Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
If you work with recruiters then you know the Army is meeting it's recruiting goals.

i work with them but i do not look at their goals or stats. not my job. i just hear their headaches and some of the common questions they are asked on a daily basis.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackfang
I am a Drill Sergeant and i have seen **** worse than that. How about stopping 9mm training to take Privates to a ******* concert b/o of the BDE CDR!
HAHA concerts that pretty funny!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hold up now, don't make fun of the "easy basic" crap. Look at the tech schools these days. My Marine friend went on and on about how easy his basic was. He shut the hell up after 16 weeks of infantry school. He apparently had to do another 12 weeks of infantry training 6 months later to but I am not in contact with him anymore.

Basic teaches you just how screwed you are and that you don't have anymore say about what goes on in your life. Plus it screens candidates, otherwise it is a waste of freakin' money for the government. No real training can happen in basic compared to tech school.

Plus the real reason it is easier is to reduce the number of injuries

My wife was knocked over by a moron in FTX training in basic and when then trampled by a bunch of morons that couldn't stop running down a rocky hill. She was out for a month healing is being held until she can pass her run.

Ahhhh sorry, my wife has been in basic for the last 2.5 months because because of that she graduates next week. She passed her run finally, still has trouble walking though.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:43 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
No real training can happen in basic compared to tech school.
How can you say this? Boot camp is where you learn discipline, to immediately follow orders without questioning them (necessary on a battlefield), to adapt quickly to changing situations, to cope with stress and exhaustion, to fit in quickly with a group of strangers and work cohesively as a team, and for a few, develop leadership skills they will need as future NCOs.

Tech school or MOS school is highly specialized. I learned FDC for six weeks and that was it. That is not half of what my job actually entails.

And of course boot camp is for a lot of people, myself included, the place where we get into shape from being lazy *** civilians. If boot camp would not have been what it was, there would be a much fatter Marine typing this.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

it has been a historical fact where people who have been in a real life threatening situation have resorted to what they were taught in basic training to stay alive. I remember back in 96 when a Marine went overboard on a carrier at night and he stayed afloat in the indian ocean for days because of what he learned in recruit training.

Today alot of Soldiers and Marines go right into combat right from basic and MOS/AIT. They learn just the basics here. The real training begins at their units. However many do not get that luxury.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black i knew that guy, not well but met him via a friend! MSG USMC boot camp is a little different from the other branches. The others get more serious during their mos schooling depending on MOS.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msgZ28
How can you say this? Boot camp is where you learn discipline, to immediately follow orders without questioning them (necessary on a battlefield), to adapt quickly to changing situations, to cope with stress and exhaustion, to fit in quickly with a group of strangers and work cohesively as a team, and for a few, develop leadership skills they will need as future NCOs.

Tech school or MOS school is highly specialized. I learned FDC for six weeks and that was it. That is not half of what my job actually entails.

And of course boot camp is for a lot of people, myself included, the place where we get into shape from being lazy *** civilians. If boot camp would not have been what it was, there would be a much fatter Marine typing this.
Basic is where you have to do what you are told. Enlisted training does not involve ANY adaptation you just follow a set regime. There is no coping with stress it is learning to just go through it by pushing yourself NOT coping. Coping is learning how to deal with it not just to survive it.

As far as fitting in with strangers, most people would kill the guys they went to basic with if they had to stay there another 2 weeks.

It's just a cluster of in-processing, shots, and trying to march 60 guys back and forth from one meeting to another.

I mean be real, don't be all urah about it, the military doesn't use it to train anyone. It is used to in-process and scare the crap out of people so that they understand that they aren't in control anymore.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Basic is where you have to do what you are told. Enlisted training does not involve ANY adaptation you just follow a set regime. There is no coping with stress it is learning to just go through it by pushing yourself NOT coping. Coping is learning how to deal with it not just to survive it.
As far as fitting in with strangers, most people would kill the guys they went to basic with if they had to stay there another 2 weeks.
It's just a cluster of in-processing, shots, and trying to march 60 guys back and forth from one meeting to another.
I mean be real, don't be all urah about it, the military doesn't use it to train anyone. It is used to in-process and scare the crap out of people so that they understand that they aren't in control anymore.
I'm not trying to be all oohrah about it, but the more experience I get, the more I realize how important boot camp was for me. There is adaptation in boot camp. For example, during the crucible, every time we came up on an obstacle the DI's stepped back and said figure it out. If we were doing good, they would stop us and change the rules on how we were allowed to complete it to see how we would adapt. There were a lot of other times when the DI's stepped back and let us figure everything out. Also, I had made good friends with nearly everyone in my platoon by the end of boot camp. There were a couple I wanted to kill though. It may not be as important as it used to be, but it is still very important for the development of servicemen.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
HAHA concerts that pretty funny!
Pretty funny to you......not too most of the people in this thread that are Drill Sergeants and take it seriously. Like myself.

STFU and stay on the sideline.....

Name rank and duty station if you wish to reply.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redrumss
Pretty funny to you......not too most of the people in this thread that are Drill Sergeants and take it seriously. Like myself.

^^^ I guess this guy doesn't do amnesty hour, (blood pressure ).
Old 04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was the STFU and sideline comment aimed at me??? If so for what??? So what if I get a chuckle about you having to stop training for a concert and other dumb ****, if you dont like it so much then get out of the military. And judging by your locations(augusta) I am sure you aint doing no combat training at pouge signal school. The drills there are nothing more than babysitters that make sure privates go to school everyday.

Last edited by brad8266; 04-24-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

As a fighting service member my opinion on any war is better than yours.
Thats a pretty stupid line there considering all policy and war decisions are made by non-fighting civilians. I guess the opinion of an E6 is better than theirs

Last edited by brad8266; 04-27-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ I guess this guy doesn't do amnesty hour, (blood pressure ).
His blood pressure is up because hes a babysitter at the US Army signal school. Id be pissy too, lol.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Hey ********... Look at the rest of the location I.D. I guess you don't know where that is or what we are doing over here in Iraq and Afghanistan. Tool.... Babysitter huh... step up to the plate there big boy and put your Drill Sergeant packet in. 20 bucks says you don't have it in you. I am a former Drill Sergeant.

Too scared to post who you are or where you are at huh...?????

I am not worked up at all either.... just pinheads such as yourself that take the military as some kind of joke needs to get out.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey ********... Look at the rest of the location I.D. I guess you don't know where that is or what we are doing over here in Iraq and Afghanistan. Tool.... Babysitter huh... step up to the plate there big boy and put your Drill Sergeant packet in. 20 bucks says you don't have it in you. I am a former Drill Sergeant.

Too scared to post who you are or where you are at huh...?????

I am not worked up at all either.... just pinheads such as yourself that take the military as some kind of joke needs to get out.
If you look at my profile you will see where I am at, moron, just read it. If you feel like visiting so bad me Pm me and I will even give you my address. When you come back from playing in the sand you can feel free to stop by my place anytime.

Yes I dont know whats going on in Iraq or Afghanistan. Sorry youre not a babysitter now, you are a former babysitter and now are in a pouge signal unit.

Drill Sergeants at the US army signal school arent big boys anyway they are babysitters. Why dont you step up and go through SFAS like I did? Bet ya $20 you dont have your packet in for that huh? Youre a *** that thinks youre hot **** cause you went through drill school, I am so impressed. get a ****** life.

Last edited by brad8266; 04-27-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

How do you figure i take the military as a joke?? Because I found it funny that recruits had to go to a concert instead of doing training? Dont blame me for it, its the commanders that are doing this, I never said it was a good thing, they should be training more rather than doing stupid **** like concerts and stuff like that.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to benning in july of 90 and it was mabey 4 hours of sleep a night mabey one or 2 phone calls for a min while there from july to nov no time to eat fights every day, and yes drill sgts still would put their hands on you. I think it all ended with clinton being president. Thats when we saw a change in germany with the barracks changes and so on.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Besides all of this yes I would agree that boot camps are different depending which mos and branch of service. We had some really crazy **** happen in infantry school ait. Any one that went to it back then will surley agree. Sand hill sucked and im sure harmony church did too. We definatly dont need to argue we are all on the same side here and thats what seperated us from the liberal cowards that refuse to join any branch.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Geezus. Cell phones? I went the basic at Knox at the end of 04 and we had no such privilages! I got one phone call on Thanksgiving day. And I even hear they are letting them do push ups on thier knees? Say it aint so, say it aint so! Can we petition Tradoc or something?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to benning in 03, so I cant say much about what has happened before me but when I want through my 14week basic, atleast 1/2 of the nights we had to have 50% security even in the rear. Grown men crying at night! I to this day have never used a tent or half shelter except for when I was cadre at EIB. We road marched every 4 days or something, the longest being 24mi. I am not saying that I had it tougher than all, for DAMN sure MY company did more than the others when I was there. We started with 56 in my plt and graduated with low 40 something. I just chalked it up to the fact we were all 18X and ranger contracts in my company or something. My little bro just got through with basic as well and he said it was nothing like the stuff I went through! All I can say is that if it changes this much all the time then I cant even imagine what older guys like yourselves and my father that went in in 68. Everyone in my family is infantry so I dont know much about the other MOS's and there training.

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.