Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

a few questions for you deployed guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a few questions for you deployed guys

Well after I graduate I will be enlisting for a 4 year contract, (Infantry, Airborne, Rangers) and obviously will not be able to take care of my car. I was curious to what you guys have done with yours?

Also, if anyone here is a Ranger I'd really appreciate it if I could ask you a few questions.

I really appreciate what all of you military guys are doing.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why won't you be able to take care of your car? after you get to the "fleet" you'll be able to bring your car to your station, being you're stateside. and are you guaranteed for Ranger? or are you guaranteed a "try out" for the Rangers? they're not the same.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and i guess you've definately made up your mind on Army?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Well in the contract you're "garunteed" a try out, ranger school and indoctrination are completely different things as you know.. Going through the army process though, complete infantry get mos, then airborne, then get to duty station and "sign-up" for the ranger indoctrination, then if pass that go onto ranger school; if i'm correct (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Didn't know you were allowed your car at the duty stations?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kept my car garaged and forwarded all the payments while I whent through
boot/mct/mos school.

First perm duty station I belive, not temp duty like schooling ect.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

im deployed now, i just have my car sitting in a storage unit, for the 4months im gone, in the past ive just parked my car in the TDY parking lot on base, and have someone start it every payday, but thats b4 i got my Z
b4 i had a 99 firebird v6 that i left in the paking lot.
right now the Z is in storage with the POS battery terminal disconnected, and a car cover on it, dont really have to worry about the battery runny dry, as i can just push it out and pop the clutch.

if you gonna be gone for a long time, id leave with your parents or someone you really trust not to screw up your car, and have them start it up every couple a weeks.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

oh and give a power of attorney to some one who can pay your cars note,
or you can just get the address of the place you finance it through and mail them a check every month, just dont for get to put the account # on the check, thats what i do.... if you deploy to the desert all letters getting mailed are free... no need for stamps
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

You can have your car with you at your first permanant duty station. You normally get leave before deploying, so leave it with a friend or family member that you trust (I mean really, really trust). If you are still making payments on the car, DO NOT MAIL CHECKS!!! ESPECIALLY WHILE DEPLOYED!!!!!! The military is very good at setting up direct deposits. Hassle free, worry free, they bank sees your money before you do, and you will never miss a payment. If you send something back from a deployment, only God knows when it will get there. At least that is the experience that I have had, both in Okinawa and Iraq. Even working at the embassy, mail ranges from 1 to nearly 4 weeks. Government mail is the most unreliable thing that there is, stay away from it.

Oh, and thanks for stepping up along side us.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Appreciate the advice guys.

I'm still kinda iffy on the path i'm going just because I doubt my psyhical capabilities where it comes to the training of the Ranger School, but its what's in my heart and what I want to do and I will not give up.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

i would just leave it at home, that what i do with my cars whenever im gone for a while, either overseas or extended training or exercises. if you get stationed in germany the army will ship your car to germany for you. infantry basic will last you about 14 weeks, then after that you can get your car or have your parents drive it down to benning for you, because you can have a car while your at airborne school. which is also at benning.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Hmm....Are you really able to use your car any while stationed? I figured you would be housed in a barracks during basic, airborne, and rangers? Didn't think you were allowed privledges like that till you had finished your trainings? How much do you guys actually get to use your cars and stufff?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

It's pretty much only the basic schools where you can't have your car. For me, once I completed FDC training at Fort Sill and moved to Lejeune, I could have my car. I have been to several schools since, and been allowed to have my car. Well, I couldn't at MSG school, since I would be shipped overseas a week or so after graduating, but some guys did, as long as they could explain the plan they had for the car after they graduated. I didn't, so I couldn't bring the car. Once you get your car, it is kind of up to you on how much you use it. I used mine all the time on base.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

basic you cant have ****, or osut, and infantry is an osut training. not sure about ait if your split but i doubt it too, at air assault school which is simliar to airborne school, it was like a typical work day, i went to pt, got off for breakfast and lunch, and went home around 1700, and could do what i wanted to until the next day, at ranger school you wont be able to do ****, they will own your *** from 0 day until you graduate or fail, which can be 65 days to as much as 6 months the longest i've heard of someone being at ranger school? once you get to your permant duty station you wont do much of anything especially if your infantry most of your day will consist of sitting around waiting to go home lol, once your off work you can leave post and do all kinds of ****
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Hmm, I was thinking that I wouldn't really have much time after I had finished my training? I figured i'd be shipped off to active combat duty..? Is this a misunderstood idea?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Yes, it is a little misunderstood. You probably won't go immediately to combat, and even then, you won't be there forever. You will have enough time to enjoy yourself, don't worry.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ckingcmaro
Hmm, I was thinking that I wouldn't really have much time after I had finished my training? I figured i'd be shipped off to active combat duty..? Is this a misunderstood idea?
my unit spent 18 months between deployments, sometimes you'll get assigned to a unit thats already deployed and depend on how long they have left in theater you'll either wait for them to get back or get sent to them downrange. most army units spend around 12 months deployed a couple get extended 1 or 2 months but typically not more than that.

most combat arms units will do a rotation to jrtc and/or ntc for almost a month each while in the states. and spend some time in the field doing training.

while in the states you'll have lots of downtime between training.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Launching!

When you say downtime what does that involve...?

Is it like you're still stationed on military base with like everyday P.T. and mission training sorta like basic, or is it like every other day or what?

Also, are you allowed to leave base and go visit family or something?

What are the general permissions?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Teching In

First you complete Basic and AIT. Then if you have a RIP contract, then you go to Airborne School at Ft. Benning. If you fail Airborne, your RIP contract is invalid and you will be sent to a unit at the Army's needs. If you pass RIP, then you are assinged to a Ranger Battalion. I am currently deployed in Baghdad on my 16th month in country. Don't worry about the phsyical part of the game. Just keep walking and stay awake. Depending on your unit, you can stay at your duty station in as little as two months and get deployed. The best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Well lately i've been thinking alot about which branch I really want to do. And I know that every man has his own...Honestly, I want to be straight infantry, but my question is about the Ranger Battalion, I understand that if you pass airborne you are assigned to that, what does that involve? Can you stay in the Ranger Battallion even though you only have Airborne training?

Also, saying that i'm phsyically fit & no medical problems, is it guaruntee'd I will be infantry and will not be forced to do something in the lines of a desk job? (Not to dis-respect those jobs, it's just not where I want to be)

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Caleb
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

pm and ask some question i'll be able to answer them for you.

Quick Reply: a few questions for you deployed guys