Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

airborne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airborne?

Im still at AIT at Fort Gordon, i Got about 4 monthes left. Im heavily considering going airborne for the promotion points. I was wondering if anyone of you army guys have been through the school can give me some insight on what to expect, how much more money they give you etc. thanks for any feedback.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

jump pay is like $150 extra a month
Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Its fun, I lived on 1000mg of IBprofin (sp) twice a day cause i had shin splints so bad, and my knees were dieing from runnig in the back of the chalk.

Its a good time and you'll be proud of yourself when you graduate... its all a mental thing.

Good Luck
Old 12-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Its a lot of fun...Just like any other training it can get boring at times. But you do get nights and weekend off so thats a plus. Make sure you kick *** on your APFT, we lost at least 60+ people after that....Also work on your pull ups. Try to be able to do at least ten. Don't be stupid and get drunk during off time, and be ready to eat subway pretty much every night.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well here is my advice, Don't go to Airborne school just for points.
To wear the wings requires a change of life, it's basically a lifestyle. Do it because you want it. You'll figure it out when you get there and get tore down. But it's worth the Papa identifier. But expect Bragg, or Korea in return. Again it's opens doors though and gets you some great experience.

But any way it' should already be written into your contract, unless you are going to Benning, or Bragg.
Where are you at? 369 447
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Im @ C 73rd. I didnt get it in my contract to start with because i didnt think i could do it but getting outta basic, well you know. Are you on Gordon 1badchicken?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

The last week was fun but all of the other stuff is b.s. Airborne is the weakest school I ever went to!

It is 3 weeks of fourth phase bootcamp. You will have fun though! Especially if you go during the summer(ROTC, Cadets )...

Last edited by Packy; 12-30-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck getting it if it's not in your contract. Being at AIT it'll be easier to get but still isn't guaranteed. I was lucky to have a chance to go Airborne, but I had to volunteer for a LSRD slot.

The only ways I know you can get it is to A.) go to an Airborne unit, B.) re-enlist C.) get lucky and you have some school slots at the unit you end up in.

It's fun somewhat. I'd do it all over again if given the chance, but my body sure hates me for doing it. But 5 jumps in school isn't much of anything. It's all the jumping afterwards that tears you up.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Airborne school should be banned for anyone not going to an airborne unit. Total waste of money. Be a paratrooper, not a parachutist.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Airborne school should be banned for anyone not going to an airborne unit. Total waste of money. Be a paratrooper, not a parachutist.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

x2 I'm so sick of seeing Officers getting that school just because they are there at Benning.

****. It's better to go Skydiving then to jump in the Army. It's way more fun. Please don't become a Badge-Hunter.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Richiec77
x2 I'm so sick of seeing Officers getting that school just because they are there at Benning.
The reason officers at Benning get pushed into that school, is that as an officer, it is difficult to get schools once you get to your unit. Enlisted soldiers have much better chances of getting slots from their units.
Also, most of the non-airborne qualified infantry LT's at Benning want to go to Airborne as officers, rather then go as cadets (like I did) and not get paid for it.
As such, the thing that annoyed me the most, was seeing cadets go during the summer that were pushed into it by their cadre members at their universities. Practically all of each West Point class goes to Airborne each summer, as well as Air Assault. More than half of those cadets did not want to be there. Many got kicked out. I would rather see ate-up cadets/enlisted/officers leave slots open for those who genuinely want a chance to wear the wings. I was pissed at Airborne school when the Black Hats slowed the runs down, in order to keep the fat West Point girls from falling out.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Richiec77
****. It's better to go Skydiving then to jump in the Army. It's way more fun. Please don't become a Badge-Hunter.
Really. I wonder what the percentage of folks are who get jump wings but stay in a leg unit yet tell their family and friends back home that they're really in an airborne unit lol. Especially in the 101st "Air Assault". That's pretty lame, ******* wannabe's. Waste of taxpayer money. I also should have added that anyone in an MOS that will never jump into combat should never go to the school, either.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really. I wonder what the percentage of folks are who get jump wings but stay in a leg unit yet tell their family and friends back home that they're really in an airborne unit lol. Especially in the 101st "Air Assault". That's pretty lame, ******* wannabe's. Waste of taxpayer money. I also should have added that anyone in an MOS that will never jump into combat should never go to the school, either.
yeah love the 101st, everyone thinks they are a real airborne unit too.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Sounds like a lot of whiney asses that are wearing wings. If your airborne then set the airborne standard. Leave the complaining and bellyaching to less unfortunate.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by roy
Sounds like a lot of whiney asses that are wearing wings. If your airborne then set the airborne standard. Leave the complaining and bellyaching to less unfortunate.
What do you know about the airborne standard?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I paid my dues in the hot Geogia Summer in the sawdust pits 1996.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have 73 jumps. Just to go to school for the wings is to be a badge-hunter. I HATE bdage-hunters. They are the ones that usually cause bad stererotypes to pop up since they aren't really using that training. They get it so it looks cool. It is a pet-pieve of mine.

I do agree that some of these schools should be saved for those actually going to a unit that uses the actual training.

With the officer stuff, I know it's gotten to a point that if you don't have these schools, you're less competitive for promotions. TO ME IMO, that is the ultimate badge-hunting that is perpetuated by the officer corp as a whole and not the individual officer. I really hate that, but I do understand where you are comming from. It's the system literally do that.

The coolest thing I saw while in Airborne school was this LTC Chaplain. He was 44 years old and was hanging with all us young guys. Awesome motivator. I give that guy the most ut-most respect for going thru the training at that age. He was there because he was assigned to an a unit in the 82'nd so he needed the training.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roy
Oh man. I hated that sawdust. I think they use chipped rubber tires now.

Remember the initial PT test? Doing Push-up's? Sinking in so deep that your chest is on the ground and they are saying "Lower...Lower...Lower" hahaha.

I just don't like guy's going thru the training just to wear the badge. Just to get the shiney trinket on their chest. That's what I think most of us that are complaining are really complaining about.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by roy
What airborne unit?

Quick Reply: airborne?