Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Asvab

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asvab

So today I took the ASVAB at our highschool. I took it more or less just to see what the results would say and find out how well i could do. My question is- what the hell is this thing gunna tell me?? Also, what is a good score to get? I felt like the thing was pretty easy **Knock on wood.** I assume i got the exact same test as i would of got at the recruiting office, since this would have been a valid test to go into the military if i was a jr. (only a soph.) Pretty anxious to find out what i got.. but i gotta wait 2-3 weeks. Does the test help them decide what to put you in once you enter the service? I'm pretty fuzzy on how everyone gets their job, do you have any say in what you do or do they just throw you in somewhere based on ASVAB scores??
OR- is this thing much less than what it's hyped up to be?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
SCRWS6

31-49 passing score considered Bravo has limited options as far as jobs go
50-99 considered Alpha most jobs open depending on exactly what you scored and other qualifications
depending on what service you go into you might be able to pick the job or at least the general area you want to work in, otherwise the Asvab Interpretation is geared towards letting you know what field you might want to try for in the civilian world
I`m an Army recruiter in So Cal, so if you have any questions feel free, I know theres a few others on here so they might chime in too
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Anything 50 or higher is good this iscore is called your AFQT, after that it is broken down into line scores and like scrws6 said this will help determine what occupational fields/MOS's will be best suited to you. The ASVAB test score is good for two years so be prepared for the influx of recruiter phone calls from the Army and the Guard to begin in a few months and about this time next year the Marines, Navy, and the Air Force might drop a line. I just got off recruiting duty for the Marines so like scrws6 said any ? just pm me
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to know what they changed as far as the scoring went that changed peoples scores? I know my overall before was an 87 and they changed something and my score changed to an 89 overall. Stupid me, 89 overall and I selected a job that needed like 57 in mechanical
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

The main one to have good for any real job is the GT score, you want that above 110 points and you will be goos
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Malicious
Do you happen to know what they changed as far as the scoring went that changed peoples scores? I know my overall before was an 87 and they changed something and my score changed to an 89 overall. Stupid me, 89 overall and I selected a job that needed like 57 in mechanical
i know, right? u get a decent score and end up goin with the job description that sounds the coolest. thats wut i did, only to find out a trained monkey culd do most of the stuff we do. obveeuslee my ASSVAB skoor wuz hi

i know for the AF, we look at wut u scored in certain subjects, an depending on that score, u'll have a certain amount of jobs open up to you. my recruiter pointed out to me that when u sign the contract for ur training, it states that u are guaranteed a job in that career field that is listed on that paper. now, if that paper happens to get "misplaced," and u didnt make any copies, then u go to basic an list 5 jobs u wuld want, and the AF will pick for u. so, if u decide to enlist, remember - always make copies!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
SCRWS6

Just make sure you read every document....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
i know, right? u get a decent score and end up goin with the job description that sounds the coolest. thats wut i did, only to find out a trained monkey culd do most of the stuff we do. obveeuslee my ASSVAB skoor wuz hi

i know for the AF, we look at wut u scored in certain subjects, an depending on that score, u'll have a certain amount of jobs open up to you. my recruiter pointed out to me that when u sign the contract for ur training, it states that u are guaranteed a job in that career field that is listed on that paper. now, if that paper happens to get "misplaced," and u didnt make any copies, then u go to basic an list 5 jobs u wuld want, and the AF will pick for u. so, if u decide to enlist, remember - always make copies!
I actually don't mind my job, it's just unfortunate some of the drooling slobs that get slipped into the same job with me that makes it difficult. We got guys that have been in 2.5+ years and still require supervision for the most basic of basic tasks. I think some of that might be no confidence in themselves but some of the stuff some guys pull is amazing

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
Just make sure you read every document....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of the best advice there.... I think not reading the fine print is one of the worst things you could possibly do when joining ANY branch of the military.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the help, scrws6 i might have to shoot ya a pm when i get my results back. The army guy who gave the test said they would go over results and what they mean when we get it back in 2-3 weeks, but i'll prob. still post a new thread (if i cant find this one again) with my results to hear some comments. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Check your line scores. A "GT" score of 110 or higher should get you any Army job you want.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

all they did was change the scoring process
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

i took the asvab roughly 6 months ago got an 87 joined the USAF leave for boot camp may 8 and go to tech school in biloxi for ATC school....i was about to leave april 3rd open mechanical....glad that atc job opened up now i have a job with the highest suicide rate out there but at least im 100% positive of what job ill do going in rather than picking in boot camp

Quick Reply: Asvab