Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines come on in

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Tenured Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marines come on in

I will be enlisting in the recon reserve on monday any advice for going into bootcamp? I figure I'll have to start running my *** off just about evey day or so, and start doing many pushups and situps. Im still working on being able to do the 100 in 2 mins for both. Any help is appreciated for this 21 years old boot to be.
Tim
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

Just run a bunch and do pushups/situps. The marine fitness test consists of 3 mile run, pull ups, pushups, and situps. If you do a google search you can find out the PFA standards.

This is all from a squid though. I've just done a bunch of marine PFA's.

Nate
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Actually the marine PFT consists of 3 mile run, pull- ups, and crunches. If you want to be in recon you better be in DAMN good shape and be able to swim like a fish.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep your eyes open, your mouth shut, and follow any order instantly.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Tenured Member

Ive heard that^^ a couple of times.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM
JUICED96Z

I thought you have to be in the Corps for a while then apply for RECON? Or is that just for active?? Like go in as Infantry for a few years then apply for RECON.

I knew a guy who is leaving for San Diego in January and his recruiter fed him a bunch of crap that he still thinks is true...

Yeah, get in the best shape of your life, learn to swim like a fish and keep your mouth shut.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Tenured Member

They allwo you to try out for recon reserve after boot and soi. If I make it I'll do all the training right away. I talked to the head of the recon unit that they are just starting in IL he said this is the best way to recieve the training when he started he had to wait a couple of years to be able to complete all the training. If it all goes as planned after january Ill be in traing for aroung 18 months.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMOKY
I will be enlisting in the recon reserve on monday any advice for going into bootcamp? I figure I'll have to start running my *** off just about evey day or so, and start doing many pushups and situps. Im still working on being able to do the 100 in 2 mins for both. Any help is appreciated for this 21 years old boot to be.
Tim
As was mentioned earlier... keep your eyes open, mouth shut and move faster than humanily possible.

Keep in mind that your Drill Instructors, or at least a lot of them, are going to think that most of the pigs...err, recruits in your platton are going to be lazy and worthless. They think that about any platoon, but especially the winter platoons. This is because if you weren't lazy and worthless, you'd have come in during the summer months after highschool graduation. Your winter recruits are generally the ones that have been sitting at home sponging off Mom and Dad 'til they finally kicked you out. Or... you started college, found out you were a dumbass and dropped out. Whatever your reasons are for holding out (and there are legitimate ones... I guess) 'til winter, break the mold.

Also, you're going to be a little older than your average pig... err, recruit. Your DIs are going to expect for you to step up to the plate and be a leader. No one's saying you have to be the Guide or a Squad Leader, but at least help out the younger ones who still don't know which end of the rifle is the dangerous one.

Here's a key word. Time Management. Learn it. Live it. It'll save your *** and is a good example for the others to follow. Always carry your Knowledge book with you and study it every chance you get. Get a little school circle going when you can too and include other pigs... err, recruits.

Every night (during Free Time), spend some time on the Quarter Deck working on your pull-ups and crunches. Get others to work with you too.

Don't ever let your DIs see you doing nothing. That just gives them a reason to dig you right then and there. Especially, if you're in the squad bay.

Keep in mind (no pun intended) that Boot Camp is really nothing more than a mind game. They're gonna treat you like **** and break you down just to see if you stay there or break. Treat Boot Camp as a learning experience and adapt. They're not going to kill you, even if it seems that way at times. You'll only fail if you stop trying. That's kinda the whole point. 'Cause if you're real Marine material... you wouldn't quit. If you do quit... you weren't Marine material to begin with and the quicker you're gone the better.

Good luck,
Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)
DI, F & G Co., Parris Island ('89-'91)

Last edited by nytmare1; 11-15-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

If you go to Parris Island you will be good. Nothin but corps values over there. lol
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by import slayer
If you go to Parris Island you will be good. Nothin but corps values over there. lol

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

hey hollywood marines are the same so dont start the bull **** for this young (or old) recruit. like they all said keep you rmouth closed eyes open and you better do what they tell you before they tell you. but either way your fucked untill that great day that you get off the depot. ohh yeah another thing, while there enjoy your self as well. when you get a chance look around andd see the place you are in. see the parade deck and think how many marines have been there before you. have fun and get ready to loose weight and start thinking diferently. ohh rah

CPL Rinkenberger
Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by krink85
hey hollywood marines are the same so dont start the bull **** for this young (or old) recruit. like they all said keep you rmouth closed eyes open and you better do what they tell you before they tell you. but either way your fucked untill that great day that you get off the depot. ohh yeah another thing, while there enjoy your self as well. when you get a chance look around andd see the place you are in. see the parade deck and think how many marines have been there before you. have fun and get ready to loose weight and start thinking diferently. ohh rah

CPL Rinkenberger

You know IMPORT SLAYER is a DI at San Diego right LOL?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

no didnt know that but you know where i am coming from right?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by krink85
no didnt know that but you know where i am coming from right?
I was just laughing at his statment knowing what he does and then your statement lol.

Im not a Marine but the SD vs PI topic is like the LT1 vs LS1 debate lol, it will be something we talk about to our great grand children lol
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Man if I went to bootcamp again... I know I would do everything in my power to **** of my drill instructors. So act stupid, and dumb and move slow the whole time. I promise you will make them more tired of you, then you are of them. HAHA j/k

Man everyone is giving good advice. Listen to it. Boot Camp is the easy part. You get told what to do for everything. Once you get out of Boot Camp that's when it become's challenging. You have to motivate yourself.

About the recon thing. I knew a guy who did reserve recon. You have to make it through the training first. They will keep cycling you threw till you graduate the training schedule. You are active duty till then. And I'm pretty sure you can loose your MOS if you don't pass after a certin amount of try's.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Man if I went to bootcamp again... I know I would do everything in my power to **** of my drill instructors. So act stupid, and dumb and move slow the whole time. I promise you will make them more tired of you, then you are of them. HAHA j/k
I would not get tired of you I think I would just I.T. everyone else because of you.
Not a good way to make friends in the plt. lol
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres really nothing you need to do to get ready for bootcamp. running your *** off and doing a bunch of pushups and stuff isnt needed unless your a real fatass who cant do even 3 pullups or run 3 miles in around almost 30 min.
basicly just show up when its time to go and keep your eyes open, mouth shut and move fast. Of course gettign inshape is never a bad idea.
Once you are done with SOI you will go to BRC, You may need to get into shape for that, I have not been so I cant really give any advice on it.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Tenured Member

When would I find out where I'm going for basic? At meps? If so I'll let you know if Ill be coming to see you import slayer. Thanks for the advice.
Tim
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by SMOKY
When would I find out where I'm going for basic? At meps? If so I'll let you know if Ill be coming to see you import slayer. Thanks for the advice.
Tim

As far as I know if you are west of the Missisippi river you go to San Diego, if you are east of it you go to Paris Island.
If you are kinda in the middle I think they let you pick.

I think the guy I knew found out at MEPS.

Someone looking forward to seeing a DI... now thats a first.... bringing attention to yourself is BAD LOL!

I knew a guy that liked to stick out, a CSM that I knew fixed him up good LOL!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

the west of the mississippi thing really isnt true. i live in illinois and the didnt let us pick. my meps was in St. Louis which is west of the mississippi but i knwo a few people from chicago that did not get to pick. this isnt for sure its just what i have seen.

Quick Reply: Marines come on in