Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I think they could have done a better job with it. They really could have put more thought into it.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
being at langley when the 22's first came out, i can vouch for the fact that yeah...it really *IS* amazing that people with a high school degree are fixing wut people with a college degree screwed up. within the first two weeks, if i remember correctly, one of the bay doors got jammed shut. lol, and of course, u gotta just about turn the jet on just to get the bay doors open.

im ammo, so when we go out there to d/l our munitions, we see some of the craziest things. some of it's user-error, but it's mostly manufacturer defect. i remember havin to work down in oceana for a month with the 22's and some A1C left the ladder up and closed the canopy.....yeah, that wasnt too pretty. busted that glass all over the place. luckily it was mids so they had enuf time to clean it up before daily flying.

but ive heard some funny stories where the 15s break down an the pilots get all pissed. lol.. heard somethin about how a pilot was walkin out to his jet, did the walk-around, started it up, realized it wasnt safe for flying, then proceeded to get out and kick the jet, walkin away in frustration.

Were you one of the guys that was out on the pad with a vacuum cleaner down in oceana? I work in Vehicle Maintenance and was down there for mobile maintenance support the night that the 22s came in. I couldnt believe the **** I was seeing that day.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol nope, i was down there, but the folks who were vacuuming the flightline (or at least parking apron) were volunteers who werent going "tdy" to oceana. i saw my old sup. vacuuming an thought it was hilarious. i wonder wut the navy thought of us when they saw all that in preparation for our 22s. i cant really say anything tho, coz oceana's flightline had some Christmas trees out there on the parking aprons, which really surprised me. the AF would circumsize every airman if they found a pebble on a taxiway, much less a parking apron. we are such pansies.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 AM
NKAWTG...N

FOD is a son of a bitch
Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
lol nope, i was down there, but the folks who were vacuuming the flightline (or at least parking apron) were volunteers who werent going "tdy" to oceana. i saw my old sup. vacuuming an thought it was hilarious. i wonder wut the navy thought of us when they saw all that in preparation for our 22s. i cant really say anything tho, coz oceana's flightline had some Christmas trees out there on the parking aprons, which really surprised me. the AF would circumsize every airman if they found a pebble on a taxiway, much less a parking apron. we are such pansies.

I dont think the Navy liked us being there one bit.Im sure they had a huge laugh watching them vacuum the concrete.There was no support from them whats so ever.Hell ,they couldnt even let us borrow a staircase truck from them lol. We ended up having to pull the top rails off are old raggedy Ford staircase truck and drive that turd all the way down there lol.That was a scary ride especially going through the tunnel.Huge *** pucker factor there.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I'll tell you something else that's jacked up...is the awards system. I've seen hard workers worthy of an award that didn't get one while those that sat on their *** and didn't do **** were appraised for saving the world.

Ya gotta love the unfair bastard NCO/SNCO's that write these for the wrong people.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you gotta love how they just bs their packages. Just isn't right. Especially for BTZ. One of the best airman in our shop didn't even get a package put in. Great worker, he never had ANY paperwork (which is a marvel in itself in our shop) and had college under his belt while he was in. It's just not right. That's actually my only motivation to stay in is to make rank and not be like the people that are doin all this dumb ****.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Wow....i thought this kind of stuff only happened in the cop career field due to being disgruntled. But I guess it affects all career fields. I've come to realize that the Air Force isn't for me. I've lost faith in the system for getting nice TDYS to specialty schools after busting my *** for every imaginable volunteer job known and trying to be the airman that is highly looked upon. But after being shafted of a TDY that I really looked forward to,I threw my morale out the window. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I enjoy being a cop, since my commander is a Combat Controller and all he does is drink beer all day and nurse his wound from being burnt from a non lethal weapons He talks to us like we are at the bar with him and keeps it real. I just wish the Senior NCOs were like him. But its the other way around. NCO's in my squadron are so cut-throat when their airmen screw up. So for me all I can say is that I have 2 years left and I don't plan to look back because my career field, unit, squadron leadership just sucks...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Malicious
That's ridiculous.... if someone needs improvement they need to be marked down. The entire system needs a revamp. A 3 should be the hey yeah he comes to work, conforms to standards and works fine. 4 is yeah he/she's pretty good, not the absolute best, and 5 is walking on water(old sup gave me that analogy).... give anyone less than a 5 now and you hose them.
Yep...my thoughts exactly. You'd have to get a DUI or do something just as stupid to get a '3'. It seems to be that many people use '5' as a baseline for rating and work their way down depending on the Airman, instead of using '3' as a baseline and rating higher based on performance.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
Yeah you gotta love how they just bs their packages. Just isn't right. Especially for BTZ. One of the best airman in our shop didn't even get a package put in. Great worker, he never had ANY paperwork (which is a marvel in itself in our shop) and had college under his belt while he was in. It's just not right. That's actually my only motivation to stay in is to make rank and not be like the people that are doin all this dumb ****.
For some reason I can't figure out who you're talking about. Don't think there's many of us left that haven't ever had paperwork of any kind.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Syzdek, he never had any paperwork and they REFUSED to write his package. It's not like they wrote it and he didn't get it. They just WOULDN'T DO IT. That really pisses my off.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ohh yea and cutout is in
I'll be in TAPS all week til fri. I'll uncap her thurs nite
Someday I'll get my LS6 intake
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice! Yeah, LS6 intake will definitely be a huge upgrade for your car.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm not in the AF, and after reading this, i'm guessing this is threw out the whole entire branch then? i was really looking into that field after i got tired of living in the real world, didnt expect it to be that "currupt" guessing it just barely began and the end is no where near to be found?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

What a good read. I like many others can relate to so much of what people are talking about. Im a crew chief like a few on here and can totally relate to all the BS they talk about. I'm in the B1 world and it is the worst now that it has ever been, we all say it. Its not just one guy spreading a bad seed....it just sucks. I used to enjoy coming to work and getting dirty on the line, a lot of us did. I used to have a lot more pride too, but now I just do enough to get by now and hopefully not get bitched out for something stupied or worrying about coming on the ******* weeked. I have worked so many damn weekends I wouldnt even know where to start and 12's for that matter. And ya know, I understand that sometimes you gota work more and longer but there have been a lot of times we are like WHAT THE **** are we doing here at 2am on a Sat. Another thing that I have noticed (I just hit my 8 year) is a good amount of the younger troops we are getting basically just ******* suck and I want to smash their head against the wall and **** down their throat. Im on my 5th troop now and I have learned a lot since my first. Right now my one of my three that I write on can't pass is EOC, whines all the time and is playing the profile card. The other day I caught him sleeping and went T.I. on him...we have some really good kids here but man what a bunch of **** bags we have too. There was a few when I was a younger amn but I see more now for sure!! So many of my good friends have got out or retrained. That is why I am so HAPPY to say that I am retraining and can not wait to get the **** out of maint. I fell under the 06 command leveling and in my AFSC 20 of 50 had to retrain that were put on the list. I was #22 on the list so it was pretty much a go for me. I was lucky, cause a staff second term goes no where in my career field. I put in for Fire Protection and got approved and now I will be going back to tech in Aug...I am so pumped. I have that feeling of excitement again. I've know that I got approved since Dec too and every day Im just as excited and the last day...hell even more now that its getting closer. I have heard nothing but good things from that side of the house and I cant wait to start a new career and maybe even a new base. Well guess Im done ranting now...this is a good thread, sometimes you just need to throw it out their!! Hopefully the AF will rebound and get better, I sure hope so cause I plan on doing 20 if not more.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
I'll tell you something else that's jacked up...is the awards system. I've seen hard workers worthy of an award that didn't get one while those that sat on their *** and didn't do **** were appraised for saving the world.

Ya gotta love the unfair bastard NCO/SNCO's that write these for the wrong people.
I'm not bitter or anything, but I got a lousy Achievement Medal for being at my last base for over 10 years when I left. I almost handed it back to the Commander that day.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Compstall
I'm not bitter or anything, but I got a lousy Achievement Medal for being at my last base for over 10 years when I left. I almost handed it back to the Commander that day.
Doesn't that warrant at LEAST a Commendation Metal?

Hell, it's still another extra point right?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Splitz
Doesn't that warrant at LEAST a Commendation Metal?

Hell, it's still another extra point right?
Well I thought so. Oh well, been in 14 years now and made all my rank w/ NO Commendations.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's fucked up.... achievement for 10 years of service at 1 assignment? You should have stabbed your supervisor in the eye.... But to get the good awards you have to be the desk jockey/phone guy apparently... the people who go home the dirtiest from doing the most work EVERY day don't get crap but oh hey thanks for the work, but why didn't you do this job again??? GRR
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
What a good read. I like many others can relate to so much of what people are talking about. Im a crew chief like a few on here and can totally relate to all the BS they talk about. I'm in the B1 world and it is the worst now that it has ever been, we all say it. Its not just one guy spreading a bad seed....it just sucks. I used to enjoy coming to work and getting dirty on the line, a lot of us did. I used to have a lot more pride too, but now I just do enough to get by now and hopefully not get bitched out for something stupied or worrying about coming on the ******* weeked. I have worked so many damn weekends I wouldnt even know where to start and 12's for that matter. And ya know, I understand that sometimes you gota work more and longer but there have been a lot of times we are like WHAT THE **** are we doing here at 2am on a Sat. Another thing that I have noticed (I just hit my 8 year) is a good amount of the younger troops we are getting basically just ******* suck and I want to smash their head against the wall and **** down their throat. Im on my 5th troop now and I have learned a lot since my first. Right now my one of my three that I write on can't pass is EOC, whines all the time and is playing the profile card. The other day I caught him sleeping and went T.I. on him...we have some really good kids here but man what a bunch of **** bags we have too. There was a few when I was a younger amn but I see more now for sure!! So many of my good friends have got out or retrained. That is why I am so HAPPY to say that I am retraining and can not wait to get the **** out of maint. I fell under the 06 command leveling and in my AFSC 20 of 50 had to retrain that were put on the list. I was #22 on the list so it was pretty much a go for me. I was lucky, cause a staff second term goes no where in my career field. I put in for Fire Protection and got approved and now I will be going back to tech in Aug...I am so pumped. I have that feeling of excitement again. I've know that I got approved since Dec too and every day Im just as excited and the last day...hell even more now that its getting closer. I have heard nothing but good things from that side of the house and I cant wait to start a new career and maybe even a new base. Well guess Im done ranting now...this is a good thread, sometimes you just need to throw it out their!! Hopefully the AF will rebound and get better, I sure hope so cause I plan on doing 20 if not more.
Have the same issues in Vehicle Maintenance. The quality of some of the people the military is letting in just sucks.That should change alot though with this redux going on.

Quick Reply: AF rant