, though the color of LS1 tech is red.

Quick Reply: Enlist in Green Berets or Marines???