Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was at MCRD San Diego back in Dec of 92 we started with 81 recruits in my platoon. Only 40 of us graduated and that's with picking up 8 recruits in 3rd phase. My DI's actually got in trouble for dropping so many recruits (1/2 of what the entire company dropped). 3 of the 4 were grunts and had just got back from Iraq and didn't want anyone sliding thru Bootcamp easily.

They hit us, cussed us out, called us every name in the book. I hated it at first, but towards the end I realized they were doing us a favor by weeding out the recruits that couldn't hack it. Doing what they did probably saved a few lives.

I hope the trend of making boot camp easier is reversed because they are not doing anyone a favor by taking it easy on them.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
So step off the high horse for a minute

IMO though the Army was the easiest job I ever had. I know so many soldiers that smoked dope, got caught multiple times, and were allowed to stay in. So yeah i guess the army is kinda soft.
Don't think anyone is on a high horse because they talk about how much easier basic training becomes through the years. Which it in fact does. You sound like you were in a piece of **** pogue unit
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have seen plenty of idiots that have a combat patch. personally that patch means nothing to me but 'I was there". I have seen great NCO's that can lead and do a great job without one. Hell my commander has one and he is about to lose his career for stupid ****. Not taking care of NCO's and DS's. So what does that say? Maybe that is the Marine Rifleman in me. Then again I did my time in the sand and mud too as a Marine infantryman. However none of that will dictate how good or bad of a NCO I am. it comes from my heart.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Look at todays AT paper.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by blackfang
However none of that will dictate how good or bad of a NCO I am. it comes from my heart.
Well said.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Look at todays AT paper.
Come on, get off your high horse j/k. Read that yesterday. Made me sick. The people who make the decisions for those changes will never admit it, but it is all about meeting a higher quota, not improving the soldiers like that article tried to insinuate. It quoted someone saying the kids today can "multitask" or some bs, so they shouldn't be stressed as much. That don't mean **** when you get ambushed, stop in the killzone and your NCO tells you to get out and fight when all you want to do is curl up and cry.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Don't think anyone is on a high horse because they talk about how much easier basic training becomes through the years. Which it in fact does. You sound like you were in a piece of **** pogue unit
Yeah I was in a pouge unit, lol. I never said it didnt get easier, it does. I would bet i have done more **** when I was in than you but thats another issue.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Come on, get off your high horse j/k. Read that yesterday. Made me sick. The people who make the decisions for those changes will never admit it, but it is all about meeting a higher quota, not improving the soldiers like that article tried to insinuate. It quoted someone saying the kids today can "multitask" or some bs, so they shouldn't be stressed as much. That don't mean **** when you get ambushed, stop in the killzone and your NCO tells you to get out and fight when all you want to do is curl up and cry.
You are correct, its all about numbers and quotas, thats what most officers get judged on, NUMBERS. Most NCO's could care less about that kind of **** and they are forced to be easy on recruits by superiors.

You sound like the typical retarted infantryman that could do nothing else in life so your joined the army and could only get in as a grunt due to low aptitude. You think you are better than anyone who is non combat arms, but we laugh at you guys while you are crawlin around in mud doing stupid **** all the time. Not all of you are as arragant as you, but its ones like you you give the stereotype.

Last edited by brad8266; 04-13-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

I understand each gen of troops saying the next is soft but for fawks sake , celly, mp3's etc........?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I understand each gen of troops saying the next is soft but for fawks sake , celly, mp3's etc........?
Im sure they dont do that **** in basic.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

It is funny how they interviewed just FT jackson and not other posts. I am sure we at the 14th MP BDE would have a different opinion.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Im sure they dont do that **** in basic.
I am sure they do
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am sure they do
So you have firsthand knowledge of recrutis being allowed to use cell phones and that type of ****??? It is kinda hard to believe that it has went so far in the last few years.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Hasn't this been the case for awhile now, that non-combat MOSs have an easier basic training ? I know when I was in from 93-96 as an 19D (Cav. Scout), I was always hearing rumors that non-combat MOSs had an easier time during basic. I truly believe if this is true, the Army is nailing the coffin for alot of soldiers. The Iraq war has no frontlines and the next war will probably be the same, so if the soldier is going to be direct support, they have to be tough and know what it is to be an infantry soldier. From my experience, the combat MOS guys just seemed alot tougher then the known combat soldiers. I would have really loved to see a support platoon forced marched 20 miles up and down hills with 100lbs on there backs ... <--- 100 percent fallout rate !!!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I love about the Corp, every Marine is a rifleman.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is BS I went through basic in November 2000 till feb 2001. We didnt get to have ****, none of this cell phone personal accy ****. Mostly everyone hated it but I thought basic was one of the best parts of the army. Not coed either. We went through the same basic that everyone else did, except the combat arms guys that do OSUT. Basic was not as soft as is being described here, although i am sure it has changed since then because of the wars that are going on since they need as many troops as they can get.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

So you have firsthand knowledge of recrutis being allowed to use cell phones and that type of ****??? It is kinda hard to believe that it has went so far in the last few years.
I am a Drill Sergeant and i have seen **** worse than that. How about stopping 9mm training to take Privates to a ******* concert b/o of the BDE CDR!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Black I feel awful for you, how the fug are you supposed to train combat ready troops?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

They dont give a damn and we are MP's one of the most deployed soldiers in the Army. All we can do is hope that our fellow NCO's can get a hold of them before they deploy. I have 3 weeks left here.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

Lets keep the conversations on the Newer, kinder, gentler Army training and not the mine beats your BS. If you want to compare your ERB's email them to eachother.

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.