Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

prior service to officer question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prior service to officer question?

Looking for a little input guys, I did 4 years enlisted active duty usmc and since getting out have been going to school, what's the process for prior service trying to go back in as an officer? What kind of requirements are there and what are some potential disqualifiers? Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

kinda a pain in the ***, at least for the army. Need transcripts, resume, letters of recommendations, interview, stuff of that nature. For the Air force you have to take the AFOQT as well which is not an easy test.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Launching!

The AFOQT actually isn't that difficult. It about the same as a SAT with some flying realted stuff tossed in. You can get study aids if you think you'll need them. I went to college then OTS,we had about 50% prior enlisted in my class. All I did was work it through a recruiter, make sure you get the job you want (pending you finish OTS) or don't sign up. If you have any more Q's feel free to email or PM me.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I'm looking to go back usmc, maybe army. I appreciate the input guys, I've got about a year left in school so I want to have my stuff in order.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to the officer selection office. its probably the same process as anyone wantign to get a comission, except you may need a bit of paperwork from your prior service

brook
Old 04-17-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least for the Navy and I'm sure it's simular for other branches, an officer recruiter gets paid to help you put together a package for you. With a year left, you should start looking seriously now.

The requirement for 0-1E pay is 4 yrs & 1 day. Some guys get out a little earily on there enlistments and get bit in the *** when they try to come back in as an officer.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by brad8266
kinda a pain in the ***, at least for the army. Need transcripts, resume, letters of recommendations, interview, stuff of that nature. For the Air force you have to take the AFOQT as well which is not an easy test.
Hardest part about the AFOQT is sitting in the damn chair for 6 hours.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Hardest part about the AFOQT is sitting in the damn chair for 6 hours.
I took it like 5 years after taking the SAT so to me it was the most difficult test since I took SAT's. it is pretty hard for being a military test though. The flying stuff is easy for me, but i work on a filght simulator so it should be.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
At least for the Navy and I'm sure it's simular for other branches, an officer recruiter gets paid to help you put together a package for you. With a year left, you should start looking seriously now.

The requirement for 0-1E pay is 4 yrs & 1 day. Some guys get out a little earily on there enlistments and get bit in the *** when they try to come back in as an officer.
No they dont because in officer training they are enlisted so upon commission they have the extra day plus some to make the 4 year 1 day cut for oe1
Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 AM
NKAWTG...N

I took it like 5 years after taking the SAT so to me it was the most difficult test since I took SAT's. it is pretty hard for being a military test though. The flying stuff is easy for me, but i work on a filght simulator so it should be.
all electric mazes can die and stay dead!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:11 AM
NKAWTG...N

No they dont because in officer training they are enlisted so upon commission they have the extra day plus some to make the 4 year 1 day cut for oe1
Exactly, for the AF being prior E doesn't count toward pension but it counts toward pay. I have a Capt right now who was 4 years Army enlisted, and has been in the AF for like twelve years now, so she's getting 16 years Capt pay but still can't retire with pension for another 8. (note: those numbers might be off but anyway you add up you need 20 years OFFICER to retire with pension)
Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exactly, for the AF being prior E doesn't count toward pension but it counts toward pay. I have a Capt right now who was 4 years Army enlisted, and has been in the AF for like twelve years now, so she's getting 16 years Capt pay but still can't retire with pension for another 8. (note: those numbers might be off but anyway you add up you need 20 years OFFICER to retire with pension)
Sine when is this?? Last I checked any federal service counts toward a federal pension, regardless of what part of the federal government you work for ie.. post office, army, navy, AF, Army civilian employees. Found this on the net
Air Force and Army members with over 20 years service are all classified as retired, and receive retired pay.
To me it sounds like this CPT you know has no clue what she is talking about. 20 years of service PEIORD gets you a pension.

Last edited by brad8266; 04-18-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need a Bachelor degree. Went I went to Army OCS, I had a bunch of guys that were prior service. All they had to do was go to basic training, OCS, and OBC. Not sure what they needed before they went to basic training.

Your friendly recruiter office will help you on this (not by heart).
Old 04-18-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You will need a Bachelor degree. Went I went to Army OCS, I had a bunch of guys that were prior service. All they had to do was go to basic training, OCS, and OBC. Not sure what they needed before they went to basic training.

Your friendly recruiter office will help you on this (not by heart).
If you got out within a certain time though you dont have to go back to basic again, just OCS and OBC.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

all electric mazes can die and stay dead!
What????
Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you got out within a certain time though you dont have to go back to basic again, just OCS and OBC.

Thats good. By the way OCS is not fun.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

That's false. You need 20 years or more to RETIRE period, however if you are prior Enlisted you need to have been an Officer for at least 10 years to retire as an Officer. If you don't meet the 10 years then you'll retire at the highest Enlisted paygrade you held.

To the original poster factor this in also. You must serve at least 4 years and 1 day as a Enlisted person or a Warrant Officer to receive O-E pay which is pretty much more in base pay and BAH compared to O-1 pay. However the key is to get that one day, if you just do 4 years Enlisted/WO then you don't qualify.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Launching!

I've got 4 years 3 months I extended to try to lat move but it didn't work out so I got out so I should be good there.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slilock
That's false. You need 20 years or more to RETIRE period, however if you are prior Enlisted you need to have been an Officer for at least 10 years to retire as an Officer. If you don't meet the 10 years then you'll retire at the highest Enlisted paygrade you held.

To the original poster factor this in also. You must serve at least 4 years and 1 day as a Enlisted person or a Warrant Officer to receive O-E pay which is pretty much more in base pay and BAH compared to O-1 pay. However the key is to get that one day, if you just do 4 years Enlisted/WO then you don't qualify.
Exactly what I said in my previous posts.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Sine when is this?? Last I checked any federal service counts toward a federal pension, regardless of what part of the federal government you work for ie.. post office, army, navy, AF, Army civilian employees. Found this on the net
Air Force and Army members with over 20 years service are all classified as retired, and receive retired pay.
To me it sounds like this CPT you know has no clue what she is talking about. 20 years of service PEIORD gets you a pension.
Hmm I'll ask her again, but when I was talking to her thats what she was making it sound like. She told me she wants to retire at 45, which would have her at 26 years total, 20 af officer, 6 army enlisted.

Quick Reply: prior service to officer question?