Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines Please Come In

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt0704
i commend you for wanting to be an 0311. but that's like boot camp until you pick up corporal. and you're still treated like ****. at least that's what i saw when i was with 1/5 for 5 years. the Scout Snipers were even worse. until you go to school to be a sniper, you get fucked with more, even if you're a Sgt..

SS MOS 8541 Does not come easy

Last edited by six8fbird; 04-15-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackws69
as far as you having three depedents should not be a show stopper for going active. sounds like the recruiter you talking to is trying to make sure he fills his quota for the reserve side. don't get me wrong nothing wrong with him trying to do his job. but if you want to go active go to another station and talk to them. this is the first time i've heard for someone having to many dependents. i mean if you have 9 then yeah a pvts pay is not going to support them. but get another opinion. i have two kids and is on deployment #2 in two years, but i wouldn't trade it for anything. being a 03xx is great, but if you're only going to do 4 and get out what do you plan on dong after the Corps? that is the question you have to ask yourself first. and it's good that your wife is supportive that's a big plus on your side. i've been in 15yrs four as a 0352 nand 11 as a mech. and 8 deployments later and i still love it. butfor gods sake do something you're going to enjoy doing or else you'll be miserable for however long you decide to stay in our little gun club. just know in 4 years you have the possibility in seeing iraq about 3 times. hope you get to go active.

Thanks for your comment's and yhea I think I will check with another station on the Dependent's thing. Do you mind if I PM you if I have any other question's???
Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Import is only half right here. Not ALL recruiters are bad. Hell, even Import knows one... You can join active with your family intact. PM me I will give you full details. You are better off just going active to avoid having any of those problems involved with the present deployment tempo with the reserves. You will be required to pass the IST prior to shipping to recruit training anyway. Have you done any work yet other than talking to a recruiter? Such as ASVAB or EST test? Run any type of documents or sign any types of paperwork? Are you talking to the PCS in Capitola or the RSS in San Jose?

I have taken the ASVAB and I am dealing with the station RSS in San Jose.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you guy's for all your comment's. I really appricate it and I am also reading these comment's with my wife. She said that you guy's are very informative and she say's thank you for the help. Well I know for sure I will be joining the Corps and got to talk to the wife about going active. If anybody else has any more advice I will be glad to read it.

Last edited by 1FASTBIRD; 04-16-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's Corps..
Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgt0704
it's Corps..

Sorry I fixed it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by import slayer
Did SSgt. Gomez have the tatoos on his knuckles?
Yeah, Dont know what happened to him, I know Lucero was with 3/2 last year and Bonner that guy scared the **** out of me.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
I have taken the ASVAB and I am dealing with the station RSS in San Jose.
Who is running the station up there now? When I came back in, I worked out there with them via the Capitola office. You can contact me any time as well since it is my job (as of next Thursday officially). Just don't commit to ANYTHING until you AND your wife both feel comfortable.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rahmnja
You'll be surprised how many people can fit in one ******* stall, how much water you can drink before lights out, how heavy 7lbs becomes after a couple of minutes. All good times though. Mike Co, I was mike when I went through.

Or how heavy that f-n towel can get...

Iron mike in the house!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rahmnja
You'll be surprised how many people can fit in one ******* stall, how much water you can drink before lights out, how heavy 7lbs becomes after a couple of minutes. All good times though. Mike Co, I was mike when I went through.

Lets not forget rifle manual with your foot locker, aftershave in the mouth and listerine on your chest, trying to tear your wash cloth with your thumb and pinky fingers, foot locker locks being hooked together and thrown down the squad bay becuase someone didnt have thiers set on "0", the "hog board" etc etc etc. God those were good times.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Nata, another guy that I am going to RS Seattle is going to be living there in Bellevue. We will be doing some training at the RS in mid-June. I will be there TAD from Kennewick where I am being stationed and don't think that I will be driving my car out there. If I can get them to fly me I will just fly there and save myself the miles. However, we should figure a time out that we can link up and grab a beer or something. 'Hog board'...they made the comeback in Iraq as well. Hadn't seen it SINCE bootcamp and then all of a sudden there one was at the CP. Set up the mini grinder!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definately have to hook up for some beers. The mini grinder.....lol!

One other note for anyone heading to recruit training. Never, and I mean NEVER leave a floater in the toilet. Double flush that thing if you have to. One recruit in my platoon left a floater and we were all lined up at the shiter with the platoon guide first in line and we were about to have to pass that thing front the front of the line to the rear of the line. The only thing that saved us was the Co. Gunnery Sgt. just walked into the squad bay and someone yelled "Attention on deck".
Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

That was planned then. My buddy is an LDO Captain now but when he was a Senior hat he used to coat the squad bay with liquid detergent and let the other hats loose. They would have garden hoses and be wetting it all down while screaming for the recruits to hustle and get field day done. Must have looked like female oil wrestling in that place when it was all over!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Definitely check with a different Recruiting station. I think you should be able to go Active Duty without any problems. I also suggest Active Duty. I've been with the Air Wing for almost 17 years now, and still love it. I'm about to sign my last reenlistment before retirement.

Don't worry about the whole family thing. You will miss them, and they will miss you. However, it makes times at home that much better. Now, we look forward to my deployments.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Like I said, check with me for any questions and I will give you the straight scoop. Hell I will even write the contract for you if you want. Then you always will no where to find me...on this board.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
Definitely check with a different Recruiting station. I think you should be able to go Active Duty without any problems. I also suggest Active Duty. I've been with the Air Wing for almost 17 years now, and still love it. I'm about to sign my last reenlistment before retirement.

Don't worry about the whole family thing. You will miss them, and they will miss you. However, it makes times at home that much better. Now, we look forward to my deployments.

Thank bro I will keep that in mind. Also I guess it will give me a lot of more motavation to get home to my family!!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Like I said, check with me for any questions and I will give you the straight scoop. Hell I will even write the contract for you if you want. Then you always will no where to find me...on this board.

Thank You and I will check in with you with any question I have.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Deal.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a MGySgt with 27 years active duty. I will tell you first off, Recruiters are not worse than car salesmen. They have the most difficult job in the Corps short of being on the front lines and are under more pressure than most Marines can imagine. To prevent anything unfavorable from happening, ensure that everything you are promised is in writing. Also, remember that your job choices (MOS's) will be limited to your scores on the ASVAB. Lastly, with a family of that size I could not recommend you becoming an 03. As honorable an MOS as it is, you will undoubtedley spend more time away than at home and if God forbid something should happen to you, you'll be leaving a whole lot behind.

Topfig
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Top and how is the new setup coming on the Hawk?

Quick Reply: Marines Please Come In