Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006 | 02:17 PM
Restricted User

Wow... Lots of issues over posting name all the way to emails for verification! Brad, personally I think you've taken this way too far, even though all you did is point out the obvious. Yes, scammers will always be out there, and loopholes will always be exploited, nothing we can do about that. Adding another For Sale section for Military I think is a good idea, but needs good execution as well.

What I think would work:
1. Post your military email. Army uses AKO, as well as individual installation outlook accounts. e.g. charles.trayer@us.army.mil and my installation was c.trayer@kaf.mil or something.

2. It would help to have another Servicemember as reference. I know 9 out of 10 military from Hawaii. e.g. 1fastTransAm post in Mil Sale his item, at the bottom is his mil. email, station and then reference CAT3- and my mil. email.

3. Trust is an issue. As stated and so obvious, ppl get burned all the time on boards, fleabay, etc. If you dont have a good warm fuzzy about the buyer/seller, back out and explain whats up. ****, some of the most established members on here, and sponsors have had issues...just look in the feedback section! You cant stop it, but much of it can be avoided by instinct, use of references, etc..

4. A few years ago ThunderRacing did a Mil. Sale during Veteran's Day w/e, required the mil. email and/or copy of Mil. ID faxed to them. Sale went w/o a hitch. Stickied to the top of the Mil Section would be sponsors that willingly (without having to prod, or compare to another sponsor) offer Mil Discounts. One thing I hate is having to ask if there is a Mil Discount, often times followed by the ugly stank eye because the seller/sponsor feels like your asking for a handout. I mean ****, the job itself is not the safest occupation around, and yet the pay really is not on par with the civilian sector, getting there but not that close. So making substandard pay for over standard risk is **** poor, does it kill a business to offer a special discount? No, simply put it wouldn't kill anyone in business. Rant off.

So, I support this idea, and think the comments against are pretty weak, since they can be applied to any for sale section.

Why a Military For Sale? I think some of it is the brotherhood, just like regional ppl like to sell within their region, mods like to sell to mods...its an offering to "your own kind" as a token before the General Public. The issue on mid and end of month paydays, or the need to ask someone if they can hold a part until 15th/1st is more readily understood and accepted (I've asked and held a few times myself). There is less bitching about shipping to remote places, like Hawaii (oh let me count the sales I thought were good until it came to shipping to Hawaii and hear "oh hell no I can't ship there for $xxx..., crock of ****).

Charlie
Old 12-27-2006 | 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks charlie. its good to see someone else agree with me.
Old 12-27-2006 | 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
faxing over a copy of the id card is the best and only way to ensure no fraud.

your not allowed to make copies of a govt ID CARD!
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAT3
So, I support this idea, and think the comments against are pretty weak, since they can be applied to any for sale section.
They can not be applied to any other forum. No other forum will require your military information in order to complete a sale. Its an entire different story if you required to show ID in person for a discount like at Home Depot. You buy an item on ebay and you dont pay for it or something happens they dont call your unit and risk you getting UCMJ. Thats the difference.

Opening the section is ok, just be aware that it is open for some abuse that could potentially screw up a service members job by having to stand in front of the man. It doesnt affect me at all since I pay for what i buy and I dont BS on stuff I sell.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-27-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Charlie! you allways know how to say what im thinking... guess they put your *** in itell for a reason.

I dont know about puttng someones unit/command info out on the street though, SAEDA is still an issue, and you never know who is looking.

i think the brotherhood thing is a big part of why i want to do this, i also understand about the 1st and 15th

even if there is one or two worthless sacks of crap who wants to pretend to be military to save a buck or two, i still think its worth it to have this section.
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SINISTER

Not sure who your kidding with this, but I've made copies for various reasons over the past 18yrs, even helped the Security Manager do the same, I'm sure if there were a reason not to, the S-2 would know. Matter of fact, I've made copies for the Gov't of the Gov't ID Card. Now we are not talking full bodied color reproduction, simple black and white.
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is allowed
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brad8266
They can not be applied to any other forum. No other forum will require your military information in order to complete a sale. Its an entire different story if you required to show ID in person for a discount like at Home Depot. You buy an item on ebay and you dont pay for it or something happens they dont call your unit and risk you getting UCMJ. Thats the difference.

Opening the section is ok, just be aware that it is open for some abuse that could potentially screw up a service members job by having to stand in front of the man. It doesnt affect me at all since I pay for what i buy and I dont BS on stuff I sell.

Yes the potential for misuse is there. But to say the potential to ruin someones career is a little overboard IMHO and I'm not all about supporting posting up all relevant military information. It was a suggestion someone else had to post up the info, or verify by other means etc.. and that translates into simply using mil email account. Now, if your using a mil email account and your not mil. the trust is upon you to not abuse it.
Phone calls to the command should be an issue, if your trying to **** someone over, then **** what how you feel about your command getting called. Again, in 18yrs, I haven't been subjected to any command (and I've worked for some real ********, more so than I am) that would **** a Soldier over based on a simple phone call, unsubstantiated that is.
To say a late payment will can a security clearance is not entirely true either. If its a secret clearance and there are a few late payments its not an issue if disclosed during period review (every 10yrs) unless its a habitual thing. Now Commanders can pull a clearance on a Soldier for A late payment, but its always a case by case basis, again in 18yrs never seen one pulled for a late payment concerning a squared away Soldier.

Can the right be abused? Yes. Can someone create problems with information? Yes. Can clearances become an issue? Yes. Can the world as we know it collapse tomorrow? Yes. Doesn't mean any of it will, just that it can. Extreme? Sure, just as extreme as it posting any info. Look around in the mil. forum, if you were a CI (97B Army component Counter-Intelligence, or dumpster divers as we call them) there is enough info to abuse already! Nobodies bothered bitching about that.

Now, onto the meats n potatoes, selling goods and buying goods. Making good on what you promise to deliver, be it the product or the money. Do that and there shouldn't be an issue to involve any part of the Command.

Charlie
Old 12-27-2006 | 08:20 PM
Launching!

it could help that if you were going to do this that, the info given out be pm'd to the buyer or seller. along with a picture there index finger and first born child! haha jk
Old 12-27-2006 | 08:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by the_hunted
it could help that if you were going to do this that, the info given out be pm'd to the buyer or seller. along with a picture there index finger and first born child! haha jk

Photo must include "I'd hit it" sign worn around the waist right?
Old 12-27-2006 | 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually like the idea of a "military-only for sale" section, but im not so sure i see wut the big advantage is over it? i mean, yea, we're stickin together, as a cohesive unit amongst all sister branches, and thats really great an all - but cant we just give each other those discounts through the regular "for sale" section?

for negatives about this issue - i agree with cat3 and the rest of those who are in support - the possibility of fraud and/or royally screwing over a fellow servicemember doesnt diminish -or- increase by use of this popular new idea. someone could just as easily search out those profiles that post in this forum who are somehow tied into the military, use a random identity, then completely screw that unfortunate servicemember's career by backing out of an expensive deal. either way you look at it - either with this possible new program, or without it, the possibility of screwing a serviceman/servicewoman's career is still a potential.

for the positives - it really does build a cohesive bond between those whom are military or military-affiliated, which may be justification enough - same concept with this website as a whole, building a sense of unity amongst lt1/ls1 owners. unity, as all servicemembers should know by now, is the key to success (accompanied by perseverance, information, etc.).

alternate idea - if this idea would be too much work for the mods, perhaps a small icon denoting military status, placed under the wearer's avatar, would suffice any prerequisites for a military discount? that way, whoever is involved if a transaction will be able to distinguish servicemembers/contractors from civilians. just a thought.

wow this post is long..
Old 12-27-2006 | 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAT3
Photo must include "I'd hit it" sign worn around the waist right?
Thats funny
Old 12-27-2006 | 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Charlie,
I understand that in general there will be no issues, but there is a possibility for there to be enough room to damage a soldiers career.

Let me tell you from personal experience I haver seen a person with a security clearence get checked out by the government just by another employee reporting him, who by the way the employee reporting him was ******* his wife, was deeply in debt, and is a retired Army CSM. The false accusation was investigated and he was barely allowed to keep the clearance, although the employee was denied a salary raise for 3 consecutive years over this whole issue. So yeah this stuff does have adverse effects.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-27-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2006 | 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
i
alternate idea - if this idea would be too much work for the mods, perhaps a small icon denoting military status, placed under the wearer's avatar, would suffice any prerequisites for a military discount? that way, whoever is involved if a transaction will be able to distinguish servicemembers/contractors from civilians. just a thought.
best idea I have heard yet. You are a genius!!
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe that would be a good way to do it also. Id be down for that
Old 12-27-2006 | 11:12 PM
Banned

Plus 12 lets get her done!
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is now offical a bad idea cause i was just dick over on a bad sale by yes another member of the military...

so goes to show now a days it dont matter who you are...
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

this is now offical a bad idea cause i was just dick over on a bad sale by yes another member of the military...

so goes to show now a days it dont matter who you are...
by who? have you posted in member feedback?

Do you have his name/location?

Im sorry, but I think this is yet another reason why this section would be helpful. You can only allow so much time to go by without getting what you ordered before it's time to take some sort of action. And, after a reasonable amount of time passes, I would not hesitate to make some calls to that persons command and inform them of the situation. If you call someones command and talk to someone in charge and tell them whats going on, and then add in that you will be pressing charges for internet fraud, mail fraud, etc....i can almost 100% assure you that they (person in charge) will make **** happen.
Old 12-28-2006 | 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
by who? have you posted in member feedback?

Do you have his name/location?

Im sorry, but I think this is yet another reason why this section would be helpful. You can only allow so much time to go by without getting what you ordered before it's time to take some sort of action. And, after a reasonable amount of time passes, I would not hesitate to make some calls to that persons command and inform them of the situation. If you call someones command and talk to someone in charge and tell them whats going on, and then add in that you will be pressing charges for internet fraud, mail fraud, etc....i can almost 100% assure you that they (person in charge) will make **** happen.

yeah i have a huge thread on it..

i understand all that but you i cant even get fellow ls1tech members to lend me a hand in this sityation

shady1504

https://ls1tech.com/forums/negative-trader-feedback/522043-shady1504-where-you.html

he is a SPC in some quatermaster army unit near elpso texas

and another military member just pretty much back doored me on a deal wheer i suppose to buy a rolling chassis off of him

we agredd on a price i made arrangments took off work...rented trailor to go pick it up this saturday...and well i wake up and see he sold to someone else for more money...before even contacting me...

Last edited by SINISTER; 12-28-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2006 | 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dont you guys think that if someone was going to pull a fast one on you he would just do it in the regular sale section where he doesnt have to worry about dealing with the military command?

Quick Reply: MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?