Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Military Pilots IN Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't listen to recruiters, they are trying to fill numbers. Not get you what you want.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Recruiters are full of ****.

But, you cannot be an officer and fly without US citizenship.

"Too hard?" Granted, you can't walk in off the street and go to UPT.
1) Get a degree (grades are FAR more important than field)
2) Max the PFT
3) Have a good set of EPR/OPR's (if prior) and recommendations
4) Civilian flight hours help ALOT

If you want it, go get it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toasty
Recruiters are full of ****.

But, you cannot be an officer and fly without US citizenship.

"Too hard?" Granted, you can't walk in off the street and go to UPT.
1) Get a degree (grades are FAR more important than field)
2) Max the PFT
3) Have a good set of EPR/OPR's (if prior) and recommendations
4) Civilian flight hours help ALOT

If you want it, go get it.
I'm a recruiter...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

F-15E WSO here. I have flight controls in the back though. I get the best of both worlds...flying and weapons I've been in training 2 years and have 1 more year to go. BTW, was Marine Corps gunner on CH-46E and CH-53D (Afghanistan and Iraq respectively).
Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the encouragment guys.
When I walked into the recruitment office I was 17 or 18 cant remember, so I took his word for It. Stupid me! If it was in todays friend of mine he would have got his to say the least. I was very presionable when younger.
If I needed a US citizenship I would have done that in a heartbeat. I stick up for the US as it is now, so flying the flag would have been cool.
Unfortunatly Im 32 so its too late for me, but ill get my PPL soon. When I finish my Zed Ill go state side and pickup a decent IFR 150 and start there.
Then Ill add few 1/4 stick of dynamite on the wingtips and ill have more armament that a canadian squadren. Apperatently from what I know we are supposed to have some excellent fighter pilots who do extreamly well in the wargames and a few who have taken topgun. What do you expect we only have 60 or so f-18. I worked with a lot of vets and I have heard my share of stories.
Is it possible to take a tour or a airforce base in the US? Id love to do that.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by dantastic01SS
I'm a recruiter...
Enlisted or Officer recruiting?

(and I'm sorry)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

not a pilot but you guys sure like my crew when things get hairy. ARFF FTW!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jester1
Thanks for the encouragment guys.
When I walked into the recruitment office I was 17 or 18 cant remember, so I took his word for It. Stupid me! If it was in todays friend of mine he would have got his to say the least. I was very presionable when younger.
If I needed a US citizenship I would have done that in a heartbeat. I stick up for the US as it is now, so flying the flag would have been cool.
Unfortunatly Im 32 so its too late for me, but ill get my PPL soon. When I finish my Zed Ill go state side and pickup a decent IFR 150 and start there.
Then Ill add few 1/4 stick of dynamite on the wingtips and ill have more armament that a canadian squadren. Apperatently from what I know we are supposed to have some excellent fighter pilots who do extreamly well in the wargames and a few who have taken topgun. What do you expect we only have 60 or so f-18. I worked with a lot of vets and I have heard my share of stories.
Is it possible to take a tour or a airforce base in the US? Id love to do that.
Look up the number for the "Public Affairs" office for the base you want to visit. Just Google it. They can tell you about taking a tour.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBeni
Look up the number for the "Public Affairs" office for the base you want to visit. Just Google it. They can tell you about taking a tour.
Thanks thats what ill do next time im over the boarder
Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Enlisted or Officer recruiting?

(and I'm sorry)
Enlisted and working not too far from you. I work in Pekin.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Getting on as a pilot for the NG is not too hard, it all depends on how many slots they need to fill. I know alot of RAID or S&S units are now getting rid of thier OH-58A/C models for the EC-145's and those units are getting more aircraft then they had. So they are in need of pilots. I have seen guys walk out of High School and go. The NG has so many slots to fill or they loose those slots (slots meaning openings to go to flight school) to other units so when it gets close to crunch time they start to fill that slot with someone and those units do not want to loose those slots. If you happen to be ready to go then they will help you through, most recruiters have alot of other positions to fill and pilots are really not a priority since so many want to fly, and helping a new recruit do a flight packet takes alot of his/her time. You have alot of soldiers that join and then apply later to go. I have seen many of my friends go through and seen them here flying Apaches now. I was a crew chief on AH-64A/D's, at Bragg. When I was in you needed an act of god to get into WOFT with glasses (i have better then 20/20 when corrected), since the war pilots are jumping ship tired of all the missions and getting trapped in long tours with the Army. I know countless pilots trapped right now due to stop loss and pilots being denied retirement due to the need, especially AH64 stick wigglers. Being a pilot though has its moments ( I have a few hours in bell 206's, cessna's, and beech1900D's) and as much as I love being up there, it gets old with all the planning and performance charts. Not to mention all the prep involved. Good luck with school though, I had a friends of mine just finish up his flight school for hawks as well. Good luck, and remember the crew chief can be your best friend or your worst enemy so trust him

Damon
Old 03-04-2007, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBeni
F-15E WSO here. I have flight controls in the back though. I get the best of both worlds...flying and weapons I've been in training 2 years and have 1 more year to go. BTW, was Marine Corps gunner on CH-46E and CH-53D (Afghanistan and Iraq respectively).
NO NO you were a crew chief or AO hueys and cobra's are gun ships
Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

BadMonkey I just left Taji in 2005. I was a medic then and seening the Hawks during dust off is what really got me back interested. My new unit is over there now.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by dantastic01SS
Enlisted and working not too far from you. I work in Pekin.
Oh no ****. A Pekin Army JROTC was just at my school for our drill meet. They got JROTC overall 1st place too I believe. You should use that, should be like shooting fish in a barrel. We had a bunch of Marine recruiters show up to the drill meet too, they were all over the Marine JROTC kids.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

hey I was in Taji in 2005 with 4/3 avn
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Oh no ****. A Pekin Army JROTC was just at my school for our drill meet. They got JROTC overall 1st place too I believe. You should use that, should be like shooting fish in a barrel. We had a bunch of Marine recruiters show up to the drill meet too, they were all over the Marine JROTC kids.
Interesting tidbit though- I pretty sure almost every one of the guys in my ROTC det who had JROTC experience didn't commission.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Toasty
Interesting tidbit though- I pretty sure almost every one of the guys in my ROTC det who had JROTC experience didn't commission.
LOL! We have a couple kids with CAP experience and they are all pretty gay, but know the regs inside and out. The JROTC looked a bit tattered and there were some kids that I was seriously suprised the Army made uniforms big enough to fit...but eh every kid likes to play Army at some point in their life.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Veteran

i just had eye sight that was too shitty...now that is a downer..
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

you can get that corrected and they will take yuou.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
NKAWTG...N

I find out tomorrow if I'm gonna go to UPT or not So nerve racking

Quick Reply: Military Pilots IN Here!