Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

(ARMY) Tips for E-5 board?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up (ARMY) Tips for E-5 board?

Bout to head to the Sergeant board and was wondering if anyone has any tips out there?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Just study and remember that everyone up on the board has been where you are. It's good to have your bio memorized too and not stumble on it at all... it's their first impression of you and will set the tone for the whole board. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

can't really give any tips on the army side but none the less good luck hope you get it.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know your ribbon order and why you got them. I got caught out with that. And I had to look down at my ribbons and remember why I got them.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Be loud and confident with you answers, show them your not scared even if you are. Look the 1SG's in the eyes when you talk to them. Good luck they really arent that hard you can do it.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah man like all these guys said and also remember once you finish talking to all the 1SG'S and you get to the sgt.mjr. .... Please don't forget to call him sgt. mjr.!!!! That is something important... Some sgt. mjrs. like to ask at the end why do you think you should become a sgt.? You should have a answer ready and answer that quickly. Just be confident and theres nothing to be nervous about. Good luck
Old 09-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
Bout to head to the Sergeant board and was wondering if anyone has any tips out there?
First off, congrats for being selected. Here is a short list for you:
1. Know the NCO creed!
2. Make sure your leaders book is current.
3. Have your PSG check your uniform.
4. Download your study guide at armystudyguide.com. Almost all 1SG's get their questions from there.
5. Ask your PSG for a murder board.
6. When talking, maintain eye contact and keep your voice at an even tone.

And best of luck to you!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Restricted User

+1 for everything above.
You have to remember that you are competing against yourself, nobody else. Your bearing and confidence are the key, and then knowledge. If your ready, within yourself, you will let them see that, and have an easier time answering the questions. In the event you brainfart, dont flip out, just take a breath and drive on. One way to show your confidence is your answer technique. It never mattered to me sitting on the boards, or being the attendee how the answers were given as long as you are consistent, however, some CSM's like a certain format. I used:
"(rank) (state answer) (rank)" or if giving the answer to Publication that covers leadership..... "1SG, Field Manual 22-100, 1SG" *note: always say Field Manual, or Army Regulation etc the first time, after its accepted to abbreviate by saying FM or AR* I used that answer style, and prefered it when sitting on boards, as its easier to get out then trying to restate one of those long as questions, and again, if you start off restating the question you should do it for everyone! Good luck Sergeant!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start watching the news a week out. And know who won the big games or races. Also when you do the bio mention your family members to include the pets.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Good catch Cat3, I forgot about that one! And we just had a murder board on friday! As a matter of fact I am sitting on the NCO/Soldier of the month board on wens. Hope they studied!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

hey cat3, i bet you still remember the current events from when you went to the sergeant board...let see what where they.. moon landing, veitnam.... etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

be confident, but not cocky. study the NCO/Soldiers creed and look all members of the board in the eyes as you speak. know your current events i suggest msn the morning of the board. 1-state specific, 1-us wide, 1-overseas, and 1-about downrange. study. study. study. what i did when i went to mine was studied for approx an hour a night. the night before did not study for fear of confusing myself. go with your nirmal study habits and you'll b alright. just went to mine in july. now promotable chasin points. high for my mos. Once again good luck.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I learned the NCO creed at WLC and have had it down since then. Been to a few practice boards, our 1SG is really helping us out. Gotta really work on my BIO.

Also what questions are they really looking for, for me to get right? I've been studying hard on leadership, NCO duties/resposibilities, nco history, train the force, chain of command, and BRM (M16/249).

I''m a mechanic which is a "Star MOS" so if I get thru this then its basicly a gimme. Plus I've got 258points already. If I get this I'm gonna reward myself by trading the T/A in on a C5
Old 09-04-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I learned the NCO creed at WLC and have had it down since then. Been to a few practice boards, our 1SG is really helping us out. Gotta really work on my BIO.

Also what questions are they really looking for, for me to get right? I've been studying hard on leadership, NCO duties/resposibilities, nco history, train the force, chain of command, and BRM (M16/249).

I''m a mechanic which is a "Star MOS" so if I get thru this then its basicly a gimme. Plus I've got 258points already. If I get this I'm gonna reward myself by trading the T/A in on a C5

good choices when i went to the board they were looking for answers to the above subjects and also military programs and counselings and as with every board weapons. work on that bio get it perfect and you should be good. I'm an MP (31B) and points are sittin at 534 so im just chasin points. Good choice for a congrats gift. I should make points by Oct 1st. If so add-ons to my camaro
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Restricted User

If you **** the leadership questions up royally that will stick in their heads, other than that, its more about bearing, composure and your ability to effectively negotiate the board (knowing the questions and answers is great but not 100% necessary).

g-ryde, thats some low points to be waiting on....stopping writing up accident reports for trees hitting windshields and get them points!

Chris...those were after my time. Back in the civil war days as long as you could ride a horse, spit and shoot you could be a Sarge! Cav has since gone to **** and lets in just about anyone
Old 09-04-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ACCP here I come.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
good choices when i went to the board they were looking for answers to the above subjects and also military programs and counselings and as with every board weapons. work on that bio get it perfect and you should be good. I'm an MP (31B) and points are sittin at 534 so im just chasin points. Good choice for a congrats gift. I should make points by Oct 1st. If so add-ons to my camaro
Dang that sucks.

I think mines like 35x primary
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW Thanks so much for the help
Old 09-04-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

how did it go?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I phrased it wrong, the board is on wensday the 6th.

Quick Reply: (ARMY) Tips for E-5 board?