Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the Army

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joined the Army

Hey just figured I would post up. I joined the U.S. Army yesterday, got swore in at the MEPS in Houston. I am a 25S Satellite Communications, got a $20K EB and my $35K GI Bill. I am leaving on Feb. 7th for BT in South Carolina and after that 17 weeks in Georgia for AIT. I am pretty excited, and a little nervous so I figured I would get on here and ask if anyone has any advice about anything?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it's been almost 15 years since i went to BT but all i can say about that is, just do what your told ( it's all a mind game) and start running now! It will be easier on you.

Good luck and welcome to the "gang"
Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my advice: open up a mutual fund and start saving NOW! Number 2 come in with the mindset to serve at least 20 years. After 20 years you get a retirement check for life.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

lol SC is gonna suck, Jackson sucks ***** but it's easy physically

Gordon sucks even more, you'll find yourself eating a whole lot of that crappy *** pizza joint but they have an arcade and plasma tvs so it's alright. DONT get with an army chick unless its just to ****! and watch out for the gold diggers, theyre bad around military installations
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah but don't get with any girl even if it's just to **** during BCT. During my time at FLW in Missouri two couples thought it'd be a good idea to get down on an FTX. This was our first one but by the time graduation came around, everyone knew, including all the Drill Sgts and Co. Commander. Needless to say, they all got Article 15s and rank reduction. So don't even bother. I'm told AIT is a different story so I'll assume that's what 1gen means.

If I could have done one thing prior to leaving that would be running. I hate running so much. I basically did pushups, which I was already decent at, because I was expecting to get dropped all the time. Same with situps, I was already decent at them too and knew they're part of the APFT. I think I ran/walked 2 miles once and did a couple jogs before going. That was the wrong choice for me. Now I seriously recommend to you to be good at all three events before going. If I was in better shape prior, I would have had a better time there.

Looking back this is not a big deal, in fact I could really care less, but I know when I was sitting in the barracks it was a downer. Our D. Sgts. would give out passes provided you had passed the APFTs prior to the final APFT. I suck at running, I didn't get a pass. Twice because of this. Do you know how long those freetime periods were? 6 hours. So if there's a system like this while you're there, make sure you're good to go. In addition I was selected for additional PT every other day just before the sun went down. This was a PITA for me because the reason I was there was because I was a slowpoke, but we practically never ran. Again, while people were otherwise chilling in the barracks, I'm outside getting excercised. (I'm not a fatboy though and by the final APFT I got a 14:30 two mile.)

BCT is broken down into 3 phases, red, white, and blue. When you graduate that's green and then during AIT there are black and gold phases. Red - the sucky stage, white - the not so sucky stage, and blue - hey we're about finished who cares stage.
When you arrive to the base you'll go through another experience much like going back to MEPS again. You'll stay a week at reception battalion where D. Sgts. who have elected not to train BCT companies will give you a little prep so that you won't be a complete Gomer Pyle when your training really starts.

Now when it does, just let **** roll off you. The best attitude you can have is more or less like stone but not so much so that you're being a tough guy because that is the worst thing you can do. Either that or crying I would imagine. Don't look the D. Sgts in the eye and don't include their name when you speak to them. No excuses, it's yes/no, and remember to start or end what you say with Drill Sergeant.

You'll be put to do activities as tests of how quick you can get things done. They are made for you to fail, reguardless of how well you've done it. Then you will get smoked, those are the punishment excercises, for failing. It's not what you've all done wrong, it's not the time limit, it's just to **** with you. During our red phase we got our barracks tossed - bunks all fucked up, latrines (they are not bathrooms during Basic Training!) made into a mess, and garbage everywhere. This all for not having boots in line or bunks not properly made.

You'll see changes in the Drill Sergreant's attitudes as the time and phases progress but they're not your buddy. So don't be a joker and think otherwise. I'd say that more or less things stayed the same all the way through except they yelled less and at times would be open and joke with us during mail call.

Now for me something that helped prepare me were two books about basic training. Yes, I actually bought books and read them. I do not come from a military family and had no one to ask questions to. If you would like the titles/authors post back and I'll let you know. They did help me a lot as far as knowing what would be going on and why. In this respect, nothing really surprised me while I was there.

I'll tell you you've got a good advantage as far as ship dates go and I'll tell you why. I went during the summer months and besides the heat/humidity of Missouri the real downer was that I was with a real immature bunch of mostly 17 year olds. (Parents co-sign a contract and a HS junior is right there with you.) Now there's nothing wrong with that, definately not, it's just a real pain when you're with a buncha clowns that **** you over one way or another. You'll understand. But you won't have this problem because during February school starts up again.

I believe I've typed a lot in this quick reply box but if you've got specific questions or would like me to expand somewhere, I'd be more than happy to.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got almost a month before you leave, spend it doing pushups, situps and running instead of drinking and smoking dope. If you get there in shape you'll already have an edge over the fat asses. Keep a low profile, don't go there with a street gansta wannabe attitude and do what you're told. I was a drill sergeant at Ft. Jackson and I ate the ones with a punk *** attitude for lunch. Expect to get screamed at. Expect to get smoked when other people screw up. I was always amazed by all the kids who actually seemed shocked that we dare yell at them lol. And with your MOS, you will have female drills so get used to the fact a chick will smoke you haha. Good luck man.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the advice, keep it coming!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

You picked a great MOS. If you decide to re_up after your first enlistment you will probably get another cash bonus like your enlistment bonus.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
what a rush!

Congrats bro!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah fawk I wish I got a bonus like that. Didn't know satellites were a critical MOS. I thought infantry and a couple other dangerous MOSes were the ones with bonuses.

Perhaps tomorrow after I've had lunch or something I'll post up some more stuff.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

welcome to the military.

have fun.
as stated above try to set up a savings where part of your paycheck gets invested. i wish somone would have told me this when i enlisted.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25S or use to be called 31S is a good MOS to get. Satelite communications is vital to what we do know.

It's a More technically challenging job then Infintry PLUS, the Army has a Hard time retaining it's trained Operators because the civilian sector pay's nicely for the experience.

Ok. Always have a Can- Do attitude. Be prompt and Curtious/Repectful to those of higher rank. Don't necessarily kiss-***, but don't be a punk-*** kid either.

Ask every Q you can think of now. You'll be suprised how the Military Life is different.

Also, Expect to go somewhere you are going to be deployed. With the Short stock of troops, and the high optempo, everyone is getting deployed out here in Iraq.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CoRNFeD Z
Hey just figured I would post up. I joined the U.S. Army yesterday, got swore in at the MEPS in Houston. I am a 25S Satellite Communications, got a $20K EB and my $35K GI Bill. I am leaving on Feb. 7th for BT in South Carolina and after that 17 weeks in Georgia for AIT. I am pretty excited, and a little nervous so I figured I would get on here and ask if anyone has any advice about anything?
Congrats and thanks for joining. I feel you pick a good MOS 25S can lead to great job if you decide to leave the Army after you enlistment. I have been in 15 years now and joining the Army was the best thing I ever did. I was stationed over in Germany for 2 1/2 years while in the regular Army. I was able to travel all over Germany as well as Paris, France and Amsterdam, Holland. I meet a lot of great people who are some of my best friends today. I joined the National Guard back in 1993 and was able to earn my college degree because the Guard helped paid for it. I was also deployed for a couple of years 2002 - 2004 in support of Operation Noble Eagle and was able to buy my 2001 Camaro SS. The Army provides great oppurtanities for all that take advantage of them. I wish you the best as you begin you Army career.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

I want to thank that mos, when I was in Iraq that had enough CAT V to link up 4 tents for some 16 MAN HALO!! and I also go to use the internet 6 month after the war started. Pretty quick
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Relaxn jackson.. i wen to benning.. 11B but do what your told its all a mind game and Drills lie alot. With the recycle BS ya dont believe it you could go to sick call everyday and still graduate i bet...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
Relaxn jackson.. i wen to benning.. 11B but do what your told its all a mind game and Drills lie alot. With the recycle BS ya dont believe it you could go to sick call everyday and still graduate i bet...
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try and explain that. Ft. Jackson is said to be the easiest base for BCT. This is probably because they have stress cards that can get you out of a situation if you can't handle it for some reason. I do not know if they still have them, one of the drill sergeants I see every month told me they don't have them when he went there. I dunno though. When they talk about recycling people as you near the end of basic, it is for the most part some bs to motivate you. See, you'll be nervous during the beginning, get used to it, and as it winds down you may just be relaxed. Well now they tell you they're gonna recycle people that don't have their **** together. See? Now I will say this, yeah it's true, you can basically go to sick call all the f-in time and graduate. I swear to God I was so pissed when they let these broads that joined because their boyfriends were in the Army graduate. They got trucked out for marches and went to sick call a dozen times. I had nothing against women in the military prior to that, and I don't today in terms of the ones I know, but in the frame of mind I had for BCT - I thought they were completely worthless. If they ever get put to do something other than the administrative jobs they signed up for, then yeah they will be useless.

However, sick call rangers aside, you can get recycled. You will can be recycled for: Failing the Final APFT and failing your M16A2 rifle qualification. Now if you do fail these events, it will suck, but don't be worried. There were probably 20 people combined in my BCT company that failed those. You will be trucked away from the rest of the company at random times to repeat that. For example, when everyone is cleaning their gear to turn in, if you failed the APFT then you'll do it again. If you failed BRM, you'll go out to qualify again.

Now you might be wondering what did happen at the end of my cycle. Yes, there were some people who did not graduate with us. One person who escaped the base and fled to another state did not graduate. One person who turned out to be anemic did not graduate. This was a female on sick call alllllll the time. There were others who were close to her record but they graduated. Then again they didn't really have anything wrong with them. One person who failed BRM and one person who failed the final APFT three times did not graduate either. Also, there was one guy who had a cyst in his wrist about halfway through who got sent home for surgery and will have to start from scratch when he goes back to BCT. As well as a female who snapped one shin bone. She was a badass though and I was so dissapointed that she had to go home. Dunno what happened to her after that. There was also another female who injured her elbow one of our last obstacle courses and couldn't do some of the required activities, she DID graduate. She was also one of the females in my platoon that actually put forth effort.

It is in the best interests of the drill sergeants and commanders of any BCT company to graduate as many recruits as they can and they will attempt to help you if you cannot pass.

Depending on if you signed up for Active duty or as a reservist you may/may not be recycled while you are still on the base. For example, there was a junior in highschool who signed up split-option. Because he has to graduate highschool to meet Army standards, he has to go back to school to work on his senior year and return again after graduation for AIT. For this he was given a mandatory return date. As it so happened, he was put into another company that was working on BRM at the time so he could attempt to qualify again and still return home on time. Don't know what happened to him as I was gone already.

So I hope this second long *** message helped clear up some confusion. If you've got any questions I'm still pretty fresh out of basic. I did it 6 months ago and I did keep a journal of EVERY day there. I went to a different base, Leonard Wood, and while all basic trainings are the same, they're also all different. Heh.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Teching In

in response to smokeySS, Jackson didn't have them when I went almost 4 years ago but ya never know they might have come back. and I was one of those PT failures up untill graduation day, when I finally passed the run. The DS's will do what they can to help you but remember there are alot of new soldiers and just a few DS's.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Junkie

The hardest part of BCT is just being seperated from everything and everyone, a lot of people get there and they're all like "oh my god what did I get myself into, I wanna go home WAHHHHHHH" Dont be like that, suck it up, it all ends so soon that when you look back on it you wont think anything of it.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:35 AM
12 Second Club

Keep a low profile... Try not to get singled out by any of the Drill Sergeants... Don't let the DSG's get in your head either... Just take whatever they give you in stride no matter how much it sucks... Follow all the rules, girls will get you in trouble in Basic. Don't fall asleep in any of the classes no matter how good you think you can hide it... You'll be in the Elevated Front Leaning Rest for awhile to wake you up It'll all be over before you know it and you'll feel like you can accomplish anything when your finished..

And watch Reconnaissance Man with Danny Devito before you go... Then Victory Tower will look familiar when you get there...

You're taking a similar path that I took... I went to Jackson for BCT and Gordon for AIT... Be prepared for Gordon's humidity... it's horrible... You just about have to change t-shirts just from marching to school from the barracks... I was a 74B - Information Systems Operator/Analyst... Anything computer or comms related is cool because you will get internet access before anyone else and my office in Germany was only one of two that had AC because of the Servers we had, the other was the COL's. office.

SAVE SAVE SAVE Money... Don't make any BIG purchases... Almost everything you need will be provided for you: Food, Shelter, Transportation...

And travel if you get the chance... I reget not traveling when I was stationed in Germany...

And the better you are off physically before you go, the easier your time will be... Oh, and don't take a lot of clothes and stuff with you... You'll never see it until you are a few weeks into AIT. They had different Phases I, II, III, and IV when I went through AIT in 2000. Each phase takes a few weeks to get and each you get a little more freedom...

Start learning the phoetic alphabet... Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, etc... Always salute anyone will "shiny" rank unless you are in the field...

Good luck! And don't forget taxes will be taken out of your montly pay and your bonuses... So be prepared for that...

Quick Reply: Joined the Army